• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Soiling in the house

Vanessa

We have two cavaliers, Sam is 4 and Louie is 2, Louie is our newest edition and has been with us nearly a year. Sam is neutured and Louie is not but they have both started wetting inside the house. This is happening on a regular basis. Our vet has recommened we have Louie neutured and they are trying to vie for top dog. Has anybody else had this problem or has anybody any advice. Please help. :? Thank you

Are they marking -- spritzing weith urine -- or doing full on pees?

It is usually wise to neuter one or both males anyway. There are also health benefits to the dogs in neutering.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_neuter.html

This kind of marking is not just a neutering issue usually, however; you will also need to work to train them -- which means starting from scratch by keeping an eye on them at all times and stopping the behaviour before it can happen (eg a firm 'no' and luring the dog away to do something else if it starts to lift a leg -- they cannot be given free rein in the house until this is totally resolved) and making sure every surface they spritz or have spritzed is cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner or biological washing powder solution to destroy the chemicals that otherwise will keep attracting them back to the same spots.

What Karlin said!

I'm afraid it could be a lot of work on retraining and keeping a very close eye on them. What you can do in the meantime is get a couple belly bands to use until they are trained.

We never had any problem when we had just 1 boy in our house but once we got more we found we had to keep a much closer eye on them, especially since all of ours are intact. They're pretty good now, but once in a great while, someone has a "Momentary Lapse of Reason*". Usually happens when we have a male boarder at our house.

*My apologies to Pink Floyd :lol:

I have two males one in tact who is coming up for 7 months old and the other is a neutered almost 3 year old.

I don't have this problem, but worry that it may start the little one appears to be the Alpha but like Karlin has said in the past this does not necessarily mean he is. I also tend to worry a little about this behaviour starting as it did with a friend of mine who only had one male and was trying not to get him neutered. She ended up getting him neutered at Nine Months, I am trying to hold off until the little one is a year old but if I start to see any of this behaviour of marking in my home I will first try and verbally correct and if that does not work he will definetely be going in to get neutered before the situation worsens.

Thank you all for your advice Louie is going in to be neutured next Tuesday. Will let you know how things are going. :flwr:

Louie

Hi all Louie was neutured yesterday, he got through surgery really well and is very comfortable today, our vet has said this may not help with the soiling, he thinks Louie is insecure because he joined our family when he was 2, previously he had lived with his mother. He needs lots of TLC. Will keep you updated. cavtiny

Back