PDA

View Full Version : Rudee at the Vets.

Claire L
17th October 2006, 12:43 PM
Rudee had trouble walking last week .She seemed to be losing the power in her back right leg. When I took her to the beach she walked along for a little while and then stopped and sat down. At first we thought that maybe she was being clever - you know - if she sat down then she could wait for us to pick her up again on the way back, unless of one of us has treats and then she would definitely walk along no problem. But this time was different; she just looked too uncomfortable so I picked her up and carried her and she didn't complain ( very unusual for Rudee)

Yesterday morning it was clear that there was something not right and she was in pain. We went to the Vet and he gave her a Pethadine(not sure about the spelling) and an anti-inflamatory injection. She could not stand up and when she tried to walk she fell over. He said it could be the discs in her back but we'd have to wait 24 hours to see if the meds changed anything.
We took her home and I spent the day sitting by her side just trying to make her comfortable and reassure her by my touch. Needless to say I spent the whole day sobbing for my baby.
By early afternoon she was still showing signs of pain and I called the vet. At this point I was praying to God to take my little girl because there is no way on earth that I would allow her to suffer any pain . We went back to the Vet and he gave her Two more injections and said we should wait and see how she got through the night.

She seemed to settle better last night and I managed to get her to pee at 5 am this morning and then she slept until 8.30am . She also did a poo this morning but it caused her a bit of discomfort. We went back to the Vet this morning and he X-rayed her and she has Spondylosis. This is a chronic condition but having said that , she appears to be much better today. She is too old to put her through surgery and right now the Vet has given me Norocarp 20mg tabs to give her over the next few days. The problem with anti -inflams is that they can cause vomiting and other tummy troubles but we'll just have to wait and see.

My little girl is going through a tough time at the moment and my heart is breaking for her.I love her so much and I can't bear the thought that she might be in pain and I wouldn't know it. So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers and I'll let you know how we go...
Thanks

molly+charlies mum
17th October 2006, 01:14 PM
poor rudee i send lots of love her way and hope she will be ok :lotsaluv: xxxxx

Mary
17th October 2006, 01:39 PM
Oh Claire. I hope Rudee is feeling better soon. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. There are meds for the nausea/vomiting with the antiinflam meds. My basset had a GI bleed with the steroid injection for her back within hours. The vet gave her carafate orally and injections of Cimetidine that I could give at home. Hoping for better days for Rudee.

merlinsmum
17th October 2006, 01:44 PM
Poor Rudee Poohs, hope she feels better soon.

Big :hug: to Rudee and you from me and the boys

Karlin
17th October 2006, 01:48 PM
Hugs for Rudee; we'll all be hoping the new meds help her so that she can continue to bring you so much pleasure. :flwr:

Lindsay
17th October 2006, 02:36 PM
:( You and Rudee are in my thoughts! :flwr:

joanna
17th October 2006, 03:10 PM
Hope Rudee feels better soon :hug:

Joanna

LauraD
17th October 2006, 03:23 PM
Hope Rudee will be feeling much better soon. Poor little girl. You are both in our thoughts. :flwr:

brid kenny
17th October 2006, 04:04 PM
Poor little pet.

arasara
17th October 2006, 04:18 PM
Aww Claire,

Bless you for having so much understanding with Rudee. You seem to look at the situation with such concern and thought with your little girl. I will be praying for her and hoping for the best for this. :flwr:

WE LOVE YOU RUDEE POOHS! You gotta get better for your mommy and also so we can hear all of your lovely stories. ;)

Cathy Moon
17th October 2006, 05:18 PM
We're sending hugs to you and Rudee! Hope she feels better soon! :flwr:

judy
17th October 2006, 05:33 PM
i hope she keeps doing better. watching her suffer is awful, a helpless feeling. :( my stepdad had it and he was helped a lot by medication, and really enjoyed life in spite of it. (spondylosis)

Alison_Leighfield
17th October 2006, 07:22 PM
Oh Claire, :flwr:

not your precious little Rudee,

sending all my love and prayers that she turns the corner and bounces right back...

