• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scratched eye - possible surgery!

Nisha

oh my poor baby is in pain! :( :( :( ..i came home today and the dogs came rushing up to me and the first thing noticed was Milo's eye was totally messed up...

there was (what seemed like) tear stains all around his eye which had sort of formed a crust..and his eye looked really small compared to the other one..and some yellow-like goo was coming out of his eye...i took a warm cloth and cleaned his eye (he kept wincing as i touched him near the eye)..but it still loooked terrible and i was really panicky and scared and had no idea what to do so i just rushed him down to the vet...

the vet put some sort of yellow dye in his eyes then looked at it with some machine..and told me that milo had a scratch down his eye..

he prescribed him some eye drops that i have to apply in his eye every hour till tomorrow evening when i have to go in and have it checked up again...if the condition is the same (or even worse if it has gotten worse) they need to do immediate surgery on him...

and the bad thing is i dont even know what scratched him!! i have no cats..and ive gone around the place i leave my dogs in when im gone adn can find nothing!! im going to go look again right now

..im so scared for him i dont want anything bad to happen and i dont want to have to put him through surgery... :( well..tomorrow will tell what has to be done :(

Nisha,

So sorry about Milo, poor baby :hug: . Are his own claws long or sharp? I'm just wondering if he might have caught his eye whilst having a wash or a scratch....

Hope he gets better soon. Love to him from me and the boys :l*v: xxxxx

i just thought id post some pics of what it looked like,..you cant see it very well in these pics but its all i could get..(btw this is after i washed his eye so there is nothing :yuk: coming out of it)

278965979_578234e89e_m.jpg

278965981_8e33df65f3_m.jpg

278965985_406cf10ade_m.jpg

it doesnt look as bad in the pics..but it freaked me out!

Maxxes mummy Wrote

So sorry about Milo, poor baby . Are his own claws long or sharp? I'm just wondering if he might have caught his eye whilst having a wash or a scratch....

i hadnt thought of that?? ill have to go check,...but i dont really think its likely..i have never seen him one out his paws right close to his eyes..but it could be possible..i thought of the option that monty couldve scratched him but seriously?? that is like a 0 on the scale of 1 - 100..il have to go check milo's claws now though

Nisha,
Poor Milo and you! We're sending all our positive thoughts for him.

Is it possible they were playing and maybe it turned into a scuffle? That happens here sometimes with India & Geordie.

that might have been it...the weird thing was ..when i walked in the door BOTH monty and milo had a weird eye...but once i cleaned it up monty's seemed fine..so maybe it was a scuffle...but i dont kno..just came from cheking milo's claws..they're ok..but could do some damage if put in the wrong place..

One thing I have to do before I leave the house is make sure there are no toys or chews down that they might scuffle over! :roll:

Luckily they have a number of 'low value' stuffed animal toys they do not chew that I can safely leave with them.

Also, I don't like to leave kongs for them unless they're well separated or if I'm taking one dog with me. On the rare occasion when we do give kongs, there is only the tiniest dab of peanut butter near the opening so it's gone as I'm walking out the door, and I don't worry they'll scuffle.

This is just a guess, but it seems like it's more likely to happen with 2 dogs that were raised together as puppies, as were Milo & Monty, and India & Geordie.

Hugs to you and Monty! :hug:

Oh no! Poor Milo! What an awful shock for you when you got home.
I do hope that the drops prevent him from having to have surgery. Hugs to you and the boys from Julie and the girls

That must have really scared you! Glad you acted quickly and took him to the vet's office. We've talked before about eye problems and have suggested people not wait with an eye injury. Jake got a cat scatch across his eye as a baby and we did the ointment and antibiotics. It cleared up and had no lasting results. Hope he feels better soon.

Don't worry. Your vet probably likes giving the worse case senario. One I took Izzy to, did. Izzy had earache and she mentioned possible facial palsy.The photo doesn't look as bad as your description. Monty had something similar last year.

