• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I am nervous!

Lindsay

I had to take Howie the cavacat into the vet for his rabies shot this morning and I decided the time has come for Spencer to get his snip. He is scheduled to go in Thursday morning. I am just so nervous. I know it is a standard procedure, but I just don't like the idea of him being under anestesia and having surgery! He is my baby boy...I guess I am just being a worry-wart mother! :?

It's okay to be concerned, he's your baby! :luv: Most dogs do very well with the neutering surgery and recovery. When we had to do Riley, he was groggy and a bit uncomfortable after we brought him home. The next day he was acting as if nothing had happened at all! Totally energetic and doing all his normal behaviors.
Spencer will probably be just fine, many of us have had our boys go through it and had everything go just fine. Dogs are actually a bit tougher than us humans when it comes to surgery and recovery. They bounce back pretty fast. Don't worry too much, but we are all here for questions and support. :flwr:

I know how you feel and can certainly sympathize! Always a concern when your baby is put under, regardless of how safe it is assured to be.

One thing we try to do with our kids when one of them has to go under a anesthesia is to try to get other maintenance issues done at the same time if you've been putting them off such as teeth cleaning. A week ago today we had a cist removed from the chest of our Ruby Megan. The surgery was relatively quick so we had her teeth cleaned also at the same time.

I'm sure Spenc will be just fine. Like LauraD said with her guy, our Charley boy only moped for a day when he got snipped then right back to normal! Good luck!

hi

i know how u feel i havent had charlie done yet and one of the reason is haveing to have him knocked out ,i will have to force myself one day to take him, molly has had ops twice and i couldnt rest all day ,im sure it is safe so dont worry on thursday :)

I made an appointment for neutering three times and cancelled before i finally went through with it. :yikes he was wiped out until 12 hours after, not looking too good, and then, back to normal. very small incision, healed in days, he was okayed to return to the dog park one week after surgery. if the vet uses self dissolving stitches, that's the end of it. Otherwise, they need to have the stitches out, no biggie.

It's always scary for them to go in for anything. I was worried sick about Jake going under for teeth cleaning. Mine have gone under for neuter/spay, jawbone surgery, growth removal, patella surgery and teeth cleaning. Every time they came out just fine and I was so relieved. It's scary but I think we worry more than we need to...cause that's what we do ;) I'm sure he'll be fine and it'll be nice to do it and get it over with.

Cathy's right. We worry because it's what we do :roll:

I'm sure Spencer will be absolutely fine and remember, you're doing him a favour really. No anti-social humping, no fear of testicular cancer, no getting the wander lust after females in heat.....

I always worry about anaesthetics too but Maxx has always been fine with them. Sleepy, but fine :flwr:

I have felt a little nervous when they get anesthesia, too. I try to keep busy and well occupied while it's happening.

It's so wonderful to get or make that phone call later and hear your little one is ready to come home! :flwr:

:updte:

Just dropped off my baby boy at the vets. :(

This is going to be the longest day of my life! I have this week off from work, so I am going to be home all day long. Luckily I have plenty to keep busy with: making gumbo for dinner (which takes a good 2 hours to get it ready for my slow cooker), I bought a 'Learn to Knit' kit so that should be a challenge enough, & I am already working on getting all the little pee markings cleaned up - hence the reason he is getting fixed today! (The curtains are already in the washer :? )

I'm sure you all think I am nuts, but this really has worried me! Spencer is the first dog that is all mine, nobody else's. He is my baby boy! :l*v:

I will post again when he is home this evening safe and sound and healthy! :xfngr:

Well, I have a little tri-colored boy sleeping peacefully next to me right now :D :D :D :D So glad to have him home! All went well at the vets and they also cleaned his teeth while he was under, so here's to high hopes for better breath! :lol:

He of course has been groggy all afternoon, but right before he tuckered out this last time, he was acting like himself again. Although I have a feeling that he will be milking this for attention for a while. :roll:

Thank you all for your comments. It's not easy making the decision for a dog to have voluntary surgery, but I know I did the right thing. We will both be much happier now! :flwr:

lmallicoat said:
I'm sure you all think I am nuts, but this really has worried me!...

when i dropped zack off for neutering, i had brought some homeopathic stuff for them to give him and wanted to talk to someone about it. They took the stuff and and they took Zack and went into the back, i thought they were going to get the doctor or a technician, but they came out without zack and said it would all be taken care of. I didn't get a chance to hug him and tell him good bye. I asked if i could tell him good bye and they said no, they said it was too late, i guess they had already started his IV. I left feeling awful and i cried all the way to the grocery store. i didn't even understand why i was feeling that way. it was a long day.

glad to hear spencer made it through with flying colors and you have him back, getting back to normal, and gumbo too. :)

Oh I can totally relate...I cried before I even got to the vet! Mainly because he had started crying before we got there (I swear he knows the way to the vets!) :roll:

And the gumbo was a hit! :D Josh had 2 bowls and even my mom came over and ate some (y)

Glad to hear Spencer came through everything okay and is home again. Big relief for you i'm sure. :) By tomorrow he will probably be acting like nothing ever happened, that's the good part.
So now i have learned that if i am going to worry too much when my boy is at the vet, I should make Gumbo! :lol: Not only will it take up my time, but it tastes good too! Thanks for the tip. ;)

:updte:

This morning I had quite the scare with my little guy :yikes

We had been playing a little bit this morning and then I started brushing him. I flipped him over on his back and was holding him like a baby. I looked down and there was a knot the size of a golfball directly under where his incision was! :yikes

Of course I rushed him in to the vet to have him checked (the golfball had gone away but I took him in anyway). The vet said that sometimes his mating glands that lock the female onto him during mating can still swell very large and that is all it was. She said all looked well and that his incision was almost 100% healed. They didn't even charge me for the visit :D

I'm sure I looked like a moron, but Spencer is my first male dog EVER and I am not familiar at all with their "equipment". Just thought I would post this for anyone else that might be as clueless about the whole male thing as I am! 8)

Awwww bless you. I can imagine how worried you'd have been if you'd never seen this before. Glad he's OK and has recovered so well though :flwr:

Back