• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Royal Canine

Baileyboy

Quick question,

Bailey has eaten Royal Canine since he was born, he's seems very healthy. His eyes and coat are good and his poo's are always fine.

But my lodger (who's no vet) says that the dry food is not good for them and dry's their inside out.

He used to work with greyhounds and keep's telling me I should feed him this and feed him that, give him cod liver oil and for his coat....

He said dry food is just for owners convienence. He said I should cook him meat with pasta and give him weetabix with milk for breakfast.

Now I'm in two minds and feel guilty (in my own home) for what I'm feeding Bailey....

Bailey has Royal Canine twice a day and I normally give him no more than 3 treats a day (recommended on pack) and bits of carrot or fruit.

Does this sound ok to everyone ?

Hi Kerry,

It sounds fine to me and if I were you I'd be telling my lodger to either mind his own business or find somewhere else to live :badgrin:

Royal Canin is one of the better dog foods and I don't really think that we feed dry just for convenience. Good quality dry foods contain all the essential vitamins and minerals that our dogs need and if you were just giving your dog pasta, meat and weetabix he'd soon start to develop deficiencies.

If dried foods are just for convenience then why do lots of Vets also feed them to their dogs and why are lots of them now developed by Vets?

When you say he used to work with Greyhounds, did he work with racing Greyhounds? If so, this is an industry that is well known for cruelty and lack of care. Need I say more?

I would very politely tell this person that when he has his degree in Veterinary science and nutrition then he can come back and tell me what to feed my dog. Until then, butt out ;)

I'm definately no expert but i've heard other people feed weetabix for brekkie, scrambled egg and cheese?????

I think giving 'real' foods are a nice option -- but you do need to research what is appropriate and understand dog nurtition. Fish oils are good for the coat and weetabix are good for roughage. I feed 'real' meat every week -- chciken or beef usually, also once a week, some tinned sardines or mackeral (so I know the bones are very soft).

There are recipes for homecooked meals in the Caring for your cavalier section of the Library. And there are any books on home-cooked meals for dogs.

I don't think you need to feel guilty about sticking with dry but why not consider adding boiled chicken, a bit of cooked mince, or sardines a few times a week? Bet your dog will love it. Just reduce the amount of dry by the amount you a adding in fresh meat.

Thanks Donna, That's what I wanted to hear...

I'll have to check if he worked with racing greyhounds..

I will thank him kindley for his advice !! before packing his bags :lol: :lol:

Thanks again

I agree with Donna and Karlin! tell him to butt out!

I feed Merlin on bakers complete ( which I think is probably not a very good one) but his coat is shiny, he's happy, he doesn't appear to have any problems with it. I always add minced chicken on top ( just a sprinkle or so for extra taste and texture) and he's fine.

I tried weetabix for the first time yesterday morning - Merlin seemed interested in mine so I poured what I had left in my bowl in his bowl nd he lapped it up! He looked so funny with "weetabix chops". :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone,

I always give him a treat at lease once a week usually chicken....

His favourite day is Sunday cause granddad always spoils him with roast chicken, lamb or beef :D :D

I normally feed my lot the biscuits, either mixed with chicken, mince and carrott, and also tuna - just so they have variety normally every other night...... and then a few treats.

Back