• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New ruby girl

BIZA

I have just picked up a 8 week old ruby girl.She is so naughty i have called her Havoc. She is the first ruby i have had in fact i have only ever had tris do people find that the different colours have different temperments i know that chocie labs are supposed to be naughtier and the red and white collies sharper than the other collies is this the same in the cav?Havocs not really naughty just a real live wire always on the go the tris seemed much calmer.

Conrats on the new baby!!!! Havoc is such a clever name!!

I don't know...my tri is a complete nut job. He is hyper, silly and can be down right obnoxious with his energy level. I love him to pieces because he is such a clown and constantly making me laugh. :fool: icon_devil He is only 3 so hopefully with age he will be able to chill a teeny tiny bit....or A LOT!!!

I don't think it is really color specific... more individual personalities.

This is his "I'm totally busted" face:

Animals014.jpg

Love the name Havoc! On any given day one of mine qualifies for that name. My little ruby girl is only 12 lbs. and rules the roost. She wrestles our largest male to the ground and is the queen around here and she is also the most affectionate of the group.

Breeders don't seem to think the colours are any different. My mad boy is a blenheim and all the rubies I have met personally are laid back boys and girls -- it depends a lot more on whether you get the dominant puppy or two in the litter as that is going to be the most outgoing and in-your-face of the bunch. If you get a puppy elsewhere in the litter hierarchy they will range right across the personality spectrum (many breeders therefore place puppies with new owners rather thsan having owners pick their puppy, as it helps avoid the wrong puppy going to the wrong family. A quiet couple probably will not want the dominant puppy in the litter -- I actually deliberately did not choose the most outgoing in the litter myself though I got a real personality nonetheless in Jaspar! (one of the tris was far more outgoing than he was and probably the cutest pup in the bunch -- but I knew I didn't want the dominant pup. I can only wonder what he is like!!). That breeder is one who usually matches people to puppies himself, but let me choose my choice of the litter first, due to a kind recommendation. :) I knew I had to have Jaspar and he is really my dream dog -- if a bit overly vocal at times! :lol: I have one very easy going tri (Leo) with the sweetest personality imaginable; and one bossy tri female (Lily) who tries hard to be good. Also certain personalities will be prevalent in certain lines too when you go to a proper breeder who breeds for temperament. :)

Well...that's nice compared to what I sometimes call Jake (only in my mind though! ;) ). Havoc..too cute!!

Congratulations on your new pup!! Havoc - :lol: that's a gorgeous name! i dont really think colour makes a difference to their personality ...

Karlin Wrote
I actually deliberately did not choose the most outgoing in the litter myself though I got a real personality nonetheless in Jaspar

lol tell me about it..my Milo was the quietest one in the bunch..he walked over to me and just sat in my lap the whole time not moving and chewing my finger...the rest were scampering all over me ..cute but overwhelming...

Monty on the other hand was def not the alpha..he came over to me and played but then went over to his mama (dog called Bella) and was all over her...it was obvious who the alpha of the litter was! he was the only pup that had been taken..extremely cute and VERY playful..but a bit bossy...wonder what happened to him!..i think i got the best two of the bunch (well naturally icon_whistling ;) )... im sure Havoc is a sweetie...do you have any pics of her! i wanna see this cute mischievious pup!

Saucy Redhead

Must be a ruby thing. I have heard this before, the "naughty ruby syndrome". I just got a ruby 2 months ago, and I can't believe how mischevious she is. My goodness! I call her my saucy redhead. She's got a real attitude. But she is the smartest dog I have ever worked with. She knows sit, stay, lay down, rollover, watch me, and all the hand signals to go with them... (not that I'm bragging or anything lol). Seriously, though, she is a quick learner and loves to please us. Her brother on the other hand is as sweet as can be, but a big dope. But so loveable! They are so different! Love them to death though!

Love the name Havoc!! That name could apply to at least 3, maybe 4, of our dogs.

There is a thing among breeders we know refering to rubies as "Naughty Ruby". We have 3 rubies and I have to say, only one would come close to what I would consider "Naughty Ruby". I really think it was a term coined sometime back by someone who had a really wild ruby, it sounded cute, so it stuck. I really don't see anything in my experience that would suggest we could generally say rubies are naughtier than any of the other colors.

I know my little ruby is much more mischievous than Holly ever was- but to be honest I think it's just typical puppyness. Generally, she's a good little thing and Holly keeps her in good order. Holly has done more than anyone to cut back on Chloe's bite-y-ness. Chloe is also very bright and she's easier to train in a sense that she's everything motivated. Food, cuddles, play- you name it, she wants it, especially if Holly is already getting it :D :D

Lisa_T said:
I know my little ruby is much more mischievous than Holly ever was- but to be honest I think it's just typical puppyness. Generally, she's a good little thing and Holly keeps her in good order. Holly has done more than anyone to cut back on Chloe's bite-y-ness. Chloe is also very bright and she's easier to train in a sense that she's everything motivated. Food, cuddles, play- you name it, she wants it, especially if Holly is already getting it :D :D

Totally agree with you there Lisa - I have to put a lead on Oakley and tie him to the chair to clean Merlin's ears - because Oakley wants his doing at the same time otherwise!

Coming from another Ruby owner, Darby is much much more active and mischievous than Dudley ever was. :D :D :D :D

If he had been a girl, I would of definetley called him SASSY icon_whistling icon_whistling .

I love his personality he is curious about everything, he is much more playful than Dudley. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think it has to do with Puppyhood as well, Darby is now 7 months old.
If I am snuggling with Dudley he has always got to be in my face, not sure if he is the more dominate yet as Dudley will put him in his place when he gets fed up. :D :D :D

My breeder always told me that she thought the whole colours were a little spunkier who knows.

Just enjoy that active personality. :D :D :D

I call Darby Little Red,. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Mine told me rubies are easily distracted. I've certainly seen that flighty distractable ruby side of a friend's ruby bitch, Sam. Breeder also said ruby bitches can be aloof, and that's also true of Sam. Having said that, Holly isn't always interested in being petted by people outside the house either! Chloe's dad was B/T, and her mother and grandmother tris (who according to breeder are hopelessly affectionate)- certainly Chloe is becoming a licky pup. Holly didn't really become licky until she was five months, much to my mother's disgust. I clearly remember Mum disengaging a franticly licking Baby Holly from her hand, holding her up with an indescribable expression, and saying "When did you become a licky pup?!" :D :D :D

Your new baby must be related to my two girls. Just yesterday I was saying (in a VERY loud voice) that "you girls create Havoc wherever you go!." :yikes Loving Havoc - what a concept! :D

JaneB

Havoc is a wonderful name! I love it!

I remember being told that B/T's have a stubborn streak. That sure fits my Pixie to a T.

Hope to see pictures of Havoc!

Will try and get some decent pictures but so far have only managed either a blur or just a tail the only time shes still is when shes asleep.She loves gardening and i have more leaves in my kitchen than in the garden but would worry if she wasnt like it.The others are just begining to play with her having sulked for nearly a week its the big dogs that have been more patient with her.

Back