PDA

View Full Version : Warning



Maisie's Mom
12th September 2006, 10:55 PM
Very sad! :( I just heard about a woman whose dog died after ingesting floor cleaner that contained anti-freeze. I guess the dog just walked on the newly washed floor and then licked his paws. So, from now on, I will check all the ingredients in any products that the dog could potentialy come into contact with.

Also, along the same lines. Does anyone have a list of allergins for dogs (both food and other), especially Cavs?

Thanks,
Lisa

Lani
12th September 2006, 11:00 PM
Wow! That is horrible. They didn't mention the brand name/type the floor cleaner, I guess?

It is a good lesson to be careful.

I think this is a good link to look at for info on animal toxins:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc

Maisie's Mom
12th September 2006, 11:06 PM
I believe the product was the cleaning liquid (comes in a container) that comes with the Swifter mop. I think many cleaning products contain anti-freeze but may not be called anti-freeze in the ingredient listing. By the way, this dog was a lab so I would imagine small dogs like Cavs are even more vulnerable.

WoodHaven
12th September 2006, 11:27 PM
while it is always a good idea to keep cleaning products away from all animals-- the swiffer was a hoax
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

Maisie's Mom
12th September 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

*Pauline*
12th September 2006, 11:33 PM
Did you know that raisins can kill a dog.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm

You can "Google" the words "raisin" and "dog" and you'll find lots about it.

Remali
13th September 2006, 12:28 AM
Scary nonetheless.....you know though, I have always wondered about that very thing though, would be nice to know which floor products were more pet friendly.

Lisa_T
13th September 2006, 12:40 AM
Pet friendly cleaners are so expensive! I keep Holly out of the rooms with hard floors until they're dry. However, I have been using Johnson's Clean'n'Safe lately. It's a detergent/disinfectant in a spray, smells pleasant, and apparently pet safe. It was lovely to make a solution for swabbing down the back yard without worrying.

WoodHaven
13th September 2006, 12:46 AM
Light bleach solutions dry to be non toxic. You can also use vinegar. Both clean and kill germs.
Macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs.

Cathy T
13th September 2006, 04:11 AM
I clean my linoleum floor with Ivory dish soap. Cuts the grime and doesn't leave a film.

judy
13th September 2006, 09:14 AM
Light bleach solutions dry to be non toxic. You can also use vinegar. Both clean and kill germs.

I have found that vinegar is an awesome weed killer. When i first used it a couple of years ago, i thought it wouldn't work as well as the highly toxic products but i was willing to sacrifice effectiveness and was willing to have to apply it more often, in return for having the greater safety and peace of mind. But in the places where i put the vinegar, the weeds have not grown back after two years. What i have is a product i got on the web after doing a search for "nontoxic weed killers" or something like that, i think it's called Burnout. It started working very quickly and the effect was permanent. I just used it on weeds coming up through the patio cracks. I don't know how well it would work on a larger area.

Nicki
13th September 2006, 10:30 AM
I am very wary of cleaners, tend to use things from the Ecover range as this is kinder to the environment, and a Polti steam cleaner which cleans and sterilises. Expensive to buy but a wonderful investment...