• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccine

frecklesmom said:
Intervet has come out with a DAP vaccine that is labeled for every 3 yr.

There has been 3 year vaccines for a while now. Some vets don't want to stock it because it is harder to get people into the office without a "direct" reason.

By DAP Vaccine, do you mean Dog appeasing pheromone vaccine, like the plug ins? Or am I just 'barking up the wrong tree' ?

The vaccine mine have is in two parts, so theoretically, they could just have the lepto annually. However, as parvo is widespread in our area, they need that too and that is bottled with the three yearly stuff, so they get everything once a year. Our vet retired and the new ones have changed brand to one that includes kennel cough and that needs doing every year.

Maxxs_Mummy said:
By DAP Vaccine, do you mean Dog appeasing pheromone vaccine, like the plug ins? Or am I just 'barking up the wrong tree' ?

here is DAP

Continuum® DAP is a modified live virus vaccine containing attenuated strains of canine distemper virus (CDV), adenovirus type 2 (CAV-2), and parvovirus (CPV).

My vets do the lepto separately so that's all I get. I think the one and three years are the same vaccine anyway just labelled differently. I know some have a three-year available but as Sandy notes many vets don't stock it.

Barbara Nixon said:
The vaccine mine have is in two parts, so theoretically, they could just have the lepto annually. However, as parvo is widespread in our area, they need that too and that is bottled with the three yearly stuff, so they get everything once a year. Our vet retired and the new ones have changed brand to one that includes kennel cough and that needs doing every year.

I am just coming up on the time to have Zack's first year boosters. I intend to find vaccinations that don't include things he doesn't need. Overvaccination is believed by knowledgeable people in veterinary medicine to likely undermine dogs' health, short term and long term. For that reason, i will need to shop from vet to vet until i find one who can give him only the vaccinations he needs.

I'm in driving distance from Jean Dobbs, the veterinary immunologist and vaccine researcher who is a leader in the advance of knowledge about dog vaccination, and if i can't find someone closer (she's about 30 miles away) i will definitely go to her. She is highly committed to doing the least harm with vaccines. If only most vets shared this commitment, overvaccination could be removed as a threat to dogs' health, and there could be a decrease in unexplained chronic illnesses that have been growing in frequency in recent years, harming dogs' quality of life and shortening their years. That is the motivation of those who are laboring to fund new research and change rabies laws.

I haven't asked yet if my local vet can perform enlightened vaccination but i think it's likely. She volunteered that they do titers there, which suggests she probably shares this commitment. I'm sure she will have the 3 year rabies vaccine.

I've read in several credible sources that there is no difference between the 3 year rabies vaccine and the 1 year rabies vaccine, except the labelling. The most recent source I've read is the article about overvaccination in the current issue of the Whole Dog Journal, available on line at their website.

According to these sources, the annual rabies schedule was selected arbitrarily, not based on any science, and evidence has been coming in that this potentially harsh harmful vaccine has a far longer duration of immunity than one year, and that three years is extremely safe since there is evidence, however anecdotal, that duration of immunity may be for the life of the dog, and certainly for several years (Dr Dodds and others are working hard to raise funding to do a large controlled study that will demonstrate this, in order to change the laws which require that dogs be overvaccinated for rabies).

At this time, the recommendation is that dogs have a rabies booster one year following the first shot, and after that, every three years. This is considered by top vets (leadership of the professional associations) to be very reasonable and safe, more frequent than is really needed, that is, they are not making recommendations that stretch the schedule to the limit of what is safe, they have chosen this schedule because their evidence suggests it's more than safe, with plenty of leeway in the duration of immunity. Yet vets are still vaccinating yearly for rabies. :-(

Despite the fact that the three year product is no different from the one year product, if a vet only stocks the one year product and the one year product is given to the dog, by law the dog will have to be revaccinated in a year to be legally vaccinated. So i will definitely shop around to find a vet who uses the three year product, but i can't imagine my vet would have the old fashioned one year product because that office markets itself as "holistic," although it offers good solid conventional treatment.

About bordatella, to be safe, if a dog is at risk due to prevalence in one's area, or a need to be boarded in a kennel, then it should be known that the bordatella vaccine does not last a whole year, and may last only 6 or 8 months (according to the information in the American Animal Hospital Association/AAHA 2006 report among other sources).

I'm persuaded by several sources (including the AAHA which classified bordatella as a "non-core" vaccine), that in older healthy dogs, bordatella is usually not a serious illness, though uncomfortable, but in puppies or weaker older dogs, if at risk of exposure, or in high risk situations, it would be more safe to have that vaccination more frequently than once a year, according to the AAHA report and other knowledgeable sources. These sources are cited and quoted in the WDJ article.

Back