PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Drooling

Claire L
18th September 2006, 11:03 PM
Rudee is 12yrs & 8 mths. This year I've noticed that she is always wet under her chin and it smells :yuk: . She had her teeth cleaned earlier in the year so I know it's not a dental problem. She is on Vetmedin (heart) and Lasics (diuretic) tabs twice daily. Is this just a sign of old age or something else? I asked the vet but he said it is normal and not to worry :roll: :roll: .
I wipe under her chin every day just to freshen her up and she loves when I dry her - she keeps rubbing her chin on the towel.
Anyone throw any light on this subject???

Cathy Moon
19th September 2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Claire,
I don't have any knowledge about drooling, so I looked it up in one of my dog care books. Could possibly be a blocked salivary gland or a dental problem according to this book. Was she drooling when the vet last did her dental check, or did it start up after?

luvzcavs
20th September 2006, 07:33 AM
One of my dogs drools a lot or remains very wet in that area but he is on cyclosporin for allergy control and it is a side effect of this drug (so I've been told).
I have trouble with my men getting infections in this area of their mouths/chins for different reasons but the way I know it is infected when it gets like that is the smell.

Is the area yellowish or green in colour ?
What is the flesh like under the hair is it normal or quite red and sore looking ?

If either of these things are present it could be an infection.

Alison_Leighfield
20th September 2006, 08:30 AM
Claire,

pop her to the vet to be sure, better to catch anything early with a lovely oldie like Rudee.

I would wipe her little chinny a 1000 times a day! just to keep her comfy :flwr: what a doll!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.