• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SHARK TEETH?

Brenda

Hi everyone,

I'm a little stunned & confused. Last night, while brushing Charlie's teeth, I discovered that he has what is called "Shark teeth"- TWO ROWS of top front teeth! :yikes I'm in sort of a panick, (but luckily we're seeing the Vet tonight).
My co-worker just told me that she read one row should definitely be removed. :( Has anyone ever heard of this on a Cavalier?

Does anyone think I should call the breeder and inform her, or send the breeder her the Vet bill and demand she pay it?

This is so strange!!
:(

It's probably his baby teeth that haven't fallen out yet, very common. The vet will probably recommend pulling them if they are still there at the time of his nueter.

If he's under 6-9 months the adult teeth sometimes come in while the baby teeth are there. Vets like to pull them but they do tend to all come out over time and unless really necessary I wouldn;t want to put him under for this alone. Try giving him some rawhide chews and other chews -- they help loosen the old teeth. If he is older and they are all there they will probably want to take out the baby teeth, perhaps at the time of his neuter.

Charlie is almost 6 months and he has been teething, so he's constantly chewing on his chew toys.
The strange thing is that both rows of teeth are the same size, they are not "adult-looking" :huh: pretty scarey, they look like Piranha fish teeth!
From the quick online research I just did, I found that this happens in small breeds. I also found two different reasons: 1) their mouths are too small and so the teeth spread out, and 2) the baby teeth haven't fallen out yet and the adult teeth grow in (like you all mentioned).
They must've just grown out because the Vet didn't mention anything about this when we were there a few weeks ago. Luckily we'll see him today (for a vaccine & to schedule his neutering surgery) and we'll see what he says about this. I'll report back.
Thanks again!

We call Shelby "shark mouth" because her teeth are small and pointy. They are her adult teeth but they are so tiny. She also gobbles like a shark!! :shock:

Sounds as if he has his puppy teeth yet. Hopefully they will fall out on their own, sometimes the vet needs to surgically remove them though.

Bentley's were very firmly planted for quite a while and then one day they loosened right up and fell out on their own.....and I was about to make an appointment with my vet.

King had that, not a whole row of teeth, just one tooth....it my vet said if it didn't fall out by 7 months of age then pulling it was the only way to go...But luckly the tooth fell out 2 days after seeing the vet :lol:

Well, we saw the Vet last Friday, and it turns out that they are his baby teeth that never fell out on their own. :roll: He also said that it is genetic w/ small breeds.

Anyhow, he will have them taken out during his neuter & hernia surgery (poor little guy :( ).

For those who are curious as to what two rows of teeth look like, here's a photo we somehow managed to take:

260775782_1f05f976c8_m.jpg

Thanks for posting that picture Brenda. I never had this issue with either of mine and was always curious about what it looked like.

We've only had the pointy canine teeth remain.
About the picture-- aren't the first teeth a bit smaller than the ones behind?

Hi Sandy,

Yes, the teeth in the front row are smaller than the back row, and I'm not sure if that's because those are the small baby teeth, or because they are the adult teeth barely growing out? The Vet didn't say & we didn't ask either :oops:

This is so strange-looking, isn't it? You should've seen my reaction when I just saw them! :yikes :huh: I'm new to dogs, and this definitely surprised me as I'd never even imagined such a thing. LOL! (Of course, not that it makes one difference to us, as he's still our sweet, cute, little baby. :d*g: :l*v: )

I've seen this with dogs and with people. You may find that some of the baby teeth fall out before the doc pulls them. (I would say that the front row of littlier teeth are the baby teeth being pushed forward by the larger adult teeth growing in behind.)

Do any of the lil teeth wiggle-- this is how we removed the baby teeth on a couple of our cavaliers.

You could always tie a string to the tooth and a doorknob too... 8) I used to be terrified that I would have to have teeth removed this way.

I only ever found ONE of Jaspar's baby teeth when they came out. I gave it to a friend's young son who thought it was really cool. :grnyuk:

only ever found ONE of Jaspar's baby teeth when they came out

yea i often wondered where my two dogs baby teeth went? i neva eva found one...i didnt know if they ate them or something like that..weird.. :?

I never saw any of Jake or Shelby's baby teeth. I know where they went :D And I'm sure I picked them up with little plastic bags.

Cathy T said:
I know where they went And I'm sure I picked them up with little plastic bags.
:lol: :lol: ohhhh!! now i realise!!! it always was a mystery to me :shock: :lol:

Back