We all love her, such a very special girl. xxx :lotsaluv:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

BrodieSkyward
17th October 2006, 07:30 PM
Poor little sweet Rudee! Oh how hard it must be to watch her in pain. I know she takes comfort in knowing how much you love and care for her. I hope and pray that the meds work and she is feeling better very soon. Hugs and kisses for that cute little girl :flwr:

Mimi
17th October 2006, 07:57 PM
Heidi and Nifa join with everyone else here sending Rudee their love . Rally round little girl and continue to bring your Mummy lots of joy.
Mimi

pippa
17th October 2006, 08:04 PM
Hope Rudee is feling better soon. Thinking of you both :flwr:

Nicki
17th October 2006, 09:25 PM
Oh Claire special hugs and love for you and Rudee...so many positive thoughts coming from here, Rudee you've just stolen all our hearts xxx

Hope she will be more comfortable soon....

Norma's Arne also has Spondolyosis...they are managing his and he's getting about ok at the moment.

Coco's mom
17th October 2006, 09:33 PM
Claire, I'm so sorry Rudee is ill. :(
I wish I could take away her pain.
I hope she is better real soon.
Thinking about you both..
:flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
17th October 2006, 09:48 PM
Oh {{{{{{{{Claire}}}}}}}} I am so sorry that Rudee is a poorly pup. I am sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks thinking of you both. We all love Rudee so much on here, she's such a lovely old lady, bless her.

Hope she soon recovers and is wagging her lovely tail at you again.

:flwr: Get well soon {{{{{{{{Rudee}}}}}}}} :flwr: We all :lotsaluv: love you :lotsaluv: xxxxx

Cathy T
17th October 2006, 10:55 PM
Claire - so sorry Rudee is feeling poorly. Please let us know how she's doing.

Alison_Leighfield
18th October 2006, 07:23 AM
Claire,

how is she this morning? we hope a little better for you. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Claire L
18th October 2006, 11:00 AM
She had a bad night last night. I had to give her half a norocarp tablet at about 8.30pm and she settled down after a while and seemed to be resting easy. We went to bed at about eleven and by one am she was mooching around so I took her outside for a pee and she had a drink. We went back to bed but she kept mooching around from place to place so I took her back downstairs and gave her the other half of the Norocarp. I phoned the emergency Vet but he was less than useless. Anyway I managed to get her snuggled up against my leg with her head resting on my lap and she eventually fell asleep.
I can't bear to think of her in any pain but the Vet just said that I can up the dose to two tabs per day just for the next few days.
I'm going to give the tabs at six hourly intervals-a half tab every six hours so maybe she will start to get some relief.
She did eat her quarter of a liga biscuit for me this morning and I let her share my toast so you never know,she might just turn the corner and surprise us.
Keep your fingers crossed for us yeah!!

pippa
18th October 2006, 11:32 AM
Fingers and toes are crossed for you and Rudee :flwr:

Nicki
18th October 2006, 11:33 AM
Oh I'm sorry that's exhausting for both of you :(

I know if Rupert has a bad night now it takes him a few days to recover, so she may be extra sleepy.

I really hope the pain killers will help her...

Do you have any vets that do acupuncture there? I know that helped Arne.

Alison_Leighfield
18th October 2006, 11:45 AM
EVERYTHING here crossed for her, all paws and toes, keep us updated please :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Maxxs_Mummy
18th October 2006, 11:58 AM
Thinking of you and our little Rudee, Claire. Hoping she pulls through and is much better. I know when mine are on Norocarp it makes them sleepy so that's probably a side effect of it. The boys send her sloppy licky kisses and I send love n hugs to you both :hug: :lotsaluv: xxxxxxxxxxxx

arasara
18th October 2006, 12:37 PM
Hope Rudee is feeling better Claire! :flwr: Sorry she had a bad night. ;( She's probably just extra sleepy. Our fingers, toes, and even eyes are crossed here.. hoping for you guys to have a speedy recovery!! Take care! :) :flwr:

Karlin
18th October 2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, hugs to you and Rudee. :hug: It is so hard to have a dog feel unsettled and feel you are not able to do more. I hope she feels much better today and that you do too. :flwr:

Linda
19th October 2006, 03:20 AM
I am so sorry, just catching up with some of the threads.

Poor sweet Rudee, she is such a darling.
I am sure it must be awful to see her in so much pain, I pray that she takes a turn and things improve for her and for yourself. :l*v:

Try and get some rest yourself too. :slp:

Luv

Linda & The Boys

Claire L
19th October 2006, 12:47 PM
My Rudeepoohs went to sleep with her head resting in my hand this morning. She is free of pain forever now but my heart is breaking.

