• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Overweight Cavalier

BobPete

Adopted a 3-year-old Cavalier who is 10 pounds overweight. We have him on a Science Diet low fat diet. We give him 1/3 c. in the morning and 1/3 c. in the evening. Exercise is minimal as our lifestyle permits. Any other suggestions on how to win the Battle of the Bulge? h*lp

I would first suggest a different food, something better quality than Science Diet. There are many such options, many of which are listed on the Whole Dog Journal's annual list of their recommended foods:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=230&highlight=wdj+top+foods

I would also cut out all treats except for vegetables--bits of carrots, sugar snap peas, and apples are some of our dogs favorites. Also, adding a tablespoon of pumpkin to each feeding increases the fiber and makes them feel more full.

If at all possible, even with toys indoors a a laser light (favorite of ours during the winter), find some way to add exercise. It's not only good physically, but mentally as well. Every dog needs some exercise, part of owing a pet is making sure this is available. Even if you toss the food to make the dog work for it, that's exercise. Heart disease is so common in this breed, and increased weight only compromises this, even more reason to find the time for exercise.

have a read through this:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

If you have eliminated a medical reason why your dog isn't losing weight -- eg a thyroid problem -- then feed half a cup total a day, or a third cup. Put it in a treat ball so the dog gets exercise trying to get the kibble out.

Find ways to exercise the dog -- mine all play fetch inside for example with a mini tennis ball and even in a small house, this gives them a good workout each day.

I'm just in the process of changing dog foods for my overweight girl. Over the weekend I purchased Innova EVO for Sophie - she doesn't seem to be able to lose any weight even with the reduced calorie Nat. Balance. I'm also still supplementing with small bites of apple, banana, froz. green beans, carrots.

And TRYING to keep her treats at a very, very minimum - at least breaking them in two!

Sheri

If you have stairs, you can run him up and down the stairs chasing a ball, laser light etc. Any kind of exercise should be started slowly and gradually (just like in humans). Being overweight is hard on most everything.

Bruce:

I think your post should have read "being overweight is hard on almost ALL of us" :lol:

Sheri

Back