• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi Everyone! my name is Emma and here is ... Daisy!

emmawright

Hi Everyone, i just want to say what a great website this is!

I got my new Cavalier puppy on Saturday, and she is a joy!

She is 9 weeks old and i love her! She is really enjoying her new home, and loves all of her toys. We both had a sleepless night last night, but hopefully she will be settled in soon. I took her to the vet last night for a check up and she has had ulcers on her eyes, which the vet says are going to get better, but her eyes arent quite right, i hope she keeps ok. She also had cystitus but that has all cleared up now which is good.

Has anyone else had a pup with eye ulcers?

Now a bit about me, i am 23 and live in plymouth, england. I have never had a cavalier before but she is great, a real bundle of energy!

I am going to try and attach some pic's of her for you all to see! (if i can figure out how to attach them !)

Tried to attach photos... not sure if it worked though!

29689907@N00

Hi Emma and welcome to you and Daisy :flwr:

She looks a little bundle of love :D Have you been back to the breeder and told him/her that Daisy has had ulcers on her eyes? Surely they should have noticed?

I honestly think I would ask for a referral to an Opthmologist Vet just to make sure there was no lasting damage.

You can find more info on the subject here....

http://www.eyevet.info/corneal_ulcer.html

I'll be perfectly honest with you here, if it was me with a puppy who had had ulcers on their eyes at such a young age, I would be worrying about Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) or Dry Eye. This is something that Cavaliers can suffer from.

There's a few people on here who have had Cavaliers with this problem so if you need any help then just shout.

Take care and really good luck with your little angel, she's beautiful :flwr:

Meant to say that if you click on an individual photo you'll get an address like http://www.flickr.com/photos/29689907@N00/241397973/ in the address bar. Highlight this and then click on Img (next to message body just above the box on here that you type in).

You should then be able to see your pics on here - I say should - doesn't always work and you might have to wait for Karlin ;) :lol:

Hi, Emma icon_welcome Daisy is a cutie pie! I love that pic of her with her toy. Such a sweet expression.

Hi Emma and welcome:

She looks adorable!

I'd be a bit concerned about any breeder who would sell a puppy with the health problems you mention though -- in particular eye ulcers. Did you report these problems back to the breeder and are they aware the pup has been diagnosed with these? Did the breeder follow the usual practice of having her puppies vet cleared before homing? DFo you have a homing contract with the breeder? This should state that the pup is in good health when she went to you and the breeder should be liable for costs for health problems if they sold a pup with those problems.

Corneal ulcers can also be a breed problem and can be quite painful. The breeder for this reason should be informed if only to remove the parents of this puppy from her breeding program, if the ulcers are genetic and not due to some other cause. If she has ulcers be aware she may need drops and treatment for life.

Also, are you sure she is 9 weeks old? To me she looks a bit younger and if so, this would be a cause for concern -- she just seems very small and more like about a 6 to 7 week old pup. Do you have proof of the birth date through her Kennel Club registration?

If she is under 9 weeks this has implications for when you vaccinate and also she wshould really be with the mother until 8 weeks at least. You just want to make sure her immune system isn't put under pressure at the wrong age. I may be totally wrong and she just may look a bit younger than she actually is. (y)

PS try reducing the size of your pics by about 50% next time you post some -- it makes it easier for those of us with smaller screens to enjoy them. Right now they are too large to see the whole pic at once for some people. :) As they are Flickr pics you can just choose the medium or small size and copy that url.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies, i got my pictures on ! hooray!

thanks to Maxxs_Mummy for your reply. I am a bit concerned about Daisy eyes, but they are better than they were, so i am hoping that it will all be ok. I am putting cream into her eyes and am going back to the vet on friday so i will have to see what the vet recommends. The vet did put in a special dye into her eyes, and she said that if daisy had ulcers then it would change colour, and it didnt , so the vet says she might just be recovering having had ulcers before.

I did know that when i got Daisy she had an eye infection, i didnt actually know until the day i was scheduled to pick her up though as it wasnt till the last minute that i was told, so it was a bit of a shock. but like i said, she is better now than she was. I decided to take Daisy from the breeder, even though the breeder told me that she had an eye infection and she was on eye cream, and i was given Daisy for free (rather than the £600 that i had in my hand bag). It was a risk taking Daisy as i know she might have a problem with her eyes, but i thought it was worth the risk. I just hoped , and still do, that she keeps ok. I appreciate the link that you gave me, i shall have a good read of that in a minute.

But i would appreciate any messages from people who have experienced this with their cavalier too ?

Thanks again emma and daisy x

Info from the CKCS club of Canada:

Corneal ulcers - A corneal ulcer is a break in the outer layer (epithelium) of the cornea. It is dangerous and should be treated promptly. Large ulcers may be seen by the naked eye as dull spots or depressions on the surface of the cornea. Smaller ones are usually seen after the eye has been stained by fluorescein (an orange-red powder used to make dyes, which is used in solution applied topically to the eye to detect injury to the cornea). By definition, uncomplicated ulcers, while usually painful, should heal in three-four days with appropriate treatment (usually antibiotic ointment, but not one with cortisone’s in it, as the cortisone could delay healing and predispose to rupture of the eye) - check with your vet before administering treatment).

