• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help/Advice needed before midday!! Please

estelle

I know this is probably in the wrong place but I need some help/advice urgently regarding Charlies food.
He's currently on Pedigree puppy tins and seems to like them but I think maybe these are not the best quality? I don't like the thought of him eating all the rubbish that gets thrown in (if you know what I mean)!! :yikes
I'd like to give him puppy food with human grade meat/natural etc, were going to pets at home so hopefully I can find something there?
I've read some of the posts regarding which food to buy but i don't recognise them and don't think i've seen them anywhere :yikes
My other problem is he doesn't seem to like any kibble except Hills Science (I think because it's more moist and less dry) We were giving him James Wellbeloved untill he stopped eating it and then we tried the hills science sample we got from the vets but he will only eat very little now and will pick out the tinned food from his bowl and leave the kibble:sl*p:.

I need some help to find good grade food (both tinned and kibble) hopefully from pets at home?
If anyone has any reccomendations/ideas i'd be really grateful as i really need to find something today :yikes :yikes

Thankyou

Anything sold in supermartets isn't great quality and some of it is very trashy. Your dog will get the nutrition it needs but the ingredients are very poor (eg 'meat derivatives', 'poulty [instead of chicken or lamb, or a named meat] meal' which is stuff you don't want to think about -- ingredients that are primarily the leftovers from slaughtering and food manufacture or considered unfit for human cuonsumption, such as animals that arrive at abbatoirs sick or already dead -- the stuff people don't eat -- and lots of additives and e-numbers.

Don;t worry sbout whether a puppy likes a kibble. Many go thru fussy stages where they hold out on eating in order to get lots of attention from you (this almost inevitably follows, as you try to cajole them to eating, so. Most will prefer the attentiion to the food and start to hold out and get fiussy to see what you might try feeding next).

There are previous threads on the right way to approach feeding which would be worth reading.

If you are in the UK you have a good choice of healthy human grade dry food (Science Diet isn't one of them). You will need to either go to a good pet shop or with many of these foods you can order online. A good kibble will definitely cost more but usually you also feed less. I can tell you you gret much better poops -- smaller and less s,melly and messy on a good food.

In the UK I'd be using James Wellbeloved, Burns, Clinivet, or Royal Canin.

I also would NOT feed puppy food -- this is the recommendation of many good breeders. Too many nutrients that cause too fast bone growth. Neither of my boys got puppy food.

PS -- Why did you need to know this urgently by midday? icon_nwunsure Keep in mind that times like that don;t mean anything to people on the board, who come from all over the world. If you put your location in your profile then we could look at your post and know which part of the world you were based and therefore, what 'midday' you are talking about. :)

Hubby's getting another tattoo :roll: in Bicester at 12.30 and that's where our nearest pets at home is :D
Thanks i'll be looking for the one's you recommended :flwr:

Hi again, just an update
went to pets at home and have to say was really dissapointed with their range :x I think it must be one of the smaller ones couldn't get anything that was recommended so i'll have to try again somewhere else, anyway couldn't resist a little t-shirt for charlie to wear while he's got pheunomia it's baby blue with Spoilt written in little diamontes on the back ;) , Hubby thinks i'm mad!!
Tried to get some of the crazy dog shampoo aswell but they didn't have that either :(
Charlie does look all snug in his little t-shirt though icon_whistling icon_whistling

If you still struggle with the crazy dog shampoo, I can always send you what I have left (more or less a full bottle) of the wild berry one ( as I have said before it seems to make Merlin scratch (although saying that it could've been the fleas!!!)

Let me know - I can check our Pets at Home - its quite big - I'll be going next weekend after I have been to see the new new pup to shop shop shop so I can always get you some ;)

Thanks kirsty :flwr:
Am gonna send hubby into the branch at Slough where he works with a big list icon_whistling
thanks again

wooo don't rush into it, its such an important thing. There is lots you can probably feed to tide you over till you find the product your looking for.

Have you considered feeding a natural diet for a little while, just while he is sick and until you find a product you want to buy. It would be very interesting for him y'know human meat, veg, carbs etc with a few required supplements thrown in ? (Not sure what they are have to check with online people who use them and or vet).

My thinking was/is it may give his immune sytem a boost to have the fresh meat/fruit/veg and help him to get interested in food again and then when you are ready to start feeding him his new diet you can gradually start adding a bit with a bit of natural diet and eventually phase out the natural to have him just on the new one.

Oh dear I hope that makes sense, I think I have confused even myself with that waffle. Anyway please note I have not done this before and am not an expert as have never had these problems with my babies, its just a suggestion that came to mind, you may need to check it out with someone more experienced.

Hope your baby is feeling better soon. Love to him and happy new diet whatever you choose.

Back