• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Firm Poo---Woohooo!!

Denise G.

My 7 month old, Mia, has had poo problems (including colitis) since I got her. The vet put her on a week's worth of antibiotics which took care of the colitis, but she was still pretty "loose" if you know what I mean.

Someone suggested trying Natural Balance Potato Duck recipe mixed with pumpkin. So I put her on the kibble and wet version of this food. She seemed to like it pretty well, but her poo was still pretty loose--though somewhat better.

Then, I bought some Sam's Yams. I had heard of them before, but had yet to find them. They are freeze-dried yams that are chewy and sort of serve as healthy rawhide. Both of my dogs love them, but the best part is that they have totally done a miracle on Mia's poo! It's completely normal! One of the sites that carry them is www.onlynaturalpet.com.

I know--who would have though that firm poo could make me so happy!?! :w**h**:

Denise G. said:
I know--who would have though that firm poo could make me so happy!?! :w**h**:

:lol: I totally relate. I go outside to clean up the poo and I'm so happy because it's hard, like many years ago when i used to have dogs, that's the kind they used to have--then i got Zack and he had colitis the first month i had him which was 7 months ago. then, after the colitis, his poo was still soft though not loose, and just harder to pick up than what poo was like with my dogs in the good ol' days. After about a month, i put him on just kibble and no wet food, actually it was more than a month, and once i did that the poo was more firm and larger. Cool. But it still wasn't hard and dry like the good ol' days.

Then after maybe 3 monts of that, i put him on Innova Evo and after that, his poo has gotten hard and dry. It's been a long road... So, as you can see, it doesn't take much to get me started expounding on the subject of poo. Greater or lesser difficulty in picking up and disposing of poo is something that has a real effect on me, it matters.
cl*p

Thank you for telling about the Sam's Yams, i'm eager to try that.
Congratulations on your poo victory.
:jump:
In solidarity...

Hey, talk of poo matters interests me too! :D I've had trouble with Riley and loose stools for months. Done everything with the vet and even changed food twice. Now we are feeding CA Natural Chicken and Rice kibble. Seems to be better, but still no firm, solid poo. And i agree Judy, poo texture matters a lot!! :lol:
So maybe i will try Sam's Yams. If it can't hurt him, it would at least be a great chewy treat. If it helps firm up his bowels, then Halleluyah! Thanks for the tip. Someday I hope to celebrate firm poo! icon_blshing

Thanks for sharing in my victory, Judy!! Only those of us that hate the chore of cleaning up loose poo can truly relate to such a victory! :lol:

Let me know how the Sams Yams work out for you.

oh thats great news!!! it sure is a relief when it is firm! mine both started on science diet and their poo was firm and all good...but i was looking at it and didnt like the things put into it and it was quite expensive aswell so i changed the food...and nothinG absolutely NOTHING would get their poo to be firm!! i always gradually introduced the food but no nothing worked...finally i went back to science diet thinking that maybe i was just being stupid about the ingredients put into the food and it was far better to have a healthy happy pup with firm stools so expenses would not matter...but then after reading all the bad talk about science diet on this site i changed my mind again and tried all differnt foods (well same thing happened all over again)...only in the last month did i find something that both my vet and myself agreed on and that the pups loved and gave them firm stools and that was just boiled rice mixed with mince and maybe a couple of vegetable chucked it...i vary it sometimes but it works out fine!

mince?? i thought mince was everywhere! you most definitely have it there but it is probably just a different name.. like beef mince? chicken mince?? sometimes you cook it to make spaghetti meat sauce..it looks like pink meat in very small pieces in like the shape of worms - sounds disgusting i know but when cooked its good!!, but for the dogs its raw :p ;)

i've heard of mincemeat all my life, but i had heard that it was not reallly meat but dried fruit and nuts. i just looked on wikipedia and found out that it used to often have meat and still sometimes has meat, but is definitely a fruit and nut thing.

the only thing i associate with your description is the part where you mention worms--that sounds like what around here is called "ground beef" or "ground round"--fresh beef is put through a grinder and it comes out in worm shaped pieces. It's sold in packages at the supermarket. It's basically hamburger meat before it's cooked. Is that called mince in Oz and elsewhere?

Mincemeat is fruit and stuff, normally used in Christmas mince pies, Mince is normally meat, lamb, beef or chicking - whole bits of meat feed through blender to create strings of meat - our lot have lean mince beef with carrots with their biscuits.

Judy, you got it right!

I also call it ground beef, depending upon where I buy it from, the dogs like it but I like to cook it first. Most call it mince in the U.K.

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Ah. The language curse strikes again. Whoever said that the greatest barrier between Americans and English/Commonwealth English speakers was the bond of a 'common' language had the right idea.

Originally, of course, mincemeat would have included real meat- pre fridge days, fruit, spices and sugar were all used as preservatives. Personally, I'd love to taste a real mince pie, made as above- it could be rather yummy :D

I also sympathise with the poo obsession. I've realised that cooked veggies like peas and sweetcorn should really be pureeed before Holly gets them- otherwise she spews- at both ends :yikes

Maybe I should try to type in English, my spelling of Chicken is appalling.... sorry guys. icon_whistling

Claire said:
Maybe I should try to type in English, my spelling of Chicken is appalling.... sorry guys. icon_whistling

oh--i thought that was another britishism i'd never heard before. i thought it was some kind of chicken that was specially for mincing or something like that. Good word. There should be such a word.

Does anyone know if there's anything like Sam's Yams in the UK? Would feeding raw/baked/boiled whatever sweet potato have the same effect? Holly was rather too soft today. Maybe I'm giving her too much fruit, I don't know! Because I've cut down on the amount of dry food she's getting, the fruit may be affecting her more.

I bought some Sam's Yams over the weekend for Lucky ... he loves them and ... Yippee!!!! Firm Poo!!! I have to head back to the store to get some more before everyone realizes how great they are!!!

And in addition to the poo factor ... they are a safe natural alternative to rawhide to keep him satisfied while teething. Yay!!! :D

I know--I've got to make another run to the pet store myself! My dogs LOVE these things and I feel better giving them than raw hides. Just two little pieces a day have worked magic on Mia's poo--ha! :jmp:

I'm thinking of buying a dehydrator and making the homemade version...I wonder what else you could dehydrate. How hard could it be?

I know the feeling, I remember running run after Elliots poos to check it and being so relieved it was firm and normal looking ;) , hope this continues for you

Back