LOVE YOU RUDEE XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Karlin
19th October 2006, 01:09 PM
Ohhh, Claire, my heart is breaking for you. I feel so lucky to have met your wonderful Rudee -- I was just telling some friends this past week after our last walk what a sweet, sweet cavalier she is. I am so sorry. I think she let you know her time was right and you made the most difficult, but most gentle decision you could. :hug:

Linda
19th October 2006, 01:16 PM
*ng*l
Dear Sweet Claire

I am so so sorry, I cannot begin to imagine the heartache and pain you are feeling. Please have a little peace knowing that you were with that sweet precious girl whom we all loved dearly.

She is free of her pain, although your heart is breaking for her.

I hope and pray that you have some family and friends around you to be with you physically. We are all here for you although not physically but mentally.

We will all be shedding tears for a beautiful girl whom was released from her suffering. Treasure all those wonderful memories you have of her, and hold them close to your heart sweetie.

She is amongst so many of our members cavaliers whom have crossed the bridge, they will help her crossing easier. I hope we will be able to help you Claire.

God Bless Her she is at peace. *ng*l

Love
Linda, Dudley & Darby :hug:

merlinsmum
19th October 2006, 01:35 PM
Oh Claire,

My heart goes out to you.... poor Rudeepoohs, she was such a galant girl

Big :hug: s to you from me and the boys.

Mary
19th October 2006, 02:00 PM
Oh Claire. The tears won't stop for dear Rudee. Felt like I knew her thru her photos. Such a kind wise gentle face. A beautiful girl. She touched many a life with those wonderful pics and great face. Thanks so much for sharing her and bringing warm smiles with with Rudee stories/pics. You are in my thoughts and prayers. The pain of losing when new is so deep ...to the very very depths of our souls but in time the memories will bring a gentle tear and a smile I hope. You and Rudee were so lucky to have each other in your lives. She will always be with you...a gentle soul in your heart.

Coco's mom
19th October 2006, 02:09 PM
Dear Claire,
I've been thinking about you and Rudee. My heart is breaking for your loss. I'm so sorry.
:hug:

Maxxs_Mummy
19th October 2006, 03:35 PM
Oh Claire,

I am truly so very, very sorry to hear about Rudee, I hope you are OK and know that you did the very best you could for her. She was obviously such an extremely loved little girl. My heart breaks for you :(

Thinking of you and sending you big hugs

XXXXX

RIP Little Rudee, run free at the Bridge little one, no more pain now :l*v:

BrodieSkyward
19th October 2006, 03:36 PM
Oh Claire! I am so so sorry for your loss. My heart is breaking for you too :cry*ing: I hope that you will have some comfort in these very sad times knowing that sweet little Rudee is out of pain and in a better place now *ng*l You are in my thoughs and prayers.

cecily
19th October 2006, 03:47 PM
Oh Claire I'm so so sorry. :( My heart just dropped when I read your post, I had to re-read it several times before it registered.

I know it's a terribly hard time for you right now, but take some comfort in the fact that Rudee had a very happy, full life and couldn't have wished for better. You gave her everything and I'm sure she'll be always by your side in some small way. Take some time out and look after yourself aswell. We're all here to support you if you need.

Rudee, I know you're sorry to leave such a loving mommy but enjoy being free from your earthly pains. Look out for my pair up there and impart some of your wisdom to them. :flwr:

arasara
19th October 2006, 04:15 PM
Oh Claire, sweetheart,

I am so sorry to hear this. Like many of the others, my heart fell to my feet when I read your post.

Please take care of yourself Claire - it is important to keep your head up. You did everything you could for your brave little Rudee - she will be with you always. :) Keep your memories of her near to your heart - they will comfort you in your times of sadness.

As far as I am concerned, Rudee could not have asked for a better mother. You were such a good mom - an inspiration to me I know for sure.

RudeePoohs,
We will miss you dearly, but I am happy you're running pain free with so many of the other cavaliers that have passed. :) You captured my heart with all of your pictures, and although I never met you, I felt I knew you personally. I can only hope that my baby will live to have a wonderful, full life like you did. Take care. :flwr:

Nicki
19th October 2006, 04:19 PM
Oh Claire I'm so very very sorry...we're just heartbroken for you.

Rudee touched all our lives, she was very special and your love for her shines through your posts...

She was lucky to have such a wonderful Mummy and share so many happy years with you. Thank you for looking after her so well and for being brave enough to give her her wings when her body got too tired to hold that special soul.

At least she is free of pain now, I'm sure she will be with our other Angels at the Bridge.

