• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nail Problem

sannie

folks, today Max was whining a little and on closer inspection I discovered that the nail on his left hind leg was bleeding a little. It's not the nail on his foot it's actually a little bit up his leg. I know there's a name for it but I don't know it. There was a discussion here a while ago on the removal or not of these nails but I can't find it now.

Anyway, the nail hasn't totally torn away but there is a little blood at the site and he won't let me touch it so I think it's a bit sore for him. I'm not sure what to do, should I leave it or have a vet look at it? He was limping a bit earlier but it hasn't deterred him from running or playing. I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, if he tore it, bit it, pulled it etc..

Has anyone else had a problem with this. I'm wondering if it might get infected.
appreciate any advice..

Poor Max! I think you are describing his dew claw.

Yes, I would take him to the vet. The wound needs to be looked at, and he's in pain. I would take him in asap in case it's a puncture wound - he might need an antibiotic. :flwr:

Our dalmatian caught his dew claw on something and partially tore it off. The vet removed it because it would have only caused more problems down the road hanging like it was. Quick job to take off with just a local. We kept it dry and it healed quickly.

Poor baby!! Dew claws are usually removed by the breeder before you get your puppy. When the vet does it when theyare so young it doesn't require anesthesia, they just snip them off. :yikes

I would definitely take the little love to the vet and have it dealt with. The dew claws can get caught on anything (carpet especially) and can be really painful. Its much better to just get them removed to avoid he issues all together.

moniechris said:
Poor baby!! Dew claws are usually removed by the breeder before you get your puppy. When the vet does it when theyare so young it doesn't require anesthesia, they just snip them off. :yikes

I would definitely take the little love to the vet and have it dealt with. The dew claws can get caught on anything (carpet especially) and can be really painful. Its much better to just get them removed to avoid he issues all together.

IFF and It is a big IF, the litter is doing well, we remove dewclaws at 3 days. I didn't with our last litter because day three was Dec. 24th -- the vet wasn't open until the 27th. Our vet doesn't do them beyond day 4 or 5 usually.
A vet should look at the wound-- it could be superficial or it require antibiotics or removal (if it has done damage). Sandy

Back