PDA

View Full Version : X-Pen Question

Kdemars
9th October 2006, 03:13 PM
I am going to buy an x-pen and I wanted to know what height to get ... I don't want to spend a lot of money on one only to have her jump it and have to get another! :roll: Thanks in advance

WoodHaven
9th October 2006, 04:47 PM
Pen height is very dependent on the individual dog. I've seen dogs clear a three foot x-pen-- One of mine would never jump out of a two ft x-pen (he isn't a big jumper). Some cavaliers climb, some jump (I swear some of mine are half cat).

Kdemars
9th October 2006, 05:08 PM
That is funny that you mention half cat. There are so many things that Ella does that remind me of a cat. Her favorite toys are the cat toys and a RIBBON she found in the laundry room. If a ribbon doesn't scream cat I don't know what does. She also climbs like a cat, with her claws. When she plays with my sister's cat, she modifies she growl so that it comes out sounding like a purr. She swats at things with her paws more than biting them, like a cat does.

The day she uses the litter box, I'm calling the breeder and thanking the lord - haha!!! :c*t:

Cathy T
9th October 2006, 06:24 PM
Funny you should mention x-pens. I just ordered another one to take on vacation with us. We take all of them (now 3) when we go on vacation so we can separate off an area for the dogs to go potty off leash. I ordered mine from petedge.com and got the 30 inch one.

Mic
9th October 2006, 07:12 PM
I have two 24" x-pens. I keep one at home and the other stays in the houseboat or camper. Abby, my 15.5#, 14 month ruby, can jump right over it. Cappy, my 13#, 6.5 month b&t, hasn't figured it out yet, but is taking notes. Abby got her foot caught the last time she jumped and I think she's afraid to try again. I wish I'd gotten the taller pen.

~Mic

Cathy T
9th October 2006, 11:52 PM
At 30 inches neither of mine attempts to get over. But I've never had that problem. One of my fosters though leaped right over it.

MishathePooh
10th October 2006, 01:45 AM
Misha can climb over *anything* (our pen is 36") so we got him an ex-pen topper (http://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/single_product_display.cfm?id=11780) which makes the ex-pen into a giant cage. He then managed to shove it up and run underneath it... Some people's dogs!

In good news, my parents puppy Merlin has taken quite well to the ex-pen but we leave the top on just in case. The top does limit the ex-pen to being a square shape.

Cathy Moon
12th October 2006, 01:02 PM
We have the 30" xpens.
India jumped the 24" about 2 weeks after we bought it. :?

Kdemars
12th October 2006, 11:06 PM
30" it is - thanks everyone!!!
:thnx:

Lisa_T
12th October 2006, 11:35 PM
Bear in mind your flooring too, and how it sets up- I got a folding one that's a fantastic size and ok height. Can't use it at the moment because I have linoleum on the kitchen floor and the lack of friction means Chloe can jump on the fold- and if she persisted, she'd eventually bring the whole lot down on herself. I'm very glad the breeders have loaned me a good size crate! She's safer and I feel happier.

merlinsmum
13th October 2006, 01:26 PM
Lisa,

I put mine on some rubber matting and leaned one of the panels against the wall, this seems to make it more stable. (Although to be honest we only use it at night time so if Oakley needs a potty break he just comes out of the crate and goes on the paper) - If i try to put him in during the day Oakley just screaches because he is very similar to when Merlin was a puppy in that way.

If I can see you I want to be able to get to you - I'll whine and shout
If I can't see you but I know you're in the house - I'll whine and shout
If I can't see you because you're out - I'll be a good boy and be quiet!

I suppose you can't win them all

I know he'll grow out of it, Merlin did (sorry for going a bit off topic)there! ;)

Lisa_T
13th October 2006, 09:26 PM
I tried- we did all sorts of complicated things to the bottom of the crate to increase the grip on the floor. It actually worked too. Obviously not proof against a determined puppy, though! I'm still adjusting to the fact that Chloe is spunkier than Holly was. Holly would never have dreamed of trying to push against the pen- or not after it moved once! And she never messed up the pee pads either. Chloe thinks of them as a fabulous ripping toy, so it's just as well she's been so good with going out! What kind of rubber matting is it? Can you buy it?