• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lawn Weed Killers, safe or not?

*Pauline*

I don't use any chemicals in my garden but I am being nagged by my landlaord to get rid of the Clover in the lawn. I would use a Weed&Feed treatment on my grass but ONLY if it is safe for pets. Do you know of any I can get in the U.K.? I don't mean a spot treatment, I know "Roundup" is OK for that. icon_nwunsure

I use Weedol, I read the box and check at the garden centre - you have to let it dry before you let any animals or kids out - I normally give an hour or so if sunny....... I have used it a number of times and the dogs are fine.

I'm not sure what hubby uses for the lawn weeds but for everything else in the garden I use stuff by a company called 'growing Success' they are environmentally friendly and asfe for pets, children and garden animals/wildlife. Very important to me to protect the natural wildlife as well :)

I will have a look for that - still have the slow worms, and frogs in the garden so doesn't seem to be that harsh on the environment.

Don't know if you've heard of Jerry Baker. He's a garden guy that only uses safe/natural garden treatments. He has all sorts of concoctions that seem to work. I haven't tried any of his weed remedies, but it may be worth a read... Here's an excerpt from his website re: weeds. Looks like he's recommending weed killer for stubborn weeds, but also mentions a tonic to keep weeds from sprouting up...

Q: I pull weeds till I'm blue in the face, and they always come back. How can I eliminate them?

A: The most basic requirement for weed control is proper lawn maintenance. Thick grass actually crowds out weeds! So make sure that you're mowing your lawn properly, and that there is good soil and adequate fertilization. If you're still having problems, then you've got to haul out the heavy artillery - chemical controls. Be sure to always purchase weed killers that are labeled specifically for the type of lawn that you have. For best control, shampoo your lawn first with my Plant Shampoo, then apply the controls at the recommended rate. Next year, before weeds pop-up, apply my Pre-Emerge Weed Control Tonic: 1 cup of Plant Shampoo, 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, and 2 tbsp. of instant tea in a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, filling the jar with water. Then follow up with a commercial pre-emergent type control to help prevent weed seeds from sprouting.

His website is jerrybaker.com

Back