Ulcers that last longer than three-four days are usually seen to be complicated ulcers. There are two broad categories of reasons of why ulcers fail to heal. The first category is ulcers that fail to heal due to external causes. These external causes can include ongoing trauma due to other eye conditions such as entropion (the abnormal rolling in of the eyelid); or trichiasis (facial hair in contact with the eye as a result of facial conformation); or foreign bodies lurking behind the third eyelid, embedded within the eyelid, or within the cornea itself; or abnormally placed eyelashes. Also unresolved infections in the conjunctiva, glands of the eyelid margin, or within the tear duct may cause corneal ulceration. Unless these external causes are also treated, the corneal ulceration will not heal. The other category of why ulcers fail to heal deals with internal reasons, such as other eye diseases and primary tissue healing problems.

A number of diagnostic instruments and techniques are used to properly diagnose the reasons for a complicated corneal ulcer. It is important to note that if an ulcer becomes very deep, it will need to be treated quite aggressively in order to save the eye. As corneal ulcers are a frequent problem in veterinary medicine, you are encouraged to seek appropriate treatment rather than dismissing it.

I hate to say this but this sounds very strange for a breeder to give away a cavalier for free because it has an eye problem... or to home a dog with an eye ulcer knowing she has it. Do you know anything about this particular breeder? Are they registered with the UK cavalier club or the Kennel Club?

hello, yeh i know i was totally surprised when she said that she wouldnt charge us. i got her name from the cavalier club, she was recommended by the secretary for my area and i was told she was the best breeder. but daisy seems really well in herself.

Hi there! Daisy is sooooo precious, those photos where she is sleeping are so adorable! I hope that her eyes clear up OK!

I agree with Karlin. A breeder who would 1) wait until the last minute to tell you a puppy has a health issue, 2) home a puppy with a known health issue, 3) "give away" a puppy with a health issue raises red flags. A reputable breeder would let you know before you arrived to pick up a dog that a health issue has come up. The breeder would keep the dog while it is being treated and then, when it is healthy, send it home with you with the understanding that you could talk to the breeder about the health problem should it come back. Besides all of that, a reputable breeder would probably NOT send a puppy, healthy or ill, to a home until it is probably 10 or 12 weeks old.

Just because the club has the breeder on their list does not necessarily mean the breeder is 100% ethical.

There is a lot of info on this site (as well as others) that can provide information about reputable breeders vs those breeders who do not have their dogs' best interests at heart. Often, these breeders are most interested in money. My gut reaction, for what it is worth, is that your breeder may have given you the pup for free because the breeder knew the dog's health issues would be costly. By unloading the dog to you -- at a bargain, unfusable price!-- the breeder no longer feels liable for the cost of caring for a dog with health problems.

It sounds like you are head-over-heals in love with your little one already, though. No one is suggesting that you shouldn't be or that your pup doesn't deserve your love and care. It is important, though, to know that your breeder could -- by law?-- be responsible for some of the costs for treating the pup's problems. A dog who does not come from a breeder who is concerned about the health of his/her pups could be at risk for more health issues, potentially expensive ones. It is important for you to be aware of the potential health problems in the breed and to know your rights as a new owner.

I know it may seem like your first post is getting a lot of negative responses. I hope you dont feel upset by that. Really, we just have seen what some really underhanded and sneaker breeders can do to caring, loving dog owners and we dont want you to suffer like many of us have. Regardless of what you choose to do once you learn of the situation your pup is in and what you expect of your breeder, we'll love to see more pictures of your cutie and to hear about the ups and downs as you experience puppyhood. So please come back and continue to post.

Best wishes,

Cindy

I would definitely inform the club of what happened with this puppy. No breeder should be homing a puppy with a potentially serious eye problem and also, giving it away because it has the problem. This just doesn;t make sense.

Eight weeks would be normal for homing puppies in the UK and Ireland; only a few breeders wait til 10 or 12 weeks; so 9 weeks, if the puppy is that age, would actually be a little later than normal. She just seems very small and young looking for 9 weeks.

Karlin said:
Eight weeks would be normal for homing puppies in the UK and Ireland; only a few breeders wait til 10 or 12 weeks; so 9 weeks, if the puppy is that age, would actually be a little later than normal.

Hi, Karlin. I dont mean to hijack the thread, but why would breeders, known to be reputable, send pups home at 8 weeks? Are there logical reasons that showing homing them at that age is good for the pup?

If there isnt a sound logic and there are the detrimental reasons to homing so young (that we've discussed repeatedly on the boards), can the breeder still be considered ethical/reputable?

Just curious about how the cross-cultural understanding of what constitutes a reputable breeder... Perhaps I should have started a separate thread. (Feel free to move this comment.)

Welcome Daisy and Emma, it may be worth contacting the cavalier club to inform them of this "breeder", if they are giving names out then they are at risk themselves.... on a happier note I hope that Daisy's eyes are getting better, and that you buy her lots and lots of nice stuff and post lots of pictures.

Ohh Emma I am feeling your pain on hearing bad news about your breeder. :( I got my Ella at 8 weeks but as we now know this woman is not ethical. Daisy sure is a cutie-pie lets just pray that even though our breeders might be morally challenged that our little ones surprise us all and turn out to be healthy happy little buggers. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Back