• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help

sallymum

Can anyone help. Sally who is 16 weeks is doing great, the only prob i really have with her is that when she gets excited she pees all over the place. This happens when she gets picked up :yikes when she runs into the sitting room, which is not a treat she is always brought in there in the evenings.When the kids comes home from school, and anything else that excites her.
Will she grow out of this as she is still a baby.

Oh bless her! :lol:

perhaps a wee stop in the garden before any excitement begins might help? and after her walk before she returns into the house, and after her dinners etc? any excuse to let her relieve herself outdoors with plenty of praise here will help her along abit I think!

it's not painful for her at any time is it having a wee?

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

No dont think so but i do find with her she tends to go a lot and not just small drops at time puddles.

sallymum said:
No dont think so but i do find with her she tends to go a lot and not just small drops at time puddles.
It sounds alot like Sophie when she was younger.

Sophie belongs to my friend Heather and she was able to get Sophie trained out of it using the tips and methods like those in the article I linked to. It's not a huge problem in the overall scheme of things but it is annoying. Sophie was just a bit nervous and very submissive but now that she's a real pro at her commands and knows exactly how to make us all happy she doesn't submissive urinate anymore. It's all about getting to the point where your furbaby knows her commands and can please you. Practice her commands every day and praise the heck out of her when she does them correctly. Also teach her a new one like "paw" and I'm sure she will be even happier!

My Chester is such a pro at his basic commands that if he even gets a whiff of a treat he plunks himself down into a full "down" and will even proffer his little paw while he's in "down" position. He's such a good boy!

Does anyone watch Good Dog U on the Animal Planet? They just had a story on submissive urination. Their advice is to, of course, first get a medical check to make sure it is indeed a behavior issue not a physicla problem. Then....when you come in the door or someone comes in...do not immediately approach the dog. Give her a bit to calm down before greeting her. Wish I could remember what else they said.....I used to have this problem with my Lhasa and just learned to greet her in the foyer so we could wipe it up :roll:

Cathy said exactly what I was going to say.

This excitement induced urination can be reduced significantly by just ignoring the pup until she/he calms down.

We do ignore but Sally just jumps on us anyway. The worst about it is that who ever happens to be sitting on the couch when she runs into the sitting room gets a lovely wetting. :yikes

I remember reading to give them time before you give them any attention too. Also, I think another way was to repeatedly come in and out of the house until she gets bored with it and stops tee-teeing. Then have other people in your family do the same and eventually someone new do the same. If I recall correctly, the book said this takes some time and effort but it sure sounds like it would be worth it. :p

Oh goodness!!! :yikes

We had this problem with our oldest, Gibson, when she was a pup. Every time we came home, she tinkled all over the floor. We would try to get her out the door and she would tinkle as she walked. We tried the calm down method and it didn't help much. It's hard to calm a young pup who is excited to see you.

Eventually ( I think around 1 year old), she just quit doing it. I don't think she has had an accident since then!

Hopefully it is just a small phase that she will grow out of quickly! But I know how you feel!

Back