PDA

View Full Version : Bellybuttons

cecily
14th September 2006, 09:38 PM
Rio has a bellybutton. :yikes

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/cecilymurray/resize_2006_0914Riobellybutton0017.jpg

We've been told it's no big deal. The vet says it's just a bit of fat that's popped out. If it was lower down it might be a problem because it would be her intestine sticking out, but as it is it's not doing her harm. He says we can get it removed when we get her spayed.

Just wondering if any of you had experience of this and what you did about it, if anything?

Maxxs_Mummy
14th September 2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, Maxx had one as a puppy. It's called an umbilical hernia and the vet can just pop it in when spaying - no problems at all.

matties mum
14th September 2006, 10:28 PM
Barney had and still has a belly button the vet said it would go when he is bigger and if I am worry about it they would sort it out :) Aileen

Karlin
14th September 2006, 10:41 PM
Most just get reabsorbed; they are called umbilical hernias. Sometimes when it is an actual opening it needs to be fixed but I wouldn;t bother doing anything if it doesn;t need doing. Most breeders suggest leaving them alone -- even some of the 'holes' close.

Coco's mom
15th September 2006, 05:37 AM
Hi there,
Coco also has an umbilical hernia. :( It's supposedly fairly common in this breed and not a big deal as others have mentioned. I was told that sometimes the hernia goes away on its own, otherwise the hernia is fixed during the spay/neutering surgery.

Baileyboy
15th September 2006, 10:08 AM
Bailey has one too, I thought it was normal.... Untill now !

Claire
15th September 2006, 10:45 AM
Busta has one also - the vet checked it out and it is hard now and has formed so no need to pop it back in or worry about it.

kaylanova
15th September 2006, 11:29 AM
Don`t worry about it, very common thing our baby Kayla had it as well. It will will go as she gets older naturally. We did not need the vet to pop it back in.

joanna
15th September 2006, 11:45 AM
Twinkle had the very same. She's ten months now and it's gone.

Joanna

cecily
15th September 2006, 05:29 PM
Wow.. I had no idea it was so common!! Thanks. I'll let Rio know she's not a freak after all ;)

Baileyboy
15th September 2006, 05:35 PM
Aarrhhhhh Hope you haven't been telling her she's a freak... You've proberly scared her for life now ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

duncans_ma
15th September 2006, 06:21 PM
Duncan has one too! Our vet didn't fix it when he was nuetered and just said that if we ever notice it changing in any way to bring him in. Otherwise, it is just an outie!!

Nisha
17th September 2006, 04:33 AM
yea my Milo had an umbilical hernia too... we just got the vet to remove it when we got him spayed..