• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wash and blowdry

cecily

How often do you give your cavaliers the salon treatment? 8)

I just wonder because I read somewhere that frequent bathing can strip the dogs skin of natural oils which gives them dry, flaky skin. Tandie's skin would be fairly dry I think, and her coat is quite coarse. I only realised quite how coarse it was after meeting the likes of Lisa_T's Holly, Phoebe, Cody & some of the other dogs at training. They all had silky soft locks!!! :D Granted Tandie was clipped not so long ago and has fairly short hair. This might have an effect? Any recommendations for shampoos etc?

cecily,

My boys are bathed once a month (unless they get really dirty!)

I use Crazy Pet - baby Powder shampoo for puppies & dogs and just pop abit of Loreal NutriGloss on their backs and behind their ears to keep tangles at bay. ;)

Wow once a month! :shock: I wish mine would stay that clean! I have a fenced in backyard and they love running and sliding and jumping and getting dirty (especially since the leaves are falling now!) Mine get a bath at list once a week or every 2 weeks. They just stink! :yuk:

teddy has been having them twice a week, then once , for ages, too treat with malaseb. I've just tried to get him , but he went into his crate and I'm not brave enough to pull him out. Joly got the bath meant for him, because i'd already run some water into the bathtub. I'm amazed at the dirt and gret which came of Joles, because he didn't look filthy.

Now to lure out the monster. The trouble is that he's fed up of the process, because he has to stand , with shampoo on , for 10 minutes.

Mine get bathed every two weeks. I alternate between bathing them myself and having them groomed at the salon.

Tandie's short coat is the reason it's not as soft. All but one of my fosters has had a clipped coat and it's not nearly as silky as an unclipped coat. When I've rehomed a foster with a clipped coat I always refer them to my groomer. She's has great suggestions on how to help the coat grow out nicely. But she does warn that if the coat has been clipped for too long it won't ever be silky but can become softer.

Anyone have any suggestions for a clipped coat?

Because I have three wonderful furbabies, the only real way to get them all done at once is to literally have an assembly line! My fiancee washes one in the tub, passes him off to me to be blowdried, then washes the next and passes and so forth. It is really quite funny to watch because the boys seem like they make fun of each other while the other is getting a bath. It isn't so funny when it is their turn though...lol :lol: Then they zoom around the house like a bunch of idiots. I always have to make sure to potty them BEFORE the bath because if I let them out then they roll in the dirt :sl*p:

My cavies only get bathed once or twice a month, depending on how dirty they get. I like to make sure that they don't stink when company comes over so that may throw off the twice a month schedule.

My shih tzu on the other hand gets baths weekly because he is a little dustmop. ESPECIALLY in the winter when his coat needs to stay longer for warmth. :? Thank God cavaliers are so low mantainance or I would just die.

On all of them I use John Paul products for pets (it's put out by Paul Mitchell.). I use the moisturizing shampoo and the gardenia detangler for their ears.

Hi has anyone recomendations for dry skin / dandruff . Nifa is fine and has a lovely glossy coat but Heidi has really dry skin . We try not to wash her too often in case this contributes to the dry skin. Heidi's ears are lovely and silky but the rest of her coat is short and not so silky. She's a Tri
Any suggestions welcomed .
Mimi

I bathe Cupcake every week with some special shampoo/conditioner the vet gave me. Cupcake tends to get a bit itchy during this time of year so this stuff keeps her skin well moisturized. She is such a good girl when I give her a bath, but a terror once she is out! I have found that if I dry her ears then she isn't a complete tasmanian devil. :p

lmallicoat said:
Wow once a month! :shock: I wish mine would stay that clean! I have a fenced in backyard and they love running and sliding and jumping and getting dirty (especially since the leaves are falling now!) Mine get a bath at list once a week or every 2 weeks. They just stink! :yuk:

I don't like to over bathe them in case the oils in their coats get stripped out. If we are out and get totally filthy, then a nice warm shower with clean water, blowdry and a tumble dryer sheet rub over and they smell just yummy again until proper bath time. :flwr:

I sort of have a ritual that I keep to - otherwise I'd forget where I was up to! icon_whistling
Every other day, good groom
Every sunday, nail check, ear clean, teeth clean and extra "power groom"
Last sunday of the month, bath and blow dry unless it a birthday or special occasion! ;)

To be honest Merlin is quite a good dog when we are out - he tends not to go straight for the mud - I think that might change though as I think Oakley is going to get him into all sorts of mischief! :lol:

I wash Phoebe once or twice a week because I'm slightly allergic and this is supposed to be very good for keeping her dander at bay.
Cathy T is right though. Tandie's coat is very short at the moment.

Mimi said:
Hi has anyone recomendations for dry skin / dandruff . Nifa is fine and has a lovely glossy coat but Heidi has really dry skin . We try not to wash her too often in case this contributes to the dry skin. Heidi's ears are lovely and silky but the rest of her coat is short and not so silky. She's a Tri
Mimi

My springers used to suffer from dandruff until I started using Vitapet oil. I bought it, order only, in gallon cans, so sometimes ran out and you could always tell when this happened.

On others advice, I have used epo oil for my cavaliers, but bought some bottles of Vitapet, in a closing down sale and found the result better. It wasn't my imagination, as someone who normally used epo, too, ran out and was given some Vitapet. She said it was better, too.

It's much more expensive than epo, but I have sourced 4 litre cans at £20 (or was it £25 -I've forgotten as it's lastedmy 4 so long) delivered.

Dudley and Darby usually get a bath about every 2 weeks unless they are stinky and smelling bad then it is more often.

1/8 tsp of Fish Oil is very good for dry skin, just watch the stools to make sure they are not loose if they are give it ever other day.

Murphy would be in the shower every time we are if he had the chance, he loves it, its a fight to keep him out :lol: He wishes he was a little taller. Usually he gets showered once a month unless he finds a really muddy puddle. He doesn't get bathed cause he doesn't like standing in water

Thanks everyone!

Cathy, I was thinking it was the fact her hair was clipped alright. It was quite a tight cut by the looks of it. I'm no expert, but it's quite wirey in places (especially around the hindlegs / tail) and I get the impression it's always been kept clipped short.

Donna.. I'll buy that stuff you recommended. Worth it if it helps! :flwr:

Mimi said:
Mimi
Mimi, Chocolate used to have a mild case dandruff, and we've been giving her fish oil for almost a year - the omega 3 in the oil has completely cured her flaky skin. :)

My 3 adult cav's go to the groomer every 6-7 weeks for bathing, blowdry & nail clipping.

Jolly needs a touch-up on his paws and legs nearly every day. He loves to DIG!

i bath my boys from about once a month to 1 1/2 months...i used to do it myself but now i get the dog washing people to come and wash and blowdry (they also put this dog cologne on them that stays in for about 3 weeks...hmm smells so good!) they stay quite clean..only if they get really dirty do i bathe them more ...with the fishoil..do u put it in their food???

Hi Cecily,
We use the Quistel shampoo and conditioner. We have the lotion too but don't use it that much. We wash the girls about once a month but sometimes Twinkle gets done more often if she's been digging :roll:
Joanna

Back