• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi from North Co. Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.

orla

Hi Everyone.

Im Orla. and figured I would put my spoke in here and say hello.

Iam mammy to an almost 5year old black and tan beauty called Bella, who is and has been the light of our lives since the day she came to live with us.

I am also mammy to two girls (humanoids) (Sometimes!!!), I live in north Co. Dublin and Im a writer, of sorts.

I came here hoping to get some information on breeding Cavalliers, so if anyone could point to the right door, I would really appreciate it.
I am very nervous of the idea and would love some advice from the experts.

Many thanks, its nice to be here.

Orla. :D

Also please read the Getting Started section on what this board is about. I welcome any and all who love cavaliers and you are most welcome to the board, but breeding is not a subject that is discussable except under very specific circumstances, due to the serious risks posed to the breed by casual breeding (these are noted in the Getting Started section). We do of course have pointers to how to get involved in a meaningful way with the breed -- with the knowledge that will enable you to one day become a breeder and a protector of the good qualities of this at-risk breed. :)

Generally: if you want to breed then you really need to put in a year or two with the IKC breed club so that you learn how to recognise and conserve valuable qualities and genes in a cavalier, learn about genetics and the health issues that haphazard breeding will likely cause to surface in puppies, become very familiar with the two very serious genetic (and therefore, spread by breeding) health issues now in the breed -- MVD and syringomyelia -- and learn whether you have a cavalier that is able to make a contribution to the breed's overall health, appearance and temperament. Most pet cavaliers are not of this quality.

If you are nervous of the idea, then that's a good sign that you are rightly cautious and concerned, and that you need to put in a lot more time learning about dogs, the breed, showing to understand what you are trying to continue on in a cavalier line, and how to breed properly. What the vast majority of people discover is that breeding is not for them and never will be, because the cute pictures of puppies at the point where they go to new homes belies how hard breeding actually is, from the advanced work to the actual whelping and the many weeks of round the clock care you need to give to ensure a healthy litter. It really takes years of careful work to be a responsible breeder rather than a detriment to the breed -- and in general, a professional mentor is needed in the initial years. As well, pregnancy in this breed -- or any -- is always a risk to the life of your cavalier. If you do not feel confident to deal with the serious medical situations that can arise with both puppies and mother during pregnancy and whelping, and do not want to risk losing your own female cavalier, then again, breeding is best left to the professional show breeders. Incidentally your dog is really at the end of her potential breeding life anyway and if she hasn't been spayed, she should be -- unspayed females have a 25% chance of cancer and always run the risk of pyometra, a life threatening uterine infection that is common in unspayed females and almost always results in death if not caught immediately. There's more info on the health reasons to spay a female in the Health section of the library but your vet will surely confirm this to you as well.

I run Ireland's only cavalier rescue and can tell you that there is a serious problem of poorly bred cavaliers with health issues and shortened lives that come from two key sources: puppy farms and inexperienced breeders, as well as irresponsible show breeders who breed to make money from puppies, not to im[prove and conserve the breed and all its wonderful qualities. It is so much more fulfilling to not contribute to the problem, and go to a good breeder for any additional cavaliers you might want to own yourself. :)

You can PM me for further info, or feel free to open other topics elsewhere on the board -- but I am locking this thread as pointers on breeding are not a topic that is ever permissible on this board. (y) There are lots of threads on why. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back