• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie has Pneumonia

estelle

Charlie had to go to vets today as i was really worried about him, he's had a nasty cough ever since we got him, his eyes are weeping green muck and his nose has been running, but this morning i came down to find him shivering and shaking :yikes :(
I rang the vets and they said to bring him along. They checked him over and told me he had pheumonia :( :( .
He had a antibiotic jab and i have to give him tablets and sprinkle some special powder onto his dinners to break up the mucus on his chest.
surprisingly he didn't have a temperature!
They said if he's no better by monday I have to take him in for chest x-rays :yikes :yikes
Has anyone else had any experience with this, i'm really worried although the vet said it's a mild case and hopefully we've caught it in time.
How has he got this?

Oh Estelle, how awful - you must be worried sick. Big hugs to you both and hope Charlie feels better soon.

Hope Charlie feels better soon. It's good that you brought him to the vet right away.

Lucky sends lots of good luck and warm wishes too for a speedy recovery! :flwr: (that sort of looks like a flower ... but really it is one of Lucky's 4 leaf clovers!)

Poor guy. Good thing you caught it early and the vet says it's a mild case. Good luck and hope he feels better soon.

Oh Charlie you poor boy... :(

this can be picked up by virus or caused by bacteria, my late Honey-Bee suffered with this almost all the time for many months due to a very poor, highly compromised immune system which Charlie will NOT have so don't worry....the powder breaks up the flem really well and helps alot, keep his fluids up little and often and make sure he rests..time will do the rest for him.

Did the vet take samples to find out if viral/bacterial? sometimes a foreign object can get caught in a lope and sets up the bacteria side of things, I think that is why he wants to do x-rays if he doesn't pick up...to be safe and catch it in time, even a tiny little object like a grass seed in the wrong place can do this....

I'm sure he will receive the very best care...keep him quiet and comfortable and if he does start to run a fever ring your vet for advice. :flwr:

Hope this helps,

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

estelle said:
Charlie had to go to vets today as i was really worried about him, he's had a nasty cough ever since we got him...this morning i came down to find him shivering and shaking :yikes :(
I rang the vets and they said to bring him along. They checked him over and told me he had pheumonia :( :( .
He had a antibiotic jab and i have to give him tablets and sprinkle some special powder onto his dinners to break up the mucus on his chest.
surprisingly he didn't have a temperature!
They said if he's no better by monday I have to take him in for chest x-rays :yikes :yikes
Has anyone else had any experience with this, i'm really worried although the vet said it's a mild case and hopefully we've caught it in time.
How has he got this?

Poor Charlie and poor you--no wonder you're worried. I would guess this could be related to his other symptoms too, becoming increasngly clingy, not eating much, low weight, and maybe related to the swollen tummy. Karlin had mentioned the possibility of worms--do you have a record of the last time he was dewormed? worms will not necessarily show up on a stool sample.

That he has pneumonia may explain why he perked up after you took him to the vet before, with the bloody stool, and they gave him antibiotics. But if he didn't continue taking antibiotics after that day, the bacterial infection (if he has one) in his respiratory tract could've gotten stronger when the remaining organisms not killed by the antibiotics continued to reproduce. Hopefully the antibiotics he is taking now will take care of the infection and he will recover from this mild case of pneumonia.

If he's had a nasty cough every since you got him, would this be considered a case of kennel cough? Even if he was vaccinated for bordatella, there are various other germs that can cause kennel cough.

Now that the vet knows what's going on with him, hopefully the right medication will cure him. If it is kennel cough, it sometimes will go away after a time, but when they are so young they are vulnerable.

I would think, if he's not eating well, you should continue to give him small amounts of boiled chicket breast 4 or more times a day, just a tablespoon, several very small servings. you could try combining the chicken and white rice, just a tablespoon altogether, and mushing it together with a little water so that it's blended enough that he will get a little rice, for more nutrients, but if he's at least eating the chicken, the protein will be good for healing.

when i got my puppy, he had bloody diarrhea from the beginning and the woman i got him from said stress can cause a flare up in things like worms because stress can lower immunity, allowing the normallly small number of organisms to get out of check. He hadn't had the diarrhea before i brought him home, so thats why stress was considered. She sent me anti parasite and deworming medications but by the time they arrived i'd already seen the vet and brought in a stool sample which was negative, so the vet didn't treat him for worms, but have him an antibiotic. It didnt' work,so they gave him the same thing again 3 times but he kept getting worse. after 4 weeks, another vet said deworming medication should be tried, despite three negative stool samples, just to be sure, and he immediately got better from that.

After the pneumonia is under control, if he still has swollen tummy or bloody diarrhea, you could talk to the vet about trying worming. my pup had been previously dewormed, but it seems that with the stress of coming to a new home and losing his "family" his immunity may have been weakened enough for remaining worms to flare up.

i hope you will have quick improvement with charlie on the antibiotics. While he's sick, i would not try to teach him to be alone and ignore his barking, except maybe at bed time when the whole house is quiet and it's easier for him to settle down. i may be wrong about that, but i would no doubt end up wanting to comfort him a lot and reduce his stress, until the cough is cleared up. It's so good to hear he doesn't have a fever.

