PDA

View Full Version : SAFE/In foster: little female in Kilkenny city area**

Karlin
7th October 2006, 10:48 PM
I have had a call from a rescue who found a small ruby female dashing through traffic in the Tipp/Kilkenny area. She is underweight, in heat, very scared and exhausted. No microchip. No one in that area has reported a missing cavalier. Rescue guesses she is around 3-4.

Is there anyone in that region who could get her and hold her for a couple of days or longer term foster? This is very urgent as the people who rescued her rescued her near an encampment and there are also concerns that people will try to get her back despite her obvious state of severe neglect and the indication that no one cares much for her or has in a long time.

She will need to be held in a very secure house with a very secure garden as she is small and could fit through a hole in or under a fence. She is very anxious and trying to escape as is so a calm and quiet environment where she can be safely held in a room or two and watched in a garden, and allowed to find her feet, is important. Because she is in heat she cannot be taken out on walks. Alternatively if someone can hold her even for two days or so, I could get her Tuesday or Wednesday and then would be seeking a foster near Dublin. I just am unable myself to get her in the next two days.

She would likely benefit from being around other cavaliers (neutered obviously for males) in the home. I am told she looks like she has been harrassed by male dogs because of her state. It took the people a long, long time to catch her.

I am very grateful for those who have initially rescued this poor thing. :flwr:

Mary
7th October 2006, 11:47 PM
Awwh poor little girl. That just breaks my heart. Wish I were close by to help.

Cathy T
8th October 2006, 12:58 AM
Poor girl. Hope she gets sorted out quickly.

arasara
8th October 2006, 01:17 AM
sending positive thoughts for the little ruby girl your way... :hug: Hope everything gets sorted out quickly!! Wish I were closer to you or you were closer to me. ;( Maybe someday you can fly me a rescue, lol, what do you think?

goldcountryrose
8th October 2006, 05:26 AM
You can send her to me, in California, USA. I want a ruby so badly.

Wish I was closer, I'd take her in a heartbeat. A real forever home. But, Alas, the pond stands beween us.

amanda L
8th October 2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Karlin,
If you need a foster in Dublin next week for this little ruby girl, I can take her. :flwr: Talk to you later in park.

merlinsmum
8th October 2006, 09:50 AM
Poor little girl, it just sickens me that people can be so cruel....

molly+charlies mum
8th October 2006, 11:37 AM
:( this is so sad that cavalier must be so unhappy i pray someone can give her a loveing home i would if i was near there please let us know what happens :lotsaluv:

Karlin
8th October 2006, 02:03 PM
:updte: People have come looking for her; that isn't good news as they are the ones who have her in this state. Will be travelling halfway to collect her to get her to a safe location with Brid for tonight. Thanks all who spoke to me about this girl!

amanda L
8th October 2006, 03:47 PM
Karlin-have PM'd you my number if problems next week..

Cathy Moon
8th October 2006, 04:52 PM
OMG poor little *ng*l Kisses and hugs from me and the tribe. It's times like this I really do wish I was nearer to you. There's always room for one more :lotsaluv:

I wonder if she was originally stolen from someone :( Especially if she was found near an encampment :yikes
Donna, what is an encampment? Is this homeless people or gypsies?

Cathy T
8th October 2006, 05:47 PM
I was wondering the same thing Cathy. Thanks for clarifying. Interesting.

Karlin
8th October 2006, 09:53 PM
Lots of travellers (Irish and UK gypsies) are great with dogs and horses and have long traditions of working them and travelling with them. Some are very abusive and tend to give the whole group a bad name, as often happens with easily identifiable groups. I don't think travellers mistreat animals any more than people in nice settled neighbourhgoods from the reports rescue people get, but it is easier to see with travellers as they camp by the side of the road and are very visible. Whereas a lot of settled people abuse to animals happens behind closed doors and in gardens out oif sight. Lots of rescue folks here would know some great travellers who are very helpful with reporting abuse and getting animals out of bad spots out in the coutnryside in particular, where they see things others might miss. :)

The context in which this girl was fund *suggested* she might have been in a bad situation with some travellers or could be taken in and disappear if they were moving on. But this was wrong. Turns out this girl was not with the travellers at all, but she was not in a good situation.

She is lovely, very sweet, not overly thin at all, but very swollen and in heat. Not overly scared either; I think that was just because she was being captured and was in the midst of traffic. She is a bit shy but very friendly and easy-going. Another hour and I have no doubt she would have been dead on the road, or sold on to puppy farmers.

Brid has her and might post some pics if she takes any (she always does!! :lol:

I am thankful to all those who offered help on the board and by PM.

Mary
8th October 2006, 10:09 PM
So glad she is safe with a warm bed and gentle hands upon her this eve.

