• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dew claws!

angie

the breeder (well i say breeder, she did only have the one litter as far as i know though her sister had been breeding for a while) anyway, they didnt take off jadans dew claws when he was born and the vet told me at his first check up that i may as well leave them until he was neatured as it would be more of an op than if they had been done at birth. he is due this next wek. does anyone else still have there dew claws? they get caught i was told and it is best they are removed. but does anyone else still have theres or willjadan have to go through neuteing as well as this as tehy will be done at the same time as he will already be under. :? :(

Duncan still has his while Arthur doesn't. We haven't had any problem with Duncan's and personally I think he can hold on to toys a little better when he is try to get a good chew. :lol:

I've always heard that if dogs had opposable thumbs they would rule the world. Dunc's dew claws seem close and he definitely runs the house! icon_nwunsure

It may be only a personal opinion but I wouldn't put little jaden through it unless there is a reason it will be a problem.

Kosmo still has his dews as well and they haven't been a problem this far. It's kind of a pain to clip them .. OK a HUGE pain to clip them, but he does fine with them and they haven't caused any kind of problems. The vet didn't even mention it when we went to took him to be neutered either. I would think that if it were a problem she would have at least addressed it.. ;) good luck!

Barney still has his and so has Jazzie and Jazzie is 10 plus my self unless there is a problem I would leave then alone :) Aileen

UK and Irish breeders do not tend to remove them. They rarely get in their way and personally I think it is cruel to cut them off especially as a lot of time this is done with no anaesthetic at all. For some breeds like working hunting dogs who will be iin the brush perhaps it makes more sense as they very rarely do get caught and can rip and need to be removed; but at the same time Pyrenees for example are supposed to keep them, front and back, as part of the breed description and these are often dogs that are worked as herding dogs or are often outdoorsy dogs... so I don't see why they are required on one breed and considered a problem in others.

I'd leave them. All mine have theirs.

Lucky no longer has his dew claws.

I didn't have them removed but they were gone when I got him. I read that they are often removed because they were thought to be a hazard to the prominent eyes. I suppose the idea is that they might inadvertently hurt themselves when scratching (?) icon_nwunsure

Anyway, the choice was already made for me, but that the reason I remembered for why they are removed. When I did a search of "dew claws" and "cavaliers" on Google the search results showed the same reason.

Dudley had his removed when he was just a few days old, Darby on the other hand still has his.

I don't find them a problem at all, just remember to cut them when trimming the nails.

Molly has one dew claw. Apparently missed by the breeders vet. :sl*p: My vet told me it was better just to leave it alone because if she removed it, it would probably just provide an irritant that Molly might not leave alone.

My parent's cavalier still has his dew claws and seems to be doing fine. In fact he's pretty sure they help him crawl onto the open door of the dishwasher to do any necessary "pre rinsing." ;)

My Bentley still has his dew claws too. I just make sure that I watch them and keep them trimmed so that they don't get too long. They haven't been any trouble.

Pippin has 4 dew claws .Gus has 2. The breeder told me when I got pippin at 9 weeks that I could bring him back to have the 2 back ones removed or ask my vet to remove them.

I brought my two to the vet the first week I got them to check them over and he advised me to leave pipins dew claws alone unless they caused a problem for him.They never do ,I just have to trim them quite often.

We had dewclaws removed on our male Saint when we had him neutered...and I will NEVER do that again. I would rather not have the dewclaws, but if the breeder doesn't do it, it's not getting done on ours.

KC

I think most UK and Irish vets are very reluctant to remove dew claws and some will not as a matter of principle.

All my guys have them, don't think it is done in the UK, the vet never mentioned anything.

My vet said that if the breeder doesn't have them removed when the puppy is only a few days old, the dew claws should be left alone, unless there is an injury.

My 3 cavs all have front dew claws. I used to dread trimming them, but now its as easy as any other nail. :flwr:

Merlin has his and they cause no problem. I just nip the ends off every 3 weeks or so, with a pair of humal nail clippers. The other nails are kept short by the 10-15 road walk every day Merlin gets on the way to/from the lodge or the resevoir....

Back