• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Preventing Eye Tearing/Staining

RockNRollCav

I know the topic of cleaning tear stains has been talked about a thousand times, but I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent it. My mom switched her Papillon to a good quality food and that worked for her, but my dogs are on good food (Natural Balance Ultra Premium) and Corgan's eyes still run like crazy.

Is there anything I should add to his diet to help?

I'm going to try only giving him veggies and dog food as treats, and stop giving rawhide, which the woman at the petstore suggested, but is there anything else??!!

Thanks a bunch!! :)

I've never had diet matter one iota, whether feeding raw or homecooked, adding yogurt or all the things people suggest. At times their eyes just seem to get runny or to not get runny! :?

I never really had any problem witn staining until Maxx was on antibiotics for an anal gland infection. His eyes and chin have been stained ever since :(

I don't know how you can prevent it except maybe trying food without any yeasts in and some pro/prebiotic yogurt to try and balance the floras in the gut. It does sometimes work.

It can't be diet because of mone only Izzy stains badly and Monty in very draughty weather. I tried lots of the remedies suggested and none worked, especially the branded stuff. i think the best thing to do is clean d dry on a daily basis.Use kitchen roll not cotton wool, as tiny fibres can get into the eye and cause problems.[/i]

dog tearing

I have no idea if this works but I read on one of these sites that apple cidar vinegar is the ticket to take away those pet stains and keep them away.

Seems to be worth a shot.

I asked my vet about this, and she said there's really nothing you can do. It's just a thing with big-eyed dogs. She said the best we can do is wipe them clean a couple times a week, or use any of the commercial tear stain cleaners, but other than aesthetics, it's not a big concern.

My mom has a heckuva time with her poodles, too. She's tried every product on the shelf, and they don't really work. Well, it cleans them up, but then they go right back *sigh*

Corgan had a check-up the other day and I asked about the tearing, so they put a little uv dye in his eyes and confirmed that his tear ducts are blocked...nothing to do unless we want to do cosmetic surgery, which we don't. Guess we'll just be wiping tears away for a long time!

Bella tears up all the time. I just clean it up with a piece of kitchen towel or a tissue. I try to keep the area clean to avoid staining and possible infection.

It's annoying but I've always assumed that it's just a part of the breed and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Contact Solution works well for daily cleaning. Our vet has suggested bottled water due to high iron levels in our tap water. Also suggested parsley flakes with dinner...both helped minimally but the bottled H2O was just too much $$$

Now we jsut clean daily...if you stay on it the stains will get better.

Thats whats happening here ....Colby is tearing sooooo much lately ! i wonder why ?? he is 10 months old now . If I can stop the tearing the controlling staining would be much easier . But how do I stop it ??

Back