PDA

View Full Version : Does your Cavalier wear a collar all the time?

Sharon
19th September 2006, 03:11 AM
Our pup is now 16 weeks old and has been used to being let outside on his own to do his business. We have full view of the garden, which is fully fenced, so he is quite safe. However, he only seems to want to go a few steps and do it on the patio, almost right as you step out the back door.

Today, I have decided to put his collar and lead on him and take him outside to encourage him to do it on the grass in a certain part of the garden. Although he hasn't been on the lead very much, he seems to be adapting well.

However, we once owned a beautiful Siberian Husky, and after leaving a collar on her for a while, we found that it rubbed her fur away around the neck area. It is much quicker for me to keep the collar on Wrigley and just attach the lead when he needs to go outside, but I don't want the same thing happening to his beautiful coat.

Do any of you keep a collar on your Cav at all times? In one respect, I know that it is a good thing if you have an identity tag on it, but as well as it rubbing his fur away, I am also worried that he might get caught on something.

Remali
19th September 2006, 04:10 AM
Hi Sharon! I know what you mean, I also agree it is good for identity tags, just in case (altho my dogs are always on a leash and with me at all times). But, to answer your question... no, I don't keep collars on. Mainly because I worry that they could get hung up/caught on something somehow (same reason why I don't keep a halter on my horse), and also the comfort thing....I wouldn't want the collar to rub them.

WoodHaven
19th September 2006, 04:12 AM
When we leave the house, we have our tags. At home--- no. Sandy

Cathy T
19th September 2006, 04:16 AM
Nope, no collars in the house. My backyard is very secure so I don't have to worry about them getting out.

Kingofthehouse86
19th September 2006, 04:17 AM
I keep King's collar on @ all times..but when he was a pup in his crate I took the collar off him... but now he wears it all the time...but its all a person's opinion on wat to do

LauraD
19th September 2006, 04:18 AM
Sure, i keep a collar on Riley all the time. His fur does not seem to be rubbing off and he isn't bothered by it. It makes me feel better that he has his ID tags on at all times, because in the event of an emergency and my neighbors or the fire dept. have to get into my house and Riley gets out somehow, all his information is there. It's just peace of mind for me (even though he is microchipped).

Cathy Moon
19th September 2006, 04:34 AM
When we leave the house, we have our tags. At home--- no. Sandy

Ditto for me. Mine are microchipped.

I know of someone whose Shi Tzu was strangled - that was enough to convince me to leave the collars off. :cry*ing:

Kingofthehouse86
19th September 2006, 04:50 AM
Oh poor baby :cry*ing:

rory
19th September 2006, 07:23 AM
The rolled leather collars are supposed to be good for not wearring off the fur. Rory can't tolerate a collar due to his syringomyelia so he never wears one. But I leave his puppia harness w/ tags on whenever we go out.

Alison_Leighfield
19th September 2006, 08:10 AM
When walking or outside the home then they have I.D. tags on their collars and leads, when in the home/garden they havn't. Make sure you have plenty of locks and bolts on the garden gates.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Nisha
19th September 2006, 09:20 AM
well i always believed that it was a good idea to keep a collar with an ID tag on (even though my two are microchipped) inside and out...but one of my pups - milo - always manages to chew my other ones - monty - collar off either when he's sleeping or something :roll: ..gone through 3 collars for him now. so now i just only use a collar for monty when i take him for walks, milo's stays on the whole time...collars never seemed uncomfortable for my two dogs of the dog i had in the past and didnt rub of the fur...its an individual decision but i think just to be on the safe side to always have the collar/id tag on unless it is making them uncomfortable etc

Claire
19th September 2006, 11:17 AM
My lot always have their collars on, they have soft webbing with padded parts.

joanna
19th September 2006, 01:11 PM
Ours rarely wear collars and never in the house. They have tags attached to their puppias and our garden is completely closed in.

Joanna

merlinsmum
19th September 2006, 02:35 PM
Merlin wears his all the time - it has his tag on so in the unlikely event - someone can contact me.

It comes off at bedtime though, you've gotta have your pj's on (i.e collar off) to go to bed! ;)

Linda
19th September 2006, 03:42 PM
My two wear collars all the time except bedtime and bathtime.
They don't seem bothered by it, in the beginning Darby was annoyed by it and did not want it on but he is used to it now. :D :D :D :D :D

Ste
19th September 2006, 04:26 PM
Ours dogs and cats all wear collars with tags 24/7.

Lisa_T
19th September 2006, 04:56 PM
Holly wears hers all the time except when she's getting bathed. I've never noticed any problems. It's soft nylon anyway. In fact, she seems happy to get it back on after a bath!

Sharon
19th September 2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your replies. Wrigley has started scratching around his neck, so I think I will leave it off until we go outside. I wasn't sure if I was being irresponsible not having a collar on him at all times, but he cannot get out of our back garden, and I feel happier him romping around out there without a collar on, just in case he got tangled up in something.

Sharon

duncans_ma
19th September 2006, 05:45 PM
Collars are on excpet at night and in the water (boating or bathing). At night, it was more for our need to sleep. The jingling of tags can be quite frustrating at 3 am

Sunna
19th September 2006, 07:42 PM
Fjalar & Molder never have their collars on when they are inside, just when we go out for a walk. When Fjalar was younger he always had his collar on but now I just let them be without them.

pippa
19th September 2006, 09:23 PM
Gus has a collar going out and pippin has a harness

They don't wear them at home .the garden is very secure and they are never out unless on leads.

Maxxs_Mummy
19th September 2006, 10:05 PM
Well my two wear collars with ID tags on at all times (except when being bathed). They are also identichipped and my garden is extremely secure - it's a bit like Fort Knox.

However, Maxx can be a bit of an escape artist when someone comes to the front door and I like something to grab hold of just to let him know that I am on his case :lol:

It also came in very handy one day when I was out. I had left hubby in the house and a workman in the garage. The workman left the front of the garage open and then went in the kitchen and left the door to the garage open!

Maxx took himself off for a walk and a lady who was housesitting at the bottom of our close saw him, phoned hubby and he was soon home again. If he hadn't had his collar on then it could have been a lot longer before he was home. Of course I was furious when I found out :yikes

I think hubby was in two minds whether to tell me that my precious bundle had escaped but thought better of it in case I met the housesitter :lol:

vanessa0305
20th September 2006, 11:55 AM
Bailey has his collar on at all times bar bath time. I just can't risk him getting out as he is a digger. And we let him out on the property without his lead all the time, and just incase he runs off.......