Thanks for everyones kind words :flwr:
Once again he's perked up and is just how a puppy should be :D
Although unbeknown to us he's got this nasty we've still managed to teach him to sit (bless him).
I'll keep you posted with his recovery
Thanks

I haven't had any experience with this, but i feel for you both. :( At least the vet was able to give you some things to help poor little Charlie. Hopefully he is on the road to recovery now. You must be so upset, it's hard when they get sick. We wish Charlie a speedy recovery. :flwr:

Thanks for everyones kind words :flwr:
Once again he's perked up and is just how a puppy should be :D
Although unbeknown to us he's got this nasty we've still managed to teach him to sit (bless him).
I'll keep you posted with his recovery
Thanks

Estelle,

You said your puppy has been this way since you got him- I'm assuming from a breeder?
When we got our Charlie from the breeder, she mentioned to us that his brother had a cold and so Charlie was exposed to it, but that "most likely he shouldn't get it". Well, boy was she wrong! That first night Charlie showed signs of a cold w/ watery eyes & nose, and chest congestion. :( His congestion got so bad that we could hear it clearly when he breathed. He even vomited various times that night from it!

So, we took him to the Vet and of course he had an upper respiratory infection. He received antibiotics, and it took him four whole weeks (2 cycles of antibiotics) to finally get rid of his cold, poor thing.

We sent the bills to the breeder and she promptly paid for his medication.... maybe you can do the same?

Best of luck w/ him.

Certain states have different "laws" like the puppy lemon law etc... Sometimes a breeder stands by their pups regardless-- sometimes it is the law that if the puppy comes to you ill-- they HAVE to pay. I agree that if he came to her with a likely uri-- she could ask if she'd help pay (at the very least).

Oh Estelle, poor Charlie and poor you too. Sending positive healing thoughts the little fella's way for a speedy recovery :flwr:

I really hope he gets through this quickly. Puppies are so susceptible to things but such little fighters too. try and think positive and keep your chin up. I can't believe he's still learned to sit, bless him.

If he's perked up a bit tonight, that's a wonderful sign :flwr:

I was also hoping that Alison would post her for you and she has. Her little Hunnybuns suffered terribly but she was an ex puppy farm dog that had never been looked after in the way that your Charlie has - not until she went to live at Cavalier Palace (AKA Alison's house). The she knew love, caring and pampering until the very end of her days :flwr:

Estelle - wasn't able to check cavalier talk that much last week, Mollie had this also in the very beginning, check that Charlie does not sleep in any draughts - ie by french doors or anything like that the vet probably thought that's what caused Mollie to get worse.

We've had a blanket draped over his crate from the start to try and avoid things like this :roll: . we've had the heating on too since we found out thankfully the weathers picked up now.
I'm beginning to think that the woman we got him from knew :x he sneezed when we went for him, she said that cavaliers have really sensitive noses to perfume etc and that's probably why he's sneezing?? maybe this is true I don't know??
I've since found out that she's also selling pups of another breed :yikes and there were other things that were suspicious too when we think back :x
thanks for your concern :flwr:

i think you said he had a nasty cough from the day you brought him home. It seems very likely that she knew he was sick, or should have. she should pay for your vet bills. I wonder what kind of puppy lemon laws you have in the UK. Here, you could download a form from the state department of consumer affairs and fill it out and fax it, making a complaint, but first i would ask her to pay the vet bills and file a complaint only if she says no. I think it depends on your vet documenting that the puppy was sick within a certain time after you got him. did the vet catch the cough on his first puppy check up?

anyway, i sure hope he's still doing well and this will soon be behind him, and you. it's such a hard thing to go through, them being sick. it sounds like you're taking really good care of him. :flwr:

Yes the vet picked up on it and gave him a antibiotic & anti inflammitory jab, but we'd had him a week before we could get an appointment!
I don't hold out much hope of the woman paying anything towards his vet bills, hubby doesn't even want anything more to do with her, she said when we took him that she'd ring in a couple of days to see how things were, well the first night i rang her to say he had blood in his stools, she wasn't there but I told her sister (she was there when we bought him). To this day we havn't had a phone call or anything from them.
I know that you shouldn't buy a puppy who looks even the slightest bit unwell, but to be honest I think we did him a favour getting him out of there ;)
The place was filthy, covered in hairs everywhere i mean you couldn't even see what colour the carpet was supposed to be!
When I think back now it's obvious she was just in it for the money :x although it does say on the paper work if there turns out be a problem she would refund but it's not that simple we couldn't just hand him back it's not about the money to us which is why hubby doesn't want anything more to do with her.

I just hope we can make him well again

Estelle, I'm sure he will make a full recovery with your love and devotion. I think we can all be a bit niave with the first one, getting tied up with all the excitement - your judgement of other people gets distorted by it all.

At least you know he's in the best place now, with you.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

I think Charlie should be named "Lucky" too because he sure is a lucky dog to have such a devoted and loving mum as you!!! :flwr:

Back