• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

TDI for Children

Cathy Moon

I'm so excited! The company I work for is asking for volunteers to go into the local schools once a week from 3:15 to 4:30 pm to help out with an after school reading program.

This is the TDI opportunity I've been waiting for! I've gotten permission from the person in charge at my company to call school and ask if they are interested in my therapy dogs, India and Chocolate, for their reading program. Then I have to run it by my boss, who is letting another employee do volunteer Junior Achievement work in the schools (so how can he say no to me!). If this works out, everything I've worked for with my girl cavvies will be fulfilled! :D

Cathy, that is awesome. I'm eager to hear about how this goes. This is a goal of mine too, something i have a lot to learn about. Are Chocolate and India certified therap dogs? I'm trying to find out what the process is, what has to be accomplished in order to get there. Will you be using both dogs together, or switch off?

Judy,
On the AKC website, you can find the Canine Good Citizen test, then on the Therapy Dog International site, I am fairly certain the test can be found. All you need to do is regular obedience training, and your pup needs to have the right temperament to pass the TDI part of the test. In fact, Chocolate passed the test without having had any formal obedience training with me. However, Chocolate was a show dog with her former owner, so she was already very well-behaved when she came to us.

When your dog is tested, he will get his AKC-CGC and a TDI registration! :)

Ooops! Yes, they are both certified/registered therapy dogs!

A while back my wife looked into a program where children with reading difficulties would read to a dog. Can't remember for sure, but it was called something like "Reading to Dogs". They claimed the children learned much faster because they see the dog as non-judgemental and are more relaxed. Maybe someone else here knows something about this and can help my poor, old memory. Or maybe this is exactly the program you are refering to; I thought it sounded really cool.

Cathy, you and the pups are going to love doing this! You will get so much out of this heart warming endeavor. I do this with a reading tutor (in her home) who works with children with reading disorders. It is amazing to see the confidence develop in the children as they read to the dog week by week. The dog reacts so positively to the attention and the child enjoys a totally non-judgemental audience for their reading skills! It is soooo rewarding and the dog loves it!

Cathy, that sounds fantastic; will look forward to hearing about your experiences as it all comes together! :jmp2:

I've heard about that programme too, Bruce; it sounds great.

That sounds great Cathy. Jake and Shelby (me too!) are beginning a training class Nov 22nd in order to get both of them CGC certified. Then we'll go on to more training.

Oh isn't that lovely? I love the idea of the kids reading to dogs, my own kids used to do it when they were small :D

I used to take my youngest in with me when he was a baby and the kids who were too shy to read to me, used to read to him instead - didn't matter that he'd sleep through it :lol:

http://www.therapyanimals.org/read/index.php

This is a new program that is becoming very popular.

This is the website for the Reading to Dogs program. There is another site called Reading to Rover that really explains how the program evolved. I am going to a Public school that is for Autistic and Emotionally disturbed children on Wednesday for the first time, and I may do the reading program with a child. It depends how things go. I am only going to bring one dog this time. My two are certified to work as a team and individually by TDI. If they work as a team they will also test them together as well as individually.

Congratulations to all the pups that are participating in a therapy program. We are getting so much out of it. The cavaliers help people young and old so much. It is a great felling to give back with our dogs.

BS

Mine are only allowed to work separately, so I have to take one or the other. I'm thinking of getting them tested as a team in the future. Is it difficult to work with a team?

They are great as a team if I do a demonstration in a group recreation room. The residents get a kick out of the way they do everything together. I show them how they sit, down, stay, come, etc. They see how obedient they are and then they want to pet , and hold them. THey also look very cute together.

This is where it gets tricky. Most of the time they are fine, but every once and a while the cavalier who is not being held, asks to be held. Then I have to change their positions and switch. I find that when I have many residents who want to hold the dogs, alternating the two is less stressful. I have only taken the two to nursing homes and assisted living homes. I plan to take only one at a time to the school for autistic children. I was advised to only take one to the school because it might be too much for the kids to see two at the same time. I will let you know how it turns out.

Cathy I'm so pleased for you. As someone who is dyslexic, I would have loved to practice my reading this way. When I was a kid, not that long ago :roll: we had to stand beside the teacher at the front of the class and read quietly to her while the class got on with their work. I'd read as quiet as possible as I didnt want anyone to hear me struggling :(

When I get my dog, I'd like to train him really well and try taking him into hospitals as a comfort to patients, I forget the name of the program.

Does any one know how I get started?

Back