• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teeth Cleaning

Coco&me

Hi

I've tried to clean Coco's little teeth, he loves the toothpaste (Chicken Flavor) but he hates the toothbush.

The first one that I got is like a human toothbrush, then I got one of those rubber ones (like baby's toothbrush, you can put on your finger). He refused to use any of them.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

The easiest thing to do for me was to use my finger at first to get him used to the sensation of rubbing his teeth, it must be very odd and unnatural for them. I put the toothpaste on my finger and rubbed away. Wesley rejected even this at first but the more often you do it, the more used to it they will get. Once he is comfortable with the finger, then add the rubber tip (after about a week or so).
Another way of introducing the tip is to let them sniff it, then give them a cookie. Do this once a day at a different time than you do the brushing. That way he won't associate the finger brush with the yucky sensation he doesn't like. He will then associate the rubber brush wtih a treat. When you are ready to bring the brush into the rubbing, give him a cookie after.

It is a slow process but it worked for me!!

Hi there,
I am new to this, but I did manage to have a lot of luck with brushing my puppy's teeth. Before I couldn't imagine sticking anything in my rambunctious puppy's mouth! I started out slowly, and later graduated to a toothbrush.

First of all, I didn't start teeth cleaning with a brush or finger stall, which I think you are referring to. I began introducing Coco (my Coco!) to my wet finger in her mouth, gently massaging her gums. No toothpaste.

Next, I used a little piece of gauze wrapped around my index finger, dipped in water. Again, I massaged her gums and tried to brush her teeth with it. Really she was just biting down on it. You are just trying to get her used to having your finger in her mouth. (I did this for a while, but it paid off.)

Then one day, I put a little doggie toothpaste on the gauze, and she went nuts! She loved it. So the next day I took out the toothbrush, but it looked huge for her tiny mouth. I had a baby toothbrush in the house, the kind for a human baby- it had a nice small head. It worked better. She really looks forward to having her teeth brushed and she's very cooperative!

It takes patience and time. I wouldn't rush into using a toothbrush yet. Get him used to having you put your finger in his mouth. I've heard a lot of dogs hate toothbrushing time- so you aren't alone.

I hope this helps you! :flwr:

Thanks Million! That's great! :thnku:
I'll give a go with the 'finger tech'. I'm sure Coco will love it! :p
Your puppies are sooooo gorgeous! I really think that Cavs are the cutest little things and they are very smart too! Coco knows how to use his cuteness to get away with everything.

Coco's mom, my Coco was 'suppose' to be a girl as well, but when I saw him the very first time (the pic), I just fall for him straight way and couldn't think a boy's name for him (I've picked the name before I went to the breeder) icon_whistling

Some dogs just will never tolerate having their teeth brushedeg Izzy and Joly, although Monty and teddy are quite happy about it. An alternative is Logic gel (sold under different names in the States). It contains enzymes and you let the dog lick it off your finger or smear it inside their mouths. You can also get a mouthwash, which you squirt into the mouth from a tube. My one, prescribed when Monty had his dental, is called Oral Hygeine Rinse and is made by Virbac.

Back