• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When do the freckles show up?

SHANO

I was just wondering, I've seen a lot of Cav's with the freckles on the nose. At what age do you first start to see them?

Kosmo's tummy freckles showed up around 3 1/2 months and his face freckles showed up FAINTLY at 4 months but as time goes on they keep getting darker@! :)

I miss his pink squidgy puppy tummy.. :(

Bella is 3 months and she's got some nice freckles. DH fondly calls her "Nose Dots" :lol:

I love them! :luv:

Bentley's trio of freckles were already on his cute little face when I got him at 4 months (and he also has 2 more faint-colored freckles on the other side of his nose!).

WoodHaven said:
Freckles pop up between a couple of weeks to a couple of years.

i never knew that. i got Zack at about 3 1/2 months and he aready had them on his face, legs, belly, in brown and in black, i always thought he was born with them.

zyoung.jpg

A breeder friend of mine placed a gorgeous boy in a pet home. The dogs face was clean-- When the new owners picked him up--- they were upset that he didn't have any of those "cute freckles". She didn't know if she wanted to laugh or cry.

judy said:
WoodHaven said:
Freckles pop up between a couple of weeks to a couple of years.

i never knew that. i got Zack at about 3 1/2 months and he aready had them on his face, legs, belly, in brown and in black, i always thought he was born with them.

zyoung.jpg

Nope, all the pups we've had were born with their normal coloring-- but freckles and ticking come in as they get older. For a show dog-- freckles can distract from the ahhhhh factor.

WoodHaven said:
A breeder friend of mine placed a gorgeous boy in a pet home. The dogs face was clean-- When the new owners picked him up--- they were upset that he didn't have any of those "cute freckles". She didn't know if she wanted to laugh or cry.

Oh Sandy!!! I can just imagine!! :lol: :lol:

Our Fillipa came to us at 7 1/2 months as she had developed freckles and this ruined her show prospects. So we were very grateful!!

The Charlies {English Toy Spaniels} seem to have more freckles and ticking than the Cavaliers...

A few freckles are not a fault in charlies but really heavy ticking is not desirable.
Before my tri charlie was speyed she would moult all her hair & end up looking like a pink dalmation :lol:

Here is one of our rescue cavs, i've never seen another so spotty

DSCF0513lo.jpg

DSCF0512l.jpg

AT said:
A few freckles are not a fault in charlies but really heavy ticking is not desirable.
Before my tri charlie was speyed she would moult all her hair & end up looking like a pink dalmation :lol:

DSCF0513lo.jpg

DSCF0512l.jpg

OK-- you win (smiling) I won't complain about a couple of freckles EVER again. Even in cavaliers, a couple of freckles and a bit of ticking isn't necessarily the end of a show career.

That's interesting! What great info! It's neat to see all the different markings on the pups. I just had a dream the other day that the boy I will be getting has a freckle on the right side of his nose, so I'm interested to see if that happens. :)

AT said:

DSCF0513lo.jpg

DSCF0512l.jpg

Woah, that doggy has measles! roflmao

Alison

Now if someone tried telling me that was a dalmation cross, I might take them seriously.

For an infintesmal part of a second... :D :D Love it. Holly's markings are perfect for a B/T, but I've noticed as Chloe grows she has white parts on one side of her nose that get brighter, and there's a hint of one on the other. Cute. :D

Lisa_T said:
Now if someone tried telling me that was a dalmation cross, I might take them seriously.

For an infinitesmal part of a second... :D :D Love it. Holly's markings are perfect for a B/T, but I've noticed as Chloe grows she has white parts on one side of her nose that get brighter, and there's a hint of one on the other. Cute. :D

Wow, that is the most amazingly speckled cavalier I have ever seen!! :)

Generally as noted a white muzzle without freckles on the particolours would be considered desireable, so many people would hope they never show up at all. :lol: But you do see a few on show dogs from time to time. :)

It's funny how one day a puppy will have a tiny little spot on one leg, say, and then it grows and grows as they get a bit older to a proper big spot. Also the colouring starts to fill in the white bits as they grow too so a puppy with a really wide blaze can end up with just a narrow strip of white, especially in tris. Fascinating to look at good breeder sites and the puppy to adult pics some have there just to see the changes!

Teddy was bought as a possible show dog, but had one spot near his nose. however, a judge told me that a couple of spots are fine, provided that they don't detract from the dog's facial expression. By 6 months the one spot was three, whcih would have been ok, but he developed other faults, so left fame to his litter brother

Back