Both he and Izzy, close an eye if they get an ear infection, so I took Monty to the vets, expecting ear drops. However, the vet put in some of the disclosing drops and showed me the scartch on his cornea. I think Joly probably did it, as he's always messing about Monty's face and has sharp claws.

We got some eye ointment to be used twice a day and the eye looked fine after about two days, though it's important to finish the course.

Oh that eye looks sore. I bet it will be OK w/o surgery, and hope he feels better fast. Because eyes are so large and prominent, they can scratch their eyes very easily -- lots of things in the house when playing could potentially be the cause, or outside, running thru underbrush, etc. The scratch could very likely have happened a previous day or so as well as it is hard to tell with those sorts of things. Scuffles too. Fortunately they actually seem to do things to their eyes only very rarely! But it is painfuil to have a scratch; my dad had one years ago and I remember how uncomfortable it was. I'd follow the vet's advice carefully and I am sure he will be fine. :flwr:

Oh you poor thing! His eye looks exactly like Kingston's did when a cat got him about 3 weeks ago. I was in an absolute panic and rushed him to the doctor as you did. Unfortunately, his eye was not only scratched but it had a hole in the cornea. He had surgery right away, and the next day he was tons better (could open his eye and see just fine). Please keep us updated on your little one!

Oh what a scare!! Poor Milo! I hope everything will go well with the vet and his eye won't end up needing surgery. Good thing you got him to the vet as soon as you could. Sending you and Milo positive thoughts. :flwr:

so sorry to hear about this injury, i sure hope he doesn't need surgery. as karlin said, it could've happened on a previous day, had he been outside playing at all?

Last summer, Zack ran outside to fetch a ball as he'd done a thousand times before, and he came running back happily with the ball. Then, he dropped the ball and started rubbing one of his eyes with his paw and shaking his head. He looked up at me and one eye was half closed. But a few seconds later, he picked up the ball and his eye returned to normal, and he continued playing. He looked fine, there was no sign of anything. I figured he ran into a bush when he chased the ball, and for a moment was very scared, then relieved that he seemed fine.

The next morning the eye was closed and had discharge around it. He went to the vet and I can't even remember now what the treatment was, drops and ointment, the drops were atropine i think to keep the pupil dilated. He had that for about a week and it cleared up. The diagnosis was corneal ulcer.

good luck, i hope milo will heal fast with the medication. sorry you have to go through this.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that Milo is healing and will have a good outcome. :xfngr: Sending more positive thoughts your way! :flwr:

thanks everyone for your kind words..Milo's eye looks much better today but it still is a little red and looks smaller than the other - but i think it should be fine..

it mightve happened the other day..but just today i was watching them both play and when they play (i had always realised this but never took much notice) they sort of go up on two paws and play fight with two paws in the air which come near the others face..i never took much notice of this before..but i think it is possible that maybe monty accidently touched milo's eye when they were playing...i dont think its ever happened before but there's always time for a first..

im taking milo to the vet in 2 hours to get his checkup...i'll let you guys know how it goes! hopefully good news!

anyway thankyou :flwr:

~Nisha and the furbabies~

hi everyone! well just got back from the vet and happy to say that Milo's outlook is pretty good!...

the vet thinks that his eye has cleared up pretty well but not as well as he had hoped as the eyes are still red and cloudy at the top..so he's given me another set of eye-drops to use with the first set and gave Milo a quick needle (which milo didnt like..you shouldve seen the way he pressed against me and he wouldnt even except the treats!!!!! :shock: ) and has asked me to come back on saturday.. :roll: ..

well he's not in the clear yet but i think it should be pretty fine and the vet seemed positive (wel i think anyway..he first told me to come back next tuesday but after examining the eye he said this saturday :? )..but it think all in all its pretty good.. :p

anyway thanks again for your kind words..it really reassured me.. :)

Back