• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much does your baby REALLY cost??

cecily

Interesting article today in the Daily Mail. Don't have it to hand because I was only reading it in Starbucks! It was about a lady and her 8 year old Blenheim cavalier called George. She gave a very amusing account of what George has put her through during the years (eating fish-hooks, getting things stuck in his ears, kicking her boyfriend out of bed, etc etc etc :sl*p: ). She eventually sat down and tried to work out how much he'd cost her and the insurance company over the year. It came to €18,000, not including food. :yikes :yikes :yikes And that was only the receipts she could find!!!

The upshot though was that he brought happiness and joy into her life when she really needed to, and as she finished off "you can't put a price on devotion"

I can quite believe it too and I agree with her - there really is no price for the love, devotion and happiness that these litle fur people bring into our lives.

I know I would sell my soul for my furbabies icon_devil :lol:

I admit I had severe sticker shock when I first got my puppy. When people ask me how much I paid they're usually astounded. And my response to that is, "He was worth a lot more!"

When people ask how much the dogs cost, I usually answer: less than my kids; more than my cat. And worth every penny.

We had a very bad year expense wise with the 4 legged ones in the house this past year or so. Two abdominal surgeries, 3 spays/neuters, 3 dentals, tail removal (cat) and various and sundry other more normal type medical care things. Hopefully, this year will be better.

Now if we didn't live in NJ with the country's highest real estate and income and sales taxes, we would really be in good shape!

I can't even begin to tell you how much my pups have cost me over the past 4 years betweem patella surgery, cancer surgery and everything else. If anyone asks what they cost me originally my response is they've paid me back 10 times over by now with their love and affection.

18K pounds, not hard to believe.

The purchase price of Zack was "only" $900--I had been prepared to pay at least $2000 but it worked out differently. At first they said they wanted $1250 for him, and i was fine with that. Then when i went back to see him again, they changed it to $900 because they said his markings weren't correct, his dalmation-like spots meant that his white would not be pure white. His markings were/are one of my favorite things about him, so that was all good.

On the way home at the pet store I spent around $300. I still have the receipt. That was almost 8 months ago and I've saved all my receipts from the pet stores, so i can add them up later and see what i'm spending. I can just look at my bank statements though. But i buy usually from a pet store that will let you return stuff forever for any reason so i save receipts. I think easily i could have spent $2000 at pet stores in the past 8 months.

Then, there are monthly health insurance premiums of $50+ a month. There were $1100 in vet bills before the health insurance kicked in, plus $400 for neutering, various insurance copayments coming to a few hundred, and various assorted fees and things, microchipping, registering with AKC, AKCKARS, Home Again, stuff i can't remember right now, i'm sure. So for 8 months, i think it's easily been $5000. I'm thinking i will slow down next year, and the health insurance will cover things that might come up, but i think it will still be close to that range.

It's been great! :D

:lol: Wow, you're braver than me! I don't want to know how much I've spent between vets and all the other stuff! :shock: And I certainly don't want my hubster to know either! :lol:

Judy, you are scaring me. My Tobias is now 8 months old, tho I've only had him for one month. He already had all of his shots. The only things I know he needs is to be neutered and a some baby teeth pulled. I think that should cost only about 200 total.

His food is only about 30-40 a month, plus his chicken, maybe another 10 per month.

I love him madly, but if he got terminally ill, I would not spend thousands to keep him alive in a compromised condition.

Got to go, Julio Inglasis is singing on Dancing with the Stars.

How much have they cost??? :sl*p:

I have lost count!.... proberbly £1000's ...but would do it all again without a second thought....you can't put a price on what they bring into your lives...

Good job the hubby is so understanding :)

Alison, Wilts, U.K,

I just got a new camera a couple of weeks ago because when i pushed the button down to make a photo with the camera i already had, it took a long time before it would take the shot, and i was losing all the good shots of zack because of how long it took to shoot, and also it didn't have very good photo quality anyway. So i got a new one that goes off quick when you push the button.

When it comes to pets it's not about the money .....

It IS VERY INTERESTING and SCARY though to know how much you do spend on them !!! and yes they are worth it .....

Well look at it this way - we'd NEVER have kids, if we were actually worried about how much our dogs cost us !!!!!!

Now there's a scary thought !!! :badgrin:

They are worth every penny you spend on them. I've lost count of how much I have spent since April 2005 on Merlin ( and now the baby ruby).

TBH I don't care either - I have so much fun with Merlin and I enjoy spending my money on him - I'm sure I keep Pets at Home in business!! :lol:

Oh My ! I dont even want to know !!!! :sl*p: but like the author of the article said ........they are so worth it ;)

I was talking to our Finance Guy yesterday and was telling him the price of the MRI scan - he could not believe it and said children would be easier.... I said when youf kids hit 17 they are going to want a car, and also want all the named designer stuff thoughout life!!!! No answer to that... icon_whistling

goldcountryrose said:
Judy, you are scaring me. My Tobias is now 8 months old, tho I've only had him for one month. He already had all of his shots. The only things I know he needs is to be neutered and a some baby teeth pulled. I think that should cost only about 200 total.

His food is only about 30-40 a month, plus his chicken, maybe another 10 per month.

I love him madly, but if he got terminally ill, I would not spend thousands to keep him alive in a compromised condition.

Got to go, Julio Inglasis is singing on Dancing with the Stars.

Wow, 40-50 dollars a month for food (for 1 dog??)-- I buy in bulk and spend 160 USD- but that is for most of the suppliments too (for 10 dogs).
IF you think about it, we are ALL terminal-- To me it would depend on the quality of life afterward.

Duncan has not been too pricy as of yet - if only I didn't buy him a new toy everytime I walk into the pet store.

I think that the Vet where we live must be cheaper than in other parts of the country. Full annual with EKG, stool check, and a myriad of other tests plus 3 months of frontline $180

Wow - that is very good value for money !!!!!!

You certainly wouldn't get something equivalent in Ireland, I'll tell you that much ......

add in a $700 MRI, monthly meds for COSM and a $1400 root canal... and you've got unconditional love!! :lol: :lol:

Back