View Full Version : Little Milly needs spine X-rays/MRI

amanda L
26th September 2006, 02:06 PM
My little Milly has been yelping a lot lately without any obvious cause. I brought her to the vet, who said she was very tender around her spine and wants to do X-rays and bloods first and then maybe an MRI. I am really upset about this, and at the back of my mind I am worried about SM. She's 6 months and only still a baby, the vet will need to sedate her for the X-rays. She's booked in for next Monday, but I am just so worried. She also had a little seizure last week (with pee), which was very distressing for her and for us. Please say a prayer for my little girl for next week, she is a bundle of love and joy and is so precious, and I can't bear to think there might be anything seriously wrong with her.

26th September 2006, 02:46 PM
Poor Milly - I hope everything works out for her :flwr:


Cathy T
26th September 2006, 03:14 PM
Oh no Amanda. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's especially scary when something is going on with such a young one. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer that everything turns out okay.

matties mum
26th September 2006, 03:29 PM
Oh dear so sad to hear this please keep us informed I will keep you in my thoughts Aileen

26th September 2006, 03:41 PM
So sorry you are going through this worry. She looks so beautiful in her picture. Give her a kiss from me and keep us up to date. :hug:

26th September 2006, 04:05 PM
Gosh I hope everything is okay. I have prayer group tonight and I promise to put you first on my list. We'll be sending lots of prayers from SC. I'm sure this is scary for you - good luck!!! :flwr:

Cathy Moon
26th September 2006, 05:04 PM
Amanda, we're sending positive thoughts to you and Milly. Since your vet is going to do bloodwork, this is very important:

As many as 50% of all Cavaliers have large platelets which are often miscounted as white blood cells - please read these articles and print copies for your vets:


One of my cavaliers has this condition, which requires no treatment. When my vet does a blood count, she manually counts the platelets.

As long as the platelets are large, it does not matter if the count is low, in fact it can be life threatening to the cavalier to be treated for this condition.

We have another member who had a close call with her vet wanting to treat her cavalier with this condition. :flwr:

26th September 2006, 05:31 PM
oh amanda, this is really scary. i hope it turns out to be not too bad. Sorry you have to wait so long for the tests, and so sorry millie is hurting. there are so many different causes of these things. I hope you'll get clear answers soon and can help her with whatever she needs. :d*g:

26th September 2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Amanda; I'm so sorry to hear Milly is uncomfortable. I can't remember who your vet is; PM me if you want -- and be sure the vet has all the SM printouts from my SM site just as background. She could have many different things so let's hope it is something minor and easily treatable.

I'll be back in Dublin on Thursday and feel free to contact me then to talk. I'm sure she'll do fine on the x-rays and that will help you to either pinpoint or eliminate some of the things that could be going on.

26th September 2006, 07:57 PM
Just to let you know I am thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed for little milly :(

26th September 2006, 08:33 PM
Also be sure to talk to her breeder about your concerns and let him/her know she is in being checked. This is important for them to know for their breeding programme and a good breeder will provide support to you as well. :thmbsup:

26th September 2006, 08:34 PM
Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this Amanda - you and Milly are in our thoughts and prayers.

please let us know as soon as you have any news.

27th September 2006, 06:48 AM
Crossing everything here for you and Milly, pray to god thats it's not SM.

My little Pippa was scanned at six months and found with severe SM then, she was scanned again at eight months...progression was very fast.....for her there was nothing we could do.

I saw your post last night and it stayed on my mind till the early hours.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ANYONE looking to take a Cavalier puppy find a breeder who is scanning the breeding stock or at the very least using a scanned dog/stud. Lists of scanned Cavaliers are available on the main U.K Cavalier Club website with contact numbers for more information.

Amanda and Milly my thoughts are with you. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

27th September 2006, 10:49 AM
Good thoughts are coming over from me and my boys for you and little Milly - I know that it is really really scarey, but be brave for her... it is best to know what is actually wrong and start treatment now rather than later..... :xfngr: fingers crossed she is okay.

amanda L
27th September 2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks so much to all of you for your positive thoughts and kind words, it means a lot :flwr: . I will let you all know how it all goes for Milly next week. She is on rest in the house till then, no walks, and its so hard for her. Karlin, I've PM'd you.

Claire L
27th September 2006, 07:18 PM
Sending you lots of :lotsaluv: and :hug: hope little Milly is ok...
Keep the faith Amanda, I know how worrying it is but PG everything will be alright.

27th September 2006, 09:07 PM
Good luck Amanda. I can relate to how difficult this is but believe me you'll feel much better knowing they're doing everything they can for Milly. It sounds like you've been furnished with all the knowledge you need from users on this site and Milly has the best possible chance. I'm sure it'll work out for her. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

27th September 2006, 09:13 PM
{{{{{{{{Amanda and Milly}}}}}}}} I'll be thinking of you both and sending lots of positive thoughts to you both.

Really hope the angels are smiling down on you and that it's not SM. Think positive :flwr:

28th September 2006, 12:35 AM
Amanda you and Milly are in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you all the best news next week.

28th September 2006, 01:44 AM
We said a little prayer here for your little Milly, and are sending out positive thoughts your way too. Will be thinking of you, keep us posted on how she is doing and how it goes.

I hadn't heard about the large platelets, so I was glad that you posted that on here Cathy.

4th October 2006, 09:36 PM
Any news about Milly? :hug:

5th October 2006, 12:40 AM
Best wishes from our clan!

5th October 2006, 05:28 AM
Sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted. Hope this is something that is very treatable.

amanda L
5th October 2006, 09:42 AM
Hi all, We saw the vet and her bloods are all normal, she has had no more seizures since, and the vet thinks there may be a problem with her hips and that they are causing her pain. She is going in to be spayed next week and to have her lower back and hips x-rayed. We are greatly relieved about her bloods being ok. Hopefully the x-rays will show up any problems and she can then be treated.
Thank you all again for all of your positive thoughts and prayers for my little Milly :flwr: Our little doglets are just so precious to us all :flwr:

5th October 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi Amanda,

good to hear from you.. :flwr:

Just a valid point to make here...an X ray will not show SM, you will need an MRI for this...is your vet aware of this also? If she is showing pain in the lower back/hip area and has yelped in the past I would most certainly push for an MRI ASAP.

You don't just want your vet to "think" what is causing her pain...you need to know for sure.

SM does not show in the bloods either, or any other lab tests.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

amanda L
5th October 2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Alison,
Thanks for you point about SM, it is really important :flwr:
I am still concerned about the SM issue and will be taking her to UCD for an MRI. We see the same vet who treats Karlins' Leo, so she is aware of SM in cavaliers. We are hoping to get this done asap.

5th October 2006, 11:39 AM
Good luck Amanda.....hugs coming over.

5th October 2006, 06:49 PM
Hi Amanda,

Sending you hugs also. I also agree with Alison here, Alison and I went together to have Maxx and Annie-Belle (her little angel at the bridge) scanned and she saw Maxx's scan where his syrix was right down by his tail. If I'd only had a parti MRI done on him it would have shown nothing.

Luckily, my Vet suggested an MRI after Maxx's X-Rays showed up nothing. PLEASE get an MRI done just to be sure :flwr: xxxxx

amanda L
5th October 2006, 09:25 PM
Amanda l wrote:

I am still concerned about the SM issue and will be taking her to UCD for an MRI
:thmbsup: :thmbsup: