PDA

View Full Version : Cavalier *Only* Training Who is interested?

TKC
11th October 2006, 01:26 PM
How would a half day course suit everyone for training on a Saturday? Say from 2-6?

We would cover all your basic exercises, introduction to agility and clicker training.

Ideas?

Post here if you are interested so we can get an idea of numbers and work out the cost per doglet.

yvonne
11th October 2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Tara. Count me in. Holly's nearly 1 with no training as yet.
Yvonne

Ste
11th October 2006, 08:24 PM
A half days training would be great, the OH can take Gavin off for the day while Cody attends :lol:

Maxxs_Mummy
12th October 2006, 10:28 PM
Wish I was in Ireland I'd come along - Charlie could do with some training and there doesn't seem to be any classes near me now :(

TKC
13th October 2006, 01:05 PM
ok just waiting for others to reply to check out the numbers. We need a minimum number to run the course. We have other cavaliers on our mailing list so we will message them PLUS its a good way to introduce cavaliertalk.com

So it's 2 for now.

Tara

joanna
13th October 2006, 03:39 PM
Hi Tara,
Kelvin and I will come along with Daisy Boo and Twinkle so that makes it 4.

Joanna

amanda L
13th October 2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Tara,
Just saw this, can you count my pair in aswell :flwr:

Karlin
13th October 2006, 06:58 PM
Tara, Lisa (www.dogtrainingireland.ie) and I just had lunch -- oops I mean a business meeting -- and we are now thinking of doing a cavalier only training class the Sunday two weeks away, the 29th. Or maybe the Sunday after. I think the 29th is the bank holiday weekend -- would that affect anyone's ability to attend? We'd do an afternoon session. The focus is on getting to know cavaliers, intro to training techniques, fun things you can train your dog to do, intro to agility. We will touch on a range of things and if there's good interest in a cavalier only clicker class, for example, or cavalier only basic obedience, we could plan for that too!

I'll be putting together a folder of info for all participants.

We will also have Puppia and other dog items for sale -- leads, foods, flower essences (eg fear essence, calming essence), toys like rope toys, kongs and treat balls (eg productive activity toys!), healthy training treats, etc. We might do an intro to using kongs.

And I am hoping to have a photographer there to do cavalier portraits for anyone who wants them!

If anyone wants to come from the UK we can help sort a hotel! :)

TKC
13th October 2006, 07:40 PM
The NEW puppia harnesses :)

Now that will get you talking!

Karlin
14th October 2006, 01:41 AM
I saw them; the pruple is adorable and they come with little attachable pouches! :lol:

I think Lily needs the purple one...

Mimi
14th October 2006, 01:45 AM
I'd love to bring my two from Kilkenny , They havne really done a long journey in the car since we collected them in longford . do you think it would be too stressful for them to spend 2 hours in a car and then be expected to participate in a class. Where are the classes held? .
Mimi

TKC
14th October 2006, 09:36 PM
We are beside Dublin Airport. As long as you make them comfortable in the car and they are used to travelling I am sure they would be fine. We have good facilities and our centre is heated and indoors so even if they want a snooze when they arrive thats possible although I bet when they see all the other mirror images of themselves they will be bright and alert!

Keep replying if you are interested so that we can get numbers sorted.

EDIT: Sorry I just read that they are NOT used to travelling. Give them a trial run with a shorter journey first. Make sure they are secure in car, preferably in a crate and see how you go.

cecily
15th October 2006, 11:54 AM
Count me and Billy in, with Tandie.

Am already working out how much is reasonable to spend on puppias etc. so I'll have a budget :lol:

brid kenny
15th October 2006, 11:58 PM
Can I come too if the date suits?

Karlin
16th October 2006, 01:04 AM
Of course, we need a minimum number to run with this so get your name down if interested. :)

Murph
16th October 2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

Count myself and Penny in please :D. We cant attend on the bank holiday weekend but if it is the following weekend we will be there.

Murph.

yvonne
16th October 2006, 11:20 AM
Myself and Holly can attend either date.
Yvonne

joanna
16th October 2006, 03:23 PM
We can attend either date too so that's another two.
Joanna

amanda L
16th October 2006, 04:12 PM
Either date is fine with us aswell :p

TKC
16th October 2006, 04:27 PM
So that's around 15 already :yikes As soon as we have it posted on our website I will post the link to book your place.

This will go ahead on the 29th because we don't have another date free before Christmas :(

You will be glad to hear that our heating was installed last week so we will all be snug inside :)

We are so looking forward to meeting you all. I can see the photos now! It will be great to see them all having fun.

deborah
17th October 2006, 09:45 PM
Please add Cailum, to the list, we'd love to attend

Barbara Nixon
18th October 2006, 12:46 AM
What a shame you're over the water, as I can't be away from Izzy too long. Joly would love a training session, as we used to do competition obedience, until our trainer moved away; a pity as he reckons Joly has potential. Izzyis a good worker, too, but I daren't risk the stress on him nowadays-He gets very excited , because he loves it.

TKC
18th October 2006, 03:46 PM
http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/seminars_workshops.php

We have reserved the places so if this books out we will do another one. We tried to make it as cost effective as possible.

Here are the details:

Cavalier King Charles Workshop

Afternoon Workshop 11am-3pm

Sunday 29th October, 2006

DTI Canine Training Centre, St Margaret's, Co Dublin

By request from www.CavalierTalk.com this afternoon workshop has been specifically designed for Cavalier King Charles dogs. If you have one of these wonderful dogs then this workshop should not be missed. The whole family are welcome to attend and children will be encouraged to participate.

The course content will be as follows:
Introduction
Teaching your CKC Self Control around the food bowl and at the front door
Introduction to clicker training
Teach a Trick
Loose Lead Walking
Cavalier Medical issues
Introduction to Agility

Other information:
Parking is provided on site.
Places are limited.

Cost:
€80 per dog.

Murph
18th October 2006, 05:40 PM
Oh im so disappointed we are going to miss this training... :( Myself and my husband are going away for the weekend and we wont make it. :drivecar:

Enjoy yourselves and we will definately be there if you do this again.

Murph.

TKC
18th October 2006, 05:52 PM
We will do it again so enjoy your weekend away. We will meet Murph again :)

Murph
18th October 2006, 06:10 PM
Hi Tara, We will be there the next time you do it. I might even sign her up for your next beginners training class anyway. Ill talk to my husband tonight to see if he agrees. I think she would enjoy it. :D

deborah
18th October 2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Tara, we are a definate, do I pay on the day or prior?.

TKC
19th October 2006, 03:20 PM
It is available for booking online now.

We have a limited number of places so once they are all gone it will close. So you can book now or take a chance and wait.

We have also invited other Cavalier King Charles owner to this workshop and hope to introduce them to cavaliertalk.com too

Ste
19th October 2006, 08:44 PM
I've booked Cody in :)

Next you'll have to organise a terrier class :yikes

TKC
20th October 2006, 01:07 PM
Yep I can see all who have booked in :) Looking forward to meeting you all.

Booking online is still open but will close when full. Don't worry if you miss it we can run another one in the new year.

Hope to get some great shots, have roped in the hubby who is quite a good photographer.

The NEW Puppia's arrived - so cute in denim and lovely shades with their little pouch on the side plus leads to match.

We will also have these amazing new beds. We get some stock to test out soon and if we are happy with the quality we will have them for sale. Come in red, orange, green, black, brown, pink, beige, camo.

http://www.fatboy.ie/pics/doggielounge/dog3.jpg

Very excited about meeting you all.

TKC
28th October 2006, 09:09 PM
Hi All,

We are looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

Kick off is at 11am.

We have lots of Puppia's in and for tomorrow only regular Puppia's will be €20 for any size (usually €22, €24 and €26) and the new pouch Puppia's will be €24 for any size.

We have a photographer attending and Caroline's homemade doggie cookies will have samples for everyone to take home.

You will have 3 trainers to help so plenty of one to one attention.

merlinsmum
29th October 2006, 09:09 PM
How did the training go?

