• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bellybuttons

cecily

Rio has a bellybutton. :yikes

resize_2006_0914Riobellybutton0017.jpg

We've been told it's no big deal. The vet says it's just a bit of fat that's popped out. If it was lower down it might be a problem because it would be her intestine sticking out, but as it is it's not doing her harm. He says we can get it removed when we get her spayed.

Just wondering if any of you had experience of this and what you did about it, if anything?

Yes, Maxx had one as a puppy. It's called an umbilical hernia and the vet can just pop it in when spaying - no problems at all.

Barney had and still has a belly button the vet said it would go when he is bigger and if I am worry about it they would sort it out :) Aileen

Most just get reabsorbed; they are called umbilical hernias. Sometimes when it is an actual opening it needs to be fixed but I wouldn;t bother doing anything if it doesn;t need doing. Most breeders suggest leaving them alone -- even some of the 'holes' close.

Hi there,
Coco also has an umbilical hernia. :( It's supposedly fairly common in this breed and not a big deal as others have mentioned. I was told that sometimes the hernia goes away on its own, otherwise the hernia is fixed during the spay/neutering surgery.

Busta has one also - the vet checked it out and it is hard now and has formed so no need to pop it back in or worry about it.

Don`t worry about it, very common thing our baby Kayla had it as well. It will will go as she gets older naturally. We did not need the vet to pop it back in.

Wow.. I had no idea it was so common!! Thanks. I'll let Rio know she's not a freak after all ;)

Aarrhhhhh Hope you haven't been telling her she's a freak... You've proberly scared her for life now ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Duncan has one too! Our vet didn't fix it when he was nuetered and just said that if we ever notice it changing in any way to bring him in. Otherwise, it is just an outie!!

yea my Milo had an umbilical hernia too... we just got the vet to remove it when we got him spayed..

Back