• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worried about giveing steroid tablets

molly+charlies mum

hi my two cavaliers have just got back from the vets they both had there anal glands cleaned out,one has got a ear infection and they both have itchy skins my vet has given piriton for my 19month blenheim boy and he put my 3year old tri girl on prednidale (steroids5mgtablets) i am a bit worried about giveing them to her she has had one and i would like to know if anyone has had to use them and how was there cavalier i would hate for my cavalier to get ill :?

Hi Christine,

Steroids are a fist line of treatment for many conditions. My two have had them several times with no problems. You'll probably find that they want to eat more and will also pee more whilst on them. Your vet has given them for a reason so please don't stop giving them - you could do more harm than good.

A short course of steroids should cause no long term problems (never heard of it if it does), it's when they have to take them over a period of years that problems start to occur.

Hope your babies get better soon.

For the itchy skin try Quistel shampoo and conditioner www.actigeneruk.co.uk it's excellent for soothing problem skin.

to donna

:D thank you for your reply i feel a bit better now i worry about there health ,i will give them to her i just want it to help with her itching it drives her mad(and me) i will look into the shampoo ,your cavaliers look lovely take care :p

molly+charlie

:D hi mollys ears are much better already ,the tablets seem fine with her i was told she might eat more that will be good as she is a poor eater she is still itching but not as bad thanks for your message :flwr:

Steroids really help with pain and inflammation and can bring a lot of relief. The only issue with them is using them for long term, constant use. They are very often used for the short term because they are so effective.

hi karlin

:D i love your picture of your cavaliers and cats ive got 3 cats and they snuggle up with the dogs on the sofa i then have the harder chair as i dont want to move them the are all spoilt even the kids complain about them being treated better ,take care :p

Back