PDA

View Full Version : Two Cavalier rescues at our house

Bruce H
21st September 2006, 02:52 AM
I would like to introduce two temporary additions to our clan, Sergio (boy) and Honey (girl). Sergio is the one laying down and Honey is the one sitting behind Sergio.

http://static.flickr.com/80/248640360_a94a70ed3f.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/83/248640356_26386f10e0.jpg

They came to us today after some time at the vet for spay & neuter, shots, worming, etc., etc. They came from a mill :x up north of here and are still understandably shy. I'm quite sure they will come around. Initially we thought that Honey might be pregnant, but thankfully she was not.

If anyone is interested in either (or both!) of these guys, go to CKCSC.org and fill out an application. Kris is the rescue coordinator for Minnesota and will be looking at applications. I'll keep you informed of their progress.

Cathy Moon
21st September 2006, 04:19 AM
They are lovely, so kind of you and Kris to take them in. I'm sure they will have forever homes in a very short time! Are you wanting to adopt them out together?

I wish I could, but we've got our hands full!

Alison_Leighfield
21st September 2006, 08:35 AM
Bruce,

they wil come around believe me! my two puppy farm rescues Annie and Honey transformed into lovely outgoing, happy girls within a few months...

it just takes time, patience and warmth from the heart, they soon pick up they they are secure and wanted....it happens day by day...

Thank you both for taking them, :flwr: lets hope they get wonderful homes to help mend the emotional wounds that they are sure to have.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Bruce H
21st September 2006, 01:06 PM
They are lovely, so kind of you and Kris to take them in. I'm sure they will have forever homes in a very short time! Are you wanting to adopt them out together?

I wish I could, but we've got our hands full!

Thanks for the kind words.

We aren't necessarily looking to adopt them out together. They are beautiful dogs and will need a lot of love and attention. I'm quite sure they will come around. I honestly wish we could keep them to avoid our home as yet another temporary stop, but it's just not possible.

Claire
21st September 2006, 02:26 PM
Bruce and Kris - I am sure you were dog angels in another life, so glad that you are providing a loving and happy home for these two.

matties mum
21st September 2006, 11:17 PM
Good luck little ones Aileen

arasara
22nd September 2006, 02:49 AM
Bruce,

How wonderful of you two to be so kind and generous in offering your home to these beautiful babies. If I were near MN I would take at least one of them. :) Kosmo desperately needs a friend. :(

I have faith that you and Kris will find someone to look after them and give them a wonderful forever home. :)

Take care! :flwr:

goldcountryrose
22nd September 2006, 08:09 AM
Lemme see, airfare from MN to Ca a gazillion dollars

2X dog food and expenses pricy

having another Cav, especially one who is homeless Priceless.

Bruce H
22nd September 2006, 07:27 PM
Well this weekend we are going to try introducing our dogs, one at a time, to Honey and Sergio.

So far we have kept H and S in their crates in our living room while the other dogs are out, then crate the other dogs while H and S are out. Our clan sniffs them through the crate and have shown no signs of aggression. We also had them on our laps last nite while three of the others were in the house and everyone was just fine; except ours wanted to be in our lap too. This weekend they will be down on the floor to see how they and our dogs react.

We'll start this with our more mellow dogs. Wish us luck!

Cathy Moon
23rd September 2006, 02:02 AM
:xfngr: :paw: fingers and paws are crossed! We're hoping for luv and peace between all the cavvies! :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
23rd September 2006, 12:45 PM
Bruce and Kris,

I'm sure it will be fine :flwr: Thank you both for taking these babies in and giving them a temporary home. Alison is right, they will come round, they just need plenty of TLC and understanding.

My puppy farm foster, Holly was so timid that she hid behind the sofa for a week when she first came here. After that it was baby steps in her own time. By the time she went to her forever home she was a completely different dog. So confident and loving. It is just as rewarding an experience for you as it is for them you know.

Really good luck, thinking of you both :flwr:

Bruce H
24th September 2006, 04:45 PM
Just an update. We had both Honey and Sergio out with our dogs and they did GREAT :jump: No problems at all! We have girls in season, so we couldn't let them out with Sergio, because he may still have a little "manliness" left in him. But both did great with everyone else.

Honey is already really coming out of her shell. She comes when we call her and has become our shadow; follows us everywhere. Sergio is a little bit behind her, but MUCH better than when we got him less than a week ago. He hesitantly comes when we call him.

There is now no question in my mind they will do just great. I'll try to get some more pictures in the next couple days.

merlinsmum
24th September 2006, 10:45 PM
Well done Bruce and Kris - you should be so proud that you have instilled the confidence in the two little ones that they now trust you and have fallen in love with you....

Thank you for giving them a chance....

goldcountryrose
25th September 2006, 05:28 AM
Bruce and Kris, do you know the ages of Sergio and Honey?

Is it folly to even consider that a person in California could adopt one of the dogs? If it is not, do you have any idea what the costs might be. I have a lot of room, and a lot of love, but not a lot of financial resources.

Karlin
25th September 2006, 07:00 AM
These would be good questions to direct privately to Kris at the contact Bruce provided or discuss via PM to Bruce and Kris. :thmbsup:

goldcountryrose
26th September 2006, 08:32 AM
TY, Karlin.