• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

thumbprint

angie

im on a roll now with my questions. sorry icon_whistling icon_whistling jadan has the spot or thumbprint or losenge, what ever you want to call it and i have had so many different accounts on what it means that i thought i would share mine and maybe get some others back. i didnt realise it had a meaning until people commented. jadan was picked by my son because he was the only one out of the litter that happily sat on his lap with out wrigling. and still loves his cuddles now. but i didnt realise how many stories surrounded this spot. my sister thinks it was meant to be as i had an operation on that very same part of my head when i was young. anyway. i have heard that he can be served at the ritz hotel london free of charge and they have to provide free boarding too because of a law that hasnt changed passed by king charles. i have heard that he is allowed access to areas that other dogs are not because of the same law. and the weirdest one that they got there spot because the ladies of the day used them as underdress warmers (hence lapdog) and that a certain queen held onto ones head at that point to long and hard on her way to execution that a blood spot appeared which has stayed ever since. are there any more out there and does anyone know if any are true? :flwr: :flwr:

According to several authors of Cavalier books, the Duchess of Marlborough held a pregnant spaniel on her lap and repeatedly pressed her thumb on the bitch's head while worrying about her husband the Duke as he was away fighting in the battle of Blenheim. When the news arrived to her that her husband survived the battle, the bitch whelped her puppies and they all had the thumb print on the top of their heads, now known as the blenheim spot. :flwr:

Yes, because Charles II famously refused to be parted from his beloved spaniels, much to the disgust of his ministers who (obviously) did not appreciate them. Supposedly Cavaliers are allowed in all public buildings and even into parliament since the relevant laws passed by Charles II were never repealed. However, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I believe there are still laws about it being ok to kill a Scotsman or Welshman if you're English, but I don't imagine any court of law would admit it now! :lol:

Having said that, I'd think the law in question would apply more properly to the King Charles rather than the Cavalier. Anyone know? Certainly it would be interesting to test, but you'd need to find a way to check that the law does exist, and is still valid... but if it is, it'd be marvellous :D

Re the spot- the queen referred to in the first post is almost certainly Mary, Queen of Scots, although I had the idea that she owned a terrier rather than a spaniel. Dog died a week after Mary's execution- it hid under her skirts on the way to the block, and after Mary's beheading, it apparently lay for several hours between the body and the head. They took the dog away, but it refused to eat and subsequently died...

..and I've heard the Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough story as well. Personally I think it's the most likely given 'Blenheim'!!!

Apologies for a rather gory post....

wow! one of my boys - Monty - has a lozenge or spot or whatever on his head... i had never even heard aby of these stories about it icon_nwunsure ...interesting (y)

I've read that story too, it's interesting isn't it?! Bentley has the lozenge/thumbprint on his head, altho it is slightly connected on the sides, but it's a nice round one!

Yep, the lozenge spot was supposed to have appeared after the Duchess of Marlborough was pressing her little girl's head whilst worrying about the Duke. Their home was Blenheim Palace (a beautiful place not too far from me) and that's where the Blenheims took their name.

Also, a law that was passed by King Charles II, still stands today that these little dogs can enter any public place, including the Houses of Parliament! However, I think that with the food hygiene laws as they are etc you would be hard pressed to get your dog/s into any public place.

Maybe I will take a trip to my local court buildings and see if I can get my two in. If an usher tries to stop me I shall say that they are allowed under the laws passed by HRH Charles II so go and look it up, buster :badgrin:

Oh, do, and let us know! I managed to get Holly round B&Q (imagine banning a dog from a hardware store!) by saying that although not officially a hearing dog, she does act as an assistance dog in many ways. Guy was quite happy to let her in under those circs, and Holly was happy too 'cos I placed her in the trolley seat.. :D :D

Some places around here are making an effort to be dog friendly-- we have MANY dog supply places that encourage people to bring their dogs-- and there are some restaurants that allow dogs outside on the patio. I can see many store owners concerns-- not all dogs are people friendly (or strange dog friendly).
The blenheim spot is an interesting marking-- I had someone tell me my red and white dog wasn't a blenheim because it doesn't have "the spot". Hey, she does have the "lucky elbows". lol

wow great stories.... any more? would be great if this law was true. when i put it to my hubby he said " the pup would be welcome at the ritz with open arms...but we would get chucked out or given bread and water while he dinned on cucumber sandwiches" :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway....jadan doesnt like cucumber :p ;) :p

Hahaha Angie, I like that. Sounds about right for me and my hubs too. We live in jeans, joggers & casual stuff. I detest having to get dressed up for parties and things too - I'd rather go out with the dogs :lol:

But hey, we have had lunch in Harrod's - who needs the Ritz? :lol:

The spot has also been seen on many old English paintings going back to 1550 long before all the Marlborough tales which are dated around
1704 when the battle of Blenheim took place, this is the battle that Sarah the Duchess of Marlborough awaited her husbands return from when she is supposed to have imprinted the first Cavalier with this spot with her thumb.

In 1550 the French artist Metsys' painting also shows a small
red and white spanial with the prize lozenge!

Blenheim palace isn't far from my home and it is a lovely family day out, the palace has some beautiful old paintings of Cavaliers with their families and the gardens are lovely to walk in, so full of history, anyone visiting the U.K with a love of Cavaliers should take the time to visit.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

There is said to be a ghost at Blenheim of a little cavalier of couse it is a blenheim If your are lucky the dog comes down the main stairway Aileen

Back