Remali
8th October 2006, 10:19 PM
Oh I am so relieved to hear she is safe and in such good hands! If the people who had her kept her in that condition, I hope that they don't ever get her back!

brid kenny
8th October 2006, 10:40 PM
All well here. She's (Sweety) sleeping her head off for the last few hours. Phoebe is oblivious to it all!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/bridkenny/PA080031.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/bridkenny/PA080030.jpg

Cathy Moon
8th October 2006, 10:46 PM
Bless you Brid for opening your home to her. Hope she's sleeping her troubles away. :slp:

Mary
8th October 2006, 11:39 PM
Brid thanks for posting pics. What a beauty this little girl is! You are a gem for taking her in!!

Karlin
8th October 2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks Brid for the pics -- she looks exhausted, poor little girl! I like how she is just barely acknowledging you with an eye barely opened in one pic. :lol:

Regarding travellers -- I do think the travellers get a very hard time for people who are the exception and not the rule. Lots of house dwellers keep dogs alone in gardens, chained or confined to runs for hours. Around here, the vast majority of cruelty cases, on a per capita basis, come from house or farm dwellers. All the mass breeding cases are with people in homes or farms, not travellers, so even in numbers alone, cruelty practised against, say, cavaliers is marginal amongst travellers yet a tiny number of theft cases in the UK had all the lists buzzing with indignation against travellers -- from many of the people who couldn't be bothered to even write a letter to a politician about puppy farming where there are thousands of cavaliers held in small cages, perfectly legally in many cases. :(

Cats in particular are often treated like vermin (indeed that is their status under Irish law still; you can bring in an exterminator for cats which you could never do for dogs). Yet every one of my four cats has as rich and complex a personality as my dogs (and are far more polite! :lol:).

As always (and I know we can think of many other current examples and historical examples no matter where we live) the worst cases are the ones that get publicity and if you are a member of an easily identifiable group, the actions of the few are frequently transferred to the group. I just don't like to make generalisations about a group. :thmbsup:

Cathy T
9th October 2006, 01:05 AM
What a sweetie. So glad you all went through all of this today to rescue her. She looks exhausted but content.

Jay
9th October 2006, 04:17 AM
She is absolutely beautiful! It is great that she is safe. Hopefully she is not pregnant. I truly hope she finds a wonderful home with someone who will spoil her rotten!
J.

Forest
9th October 2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks Brid for looking after this little girl. You rescue people are so special.!!!! *ng*l :lotsaluv:
Julie and the girls

joanna
9th October 2006, 11:06 AM
Well done guys for saving this girl. She is absolutely gorgeous - she reminds me so much of Daisy Boo. I think you'll find it hard to let her go Brid ;)

Ste
9th October 2006, 08:11 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/bridkenny/PA080030.jpg

She's lovely :luv:

It's torture looking at those pics :lol:

Karlin
9th October 2006, 08:18 PM
I'd like the discussion on travellers to end, thanks. I am very disappointed in some of the posts that have been made. They are also slanderous as well as offensive to me personally, and incidentally, I could be liable to prosecution as could those who posted. Please reread the section in Getting Started on liability on public sites like boards before you post if you are going to make a critical post about either an individual, an organisation, or a group. PM me if you are unsure. This is not a private room for expressing opinions but a public location and legally, a place of PUBLICATION as soon as you hit the post button. You are as liable for your printed opinions as I would be for what I say in the national newspapers and magazines I write for. That means the exact same international interpretations of libel and defamation apply to your personal posts. Those interpretations in the UK and Ireland are particularly inflexible and under the law in both countries, I and you could have been prosecuted for those statements on a public board. But that is secondary to the main point that I find such opinion personally offensive. And as I noted previously, I am sure we can all think of examples in past and present history where groups of people identified with the acts of the few have had to suffer being lumped into offensive generalisations that fail to recognise that every fact and statistic points to such acts being *of the few* and not of the group as a whole.

I will NOT allow generalisations to be made about anyone or any group EXCEPT puppy farmers and backyard breeders (unnamed , of course!).

I'd also like to point out to that it was people *in a house* who left this dog in this state. I have never yet had a single cavalier come into rescue from travellers but I have had plenty from settled people. I am sorry for any implications taken from my initial post but the intention was to indicate this is a heavily trafficked area with a lot of other dogs about, including large hunting-type dogs, and potentially, a place where someone might take in such a dog where it could be moved on before it could come into rescue.

I am now going to delete all previous posts in this thread on this topic because this is very definitely not the type of opinion nor the tone I'd ever want on CavalierTalk -- and I don't expect to see such posts here, ever again. Those who want to carry on such discussions can do so privately on their own but not in a public forum and most certainly, not in one that I run.

Especially not on a thread about such a lovely little dog! :) Closing this thread.