• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Excessive Drooling

Claire L

Rudee is 12yrs & 8 mths. This year I've noticed that she is always wet under her chin and it smells :yuk: . She had her teeth cleaned earlier in the year so I know it's not a dental problem. She is on Vetmedin (heart) and Lasics (diuretic) tabs twice daily. Is this just a sign of old age or something else? I asked the vet but he said it is normal and not to worry :roll: :roll: .
I wipe under her chin every day just to freshen her up and she loves when I dry her - she keeps rubbing her chin on the towel.
Anyone throw any light on this subject???

Hi Claire,
I don't have any knowledge about drooling, so I looked it up in one of my dog care books. Could possibly be a blocked salivary gland or a dental problem according to this book. Was she drooling when the vet last did her dental check, or did it start up after?

One of my dogs drools a lot or remains very wet in that area but he is on cyclosporin for allergy control and it is a side effect of this drug (so I've been told).
I have trouble with my men getting infections in this area of their mouths/chins for different reasons but the way I know it is infected when it gets like that is the smell.

Is the area yellowish or green in colour ?
What is the flesh like under the hair is it normal or quite red and sore looking ?

If either of these things are present it could be an infection.

Claire,

pop her to the vet to be sure, better to catch anything early with a lovely oldie like Rudee.

I would wipe her little chinny a 1000 times a day! just to keep her comfy :flwr: what a doll!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Back