PDA

View Full Version : Puppy feeding

Pavane
19th September 2006, 01:24 AM
What are typical amounts for feeding pups 10-12 weeks? We're doing 3 times a day, but he's not very interested in lunch. I forgot to take away the bowl and he finished it at 5--was looking for more. Maybe I should just have done a bigger breakfast and supper?

When do pups go to 2 meals a day.

Also, he really wants company while eating. I suppose that is from eating with the litter, but if I leave the area-he leaves. Actually, he likes it best if I sit on the floor next to him, but that would be training me, right? (I am SO trainable.)

Cathy Moon
19th September 2006, 02:50 AM
According to Sheila Smith in her book Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Today, feed 3 times a day until 6 months of age. Also, according to Sheila young puppies should have 4 meals per day until 4 months of age.

I'm quoting this out of a book because my cavvies are 3 years old, and I can't remember all the details of their puppyhood, except it was a lot of work :lol: :lol: I loved every minute of it, though!!

You might want to check with your pup's breeder for amounts, because this may depend on the type of food.
I do also recall sitting on the floor with my two - they're only babies once, so cherish every moment! :flwr:

Claire
19th September 2006, 11:00 AM
We did 4 times a day to 12 weeks (3 months), 3 times a day to 24 weeks (6 months), now they are on twice a day. Busta and Ozzy were never really into eating, Woody loves food..... sometimes I spent 10 or 20 minutes just trying to get them to eat it - but as long as they had some was okay.

Pavane
19th September 2006, 01:45 PM
Most helpful. You know how a new mummy is...worries she is doing things wrong. We had a great night. Played until 11 AM and he slept till 7 AM with a brief whimper-fest during a wild lightning and thunder rainy downpour. I dreaded taking him out--decided to try newspapers and a wee-wee pad on the covered deck floor--but just patted him first and he settled right down. He was just scared of the noise. Whew. My assistant's Jack Russell has a full blown fit during storms and needs medication! So he did great.

We missed 3 potty signals yesterday--entirely our fault--but we are all learning.