Thinking of you and sending our love, run free precious baby, you will be very much missed by us all xxxx

Alison_Leighfield
19th October 2006, 05:12 PM
My dearest Claire,

I'm crying with you believe me... she was such a darling, she captured all our hearts, she was a little treasure.

From the moment I saw her picture I fell in love with her, she was so like my little old Honey, a beautiful elegant older Cavalier, a face full of wisdom and wise looks behind such gentle eyes. Truly adorable. One in a million.

Rudee had a wonderful life with you and you now have your memories of her to treasure and keep forever.
Just think of the good times Claire that you had with her, all those very happy years that you shared together, it is painful but your tears will turn to smiles....it just takes time. :lotsaluv:

Alison xxx

Wilts, U.K.

pippa
19th October 2006, 09:53 PM
Oh Claire ,I am so shocked and so sad :(

I've only been on here a short while but Rudee was such a little sweetheart and you looked after her so well.

Please take care of yourself.

Sleep well now rudee :flwr:

Cathy Moon
19th October 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Claire. Such a sweet, precious little girl, and she's had such a good life with you! Cherish your many, happy memories of her. *ng*l

Cupcake Love
20th October 2006, 04:30 AM
:( :(

Oh Claire, when I read this I began to cry; what a sad day for you. I know I'm new to this group, but reading about how much you loved your little one really touched my heart and when this thread started I kept my fingers crossed that Rudee would pull through. Know that your girl is free of pain and discomfort now and will be waiting for you.

*hugs*

goldcountryrose
20th October 2006, 05:07 AM
I am crying too. What is it about these Cavaliers that make us love these little dogs more than we ever knew we could love something that isn't our spouse or our child.

I've only had my Toby for 2 months and I find myself worrying constantly that something will happen to him.

Since I am rather new, I don't know how long you had Rudee to love, but I have the impression that it was a long time. I cannot imagine how deeply you feel his loss.

judy
20th October 2006, 05:26 AM
aw claire, i'm so sorry. :(

Forest
21st October 2006, 01:27 PM
I, too, am writing this with the tears rolling down my cheeks. Dear Claire we all feel your pain and pray that the happy, fond memories of your darling Rudee will comfort you soon. The ache will be there for ages but you have to console yourself with the fact you know she is no longer suffering but I know you miss her so.
Loving thoughts and prayers from Julie and the girls :flwr:

Lindsay
21st October 2006, 02:43 PM
There are no words that I can say at a time like this. Just sending tons of hugs from Izzy, Spencer and I...

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
:l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v:
*ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l

alibunnylady
21st October 2006, 05:46 PM
I am still new here but have been reading about Rudee.

I am so very very sorry to hear such sad news. I'm sat here with a tear in my eye now. As I was reading down the messages, I really didn't expect what came, I am so very sorry. You must be so distraught.

Be at peace Rudee, no more pain and you're free to run wherever you choose now.

Alison

Nisha
22nd October 2006, 08:22 AM
oh Claire - i am sorry i didnt read this post earlier..

My heart just sank when i read the news...i am so very very sorry to hear of your loss..she was lucky to have such a great mum and been able to enjoy her life to the fullest. atleast she is not in pain anymore and you must believe she is having a great time now wherever she is and will be waiting for you.
Cherish your memories with her.

:( :hug:

emsley
22nd October 2006, 09:55 AM
Oh, Claire
I am so very very sorry to hear about Rudee
I am shedding tears with you for the loss of your baby
Sleep tight, Rudee, and run free

Mimi
22nd October 2006, 01:07 PM
I too am shedding afew tears for Rudee . Since losing my Ruby I understand how hard it is to lose a faithful companion . Hold on to the fact that she is now at the rainbow bridge and Ruby will be there waiting to meet a new friend .
Hugs and Kisses from Heidi and Nifa my two healers who came when ruby went to the Rainbow Bridge
Mimi

Vickie
25th October 2006, 05:10 PM
:cry*ing:

Hi Claire,

I'm new to the board but have been reading for a while and saw this post today, I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to see your very sad news.

I like many other have tears rolling down my face as I read the thread.

My thoughts are with you at such a sad time, Rudee looked like such a gentle and loving girl.

:hug:

frecklesmom
25th October 2006, 06:20 PM
Ah, Claire, my heart aches for you. These glorious, wise dogs grown old have ties to our heartstrings that are never broken. I cannot and I will not
believe that God created these miracles of unconditonal love to be forever separated from us by death. She will wait to see you again-you are her Mom.