• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Panting! is it a problem??

Nisha

hi there, i just read in another panting thread that it could be symptons to mitral valve disease..
well my question is that both my dogs whenever we go on walks seem to pant quite a bit (it may have to do with the heat, and that they are tired of the walk)..but even at home after we have finished the walk they will go on panting for quite some time...
i have also noticed that on hot days they seem to pant lightly throughout the whole day ..it seems a bit much for a warm day...should i be concerned by this??? it also seems that one of my pups (milo) pants a lot more than monty does..is this a problem?or is it just regular pantinG? :? :|

Nisha,

It sounds to me like regular panting. If you are worried then get your Vet to have a listen to their hearts. If he can hear anything wrong then I'm sure he/she would refer you to a cardiologist.

I honestly think that we all get a bit 'paranoid' about typical Cavalier illnesses as we know that they are in the breed :( I know I used to rush off to the Vets with Maxx at the slightest sniffle - jeez I wasn't that bad with my human kids :lol:

Just keep an eye on them and as I said, if worried then pop them along to the Vets. I know that only a cardiologist can tell you for certain if it is MVD or not but their hearts can get so loud with it that a Vet would surely hear any problems first. :flwr:

Monty has always been a heavy panter, as is Joly. Joly's heart is fine and Monty does have mvd, which doesn't need medication, now, but he is eleven next month.

I am paranoid about Izzy's panting and huffy breathing, but then he has very advanced mvd, so with him it does matter. I've been worried the last couple of days, because of this, as it's difficult to know whether he's gone worse or it's the usual effect of the damp weather we are having.

I too used to be very panic minded. I notice that Shelby pants much harder than Jake. And that it takes her longer to cool down than Jake. But then, she has a much stubbier nose and I think that contributes to it. I have noticed though that eventually they both are fine. Eventually you will be able to see what is normal and what isn't. Jake sometimes will pant so hard he's laying on the kitchen floor with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. But if I go near the treat jar he's suddenly up and fine. Then goes back to panting. This is always have a hard ball game.

Barbara Nixon said:
Monty has always been a heavy panter, as is Joly. Joly's heart is fine and Monty does have mvd, which doesn't need medication, now, but he is eleven next month.

I am paranoid about Izzy's panting and huffy breathing, but then he has very advanced mvd, so with him it does matter. I've been worried the last couple of days, because of this, as it's difficult to know whether he's gone worse or it's the usual effect of the damp weather we are having.

I've had this problem with Cailean this week - excessive panting (he always pants, but much more than usual) and his cough has been much worse. He's a little more settled, but his MVD is pretty far advanced too.

It is a comfort that the damp weather may be contributory.

Izzy has been better, today, but is coughing more tonight and it is wet again. A friend told me that her poodle, who had heart trouble was al.lways affected by damp weather, too. I think it's something to do with the air pressure, because Izzy was really bad in the summer, but on oppressive days rather than hot ones.

ok..thanx for that...i think it probably was just regular panting..but compared to the last few dogs ive had these guys pant for the longest over a certain period of time..if i think it gets really bad ill just check up with the vet...hopefully its nothing serious..they are both 11 months so maybe it has 2 do with their age and the amount of time they can handle being walked???

I honestly think that we all get a bit 'paranoid' about typical Cavalier illnesses

yeah i guess so but its so hard not to be paranoid! ;)

Back