PDA

View Full Version : 9 month Blenheim dog at M/T Wales U.K.

Alison_Leighfield
25th October 2006, 09:45 AM
Seems he has a few "Food issues" and finds himself in here because of it....what a shame, could easily have been avoided.
Fine with other dogs etc, lovely looking little lad...needs time and some work.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

matties mum
25th October 2006, 11:34 AM
Oh what a little loverly fellow we are going on Friday to drop off some items so maybe will see him there? ---Aileen

Maxxs_Mummy
25th October 2006, 01:26 PM
Oh bless him. They obviously didn't care enough to try and help him along did they?

Alison, you know what Charlie's like with food and that's why we put a lead on him and hook it over the door handle when we feed them both. They then get fed at separate ends of the kitchen. It's either that or Maxx would get nothing but a bite from Charlie for his dinner :roll:

When he's hungry he now sits and barks at his 'food lead' to tell me he wants it on and his dinner in the dish :lol:

Treats used to be a nightmare but we've almost cured that problem too & now they only have the rare spat.

I guess I'm posting this to let anyone who might be interested in giving this little one a home, know that food aggression is not a totally incurable or insurmountable problem.

Cathy T
25th October 2006, 05:19 PM
I guess I'm posting this to let anyone who might be interested in giving this little one a home, know that food aggression is not a totally incurable or insurmountable problem.

Absolutely. I had terrible food aggression problems with Jake and Shelby (towards each other...never towards me) and solved it by feeding them in their crates. I remember my first trainer telling me that there are some behaviors you will never curb you just have to learn how to manage them. So now...we manage them! ;)

Barbara Nixon
25th October 2006, 06:30 PM
I crate feed Teddy and Joly. Izzy is as low eater and growls if any dog, except Monty approaches his bowl. Monty is a pushover, so needs to be free to eat in peace. Teddy and Joly are greedy and would not only eat too much , if free, but would challenge eachother over the spoils. If I can sort three, surely someone could have dealt with one.

Alison_Leighfield
25th October 2006, 07:36 PM
I know Barbara, :flwr:

it's an awful excuse to use to re-home a Cavalier with.....

but thats the down side to rescue...

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

matties mum
26th October 2006, 02:26 PM
The up side for this little one is some one will take him on and manage it---Aileen

arasara
27th October 2006, 04:40 PM
This is really sad for me because Kosmo is also 9 months old. That's so young to be food aggressive, and something that could have been easily avoided. Since Kos was tiny I used "can I have it?" and I will take whatever it is from him. If he's eating his favoritist of favorite treats I can still take it from his mouth as he's chewing it (not that i do it often, but it's good to know that he won't snap) It's just awful becaues it could have been so easily avoided. Donna - I am glad you found a way to work through that. I wouldn't have had the brains to think of doing something like that, hehe :)

Hopefully this boy can get a wonderful home with understanding owners that can help to make this problem disappear.

Maxxs_Mummy
28th October 2006, 08:17 PM
Sara,

It's Auntie Alison who had the brains to think of putting him on a lead. I was just sitting on the kitchen floor in between them both and when his lordship had finished I had to prevent him from getting to Maxx. Alison had a brainwave of putting Charlie on a lead to eat and it worked :D :flwr:

Alison_Leighfield
28th October 2006, 08:38 PM
Donna, :flwr:

Try now leaving the lead on but not hooked over the door so often, lay it on the floor beside him...then if he remains in the kitchen and eats without bothering Maxx you can remove it.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

misty
28th October 2006, 10:56 PM
I use a lead on Bradley when he gets on the sofa.

That way if he gets grumpy with Cailean, it's easy and safe to get him back on the floor.

It's a really good idea and I think I might have got it from Alison too, as I recall :)

misty
28th October 2006, 10:58 PM
Very sad that he ended up in rescue .... tbh, the dog stands a better chance now, as he will hopefully go to an understanding home that will help him work through his problems.

It's no different to a puppy farm dog really, and plenty of people are willing to take them on.

Maxxs_Mummy
29th October 2006, 01:16 AM
Donna, :flwr:

Try now leaving the lead on but not hooked over the door so often, lay it on the floor beside him...then if he remains in the kitchen and eats without bothering Maxx you can remove it.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Ermmmmmmmmmmm we have..... as soon as he realises he's free he's off to eat Maxx's dinner first :roll: :lol:

arasara
29th October 2006, 01:33 AM
LOL Well at least we know charlie is not unintelligent!! Alison - great idea! :) It's so inexpensive too - I would have made some expensive concoction that would most likely have failed on a trial run.. that's how it usually works out.. :lol:

Any news on this guy yet? Has he been homed? I would take him but Avi told me tonight we can afford NO more dogs right now (I think he took a look at Kosmo's christmas list! :lol: :lol: )

matties mum
29th October 2006, 07:55 PM
I have be today and he is a loverly lad and is so tiny compared to Barney but he is very friendly ----Aileen

Maxxs_Mummy
30th October 2006, 05:10 PM
You mean you didn't bring him home with you, Aileen? When we took a load of stuff down to Sylvia a little while back, my hubby wouldn't let me look round in case I came out with another dog :roll:

He doesn't know me very well does he? I mean, would I just go and get another dog? icon_whistling

matties mum
30th October 2006, 06:13 PM
I know I would have brought him home in a heart beat he was so cute and I have not stop taking about him and Annie since I got home----Aileen