Hope to see some pics soon!

Karlin
29th October 2006, 09:25 PM
Really fun -- at least I thought so!! Everyone got clickers, dog cookies, lots of introductory lessons and the dogs got to try the agility equipment too. I got several gorgeous pics done of my gang -- each separately, then the boys together, and *amazingly* ALL THREE! Hilarie the photographer loves dogs and managed to get really nice images for those who wanted pics -- she was showing them all to me at the end of class after people left and each dog really looks stunning, all taken against a black background. I can't wait to get mine; I even ordered a copy of the group pic for my mom... :lol:

I also discovered the dogs are MAD for cooked heart as a training treat -- Leo was nearly going out of his mind for it. Jaspar learned to sit and wait for his food bowl to touch the ground before he tried to eat and to twirl on his hind legs. Leo learned 'relax' (which I hadn't got him to understand thoroughly before), worked on 'leave it' even when it was a piece of heart on the ground :roll: . Lily just ran around like a madwoman at the very end -- now that she has lost all that weight she runs and runs and runs nonstop. When I got her she would run maybe once after a ball and that was it. :) I have lots of things now to teach the others -- I want all waiting for their food bowls more politely, for example!

BTW for those who enjoyed agility, there's a beginner's class starting this coming week plus new beginnersregular obedience classes. Agility for beginners starts on Thursday.

Info: http://dogtrainingireland.ie/training_classes.php

Ste
29th October 2006, 10:36 PM
Poor Cody is exhausted after her day out and Gavin is seriously peeved that she won't play with him :lol: I can't wait to get her photos, i've pretty much given up on trying to photograph her myself!

Karlin
29th October 2006, 10:41 PM
Her pictures were gorgeous! She definitely was ready for her close-up glamour shots... 8)

brid kenny
29th October 2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah today was great fun. Love my new puppia. Phoebe has been asleep all day since.....It's just RELAX RELAX RELAX. What a great learner!!!

Karlin
30th October 2006, 02:33 AM
That's the Big Secret about dogs -- a two hour walk will not tire them out, but a half hour of training (much less a half day!) will totally wear them out! :)

TKC
30th October 2006, 05:36 PM
Thank You to everyone who attended.

It was a pleasure to work with you and your dogs. We have the photos and will post them very soon.

I noticed a few budding agility stars ;)

merlinsmum
30th October 2006, 06:32 PM
Sound like you guys had a great time! Perhaps when there is enough of us Uk ers we could organise something here/over your way!

princess's mom
3rd November 2006, 01:50 PM
Im so sorry my dog was too young for this :(

I dont suppose there are any plans for another one???

LauraD
3rd November 2006, 04:40 PM
:cry*ing: I'm SO jealous!!! (By the way Karlin, there's no icon for jealous!) Can i move to Ireland so i can join your class??? Or you could all move here next to me?? icon_whistling
It sounds like a wonderful class, i really wish we had something like it here. You are all awesome for having it!

Karlin
4th November 2006, 04:52 PM
We will probably do another in the new year if there's enough interest.

I got my portraits today from Hilari and they are wonderful! I will post some later.

Ste
4th November 2006, 07:22 PM
Our portraits were waiting on the doorstep when we got back from Waterford today and, i have to say, my Cody is only gorgeous 8)

Karlin if you're talking to Hilari, please tell her that we're well chuffed with the pics :flwr:

Karlin
4th November 2006, 08:03 PM
I just scanned and posted mine into the gallery.

I will mention it to her or her partner next time I see her! Cody's pics were really lovely, as were Phoebe's too! :)

Lisa_T
5th November 2006, 01:01 AM
If there's one in the new year, I'd love to go- but I don't drive and two dogs on public transport is Not Fun. Trust me. If anyone is going to be going from a more northern area and could offer us a lift, could you let me know? That's assuming it's even sensible to try taking multiple dogs. Karlin, how did you find the mechanics of that with your three?

Karlin
5th November 2006, 01:25 AM
I swapped them in and out of the class, so each got time to do something at some point. Impossible to train more than one at a time. I put them in crates in the car!