• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More advisors over here please!!!

cecily

Talk about speaking too soon?! I was just gloating on the thread about Kingston and Lucky this morning about how my home has been diarrhea free with Tandie... not any more it would seem. :roll:

First symptoms were early this morning where she got up around 5am needing to go (usually she sleeps right through). Hubby took her out and it seemed a bit runny. She was fine all morning and we took her for a walk around lunchtime. She was a little quieter than usual on the walk. She had a normal poo, followed by splatter which she kindly left at the top of a very nice driveway :grnyuk: After that we dropped her off at my mums who was dogsitting for a few hours while we went into town. While there she was mostly fine, but not long before we came home she went out and had another runny poo. When I came home she was restless and moaning but didn't need to go. She then vomitted in the kitchen (and immediately perked up afterwards). She's gone once since we got home (again quite runny. No blood that I could tell).

Now I think it MAY have been caused by the amount of unusual & rich food she got on Sunday at training (a lot of cooked heart & cheese, plus the doggie cookies for example). Also while in my mums around tea time she managed to get up on the chair and grab the whole thing of butter off the table and was licking away at it in the corner when my mum found her icon_whistling I think this might have caused the vomiting. We rang the emergency vet anyway and she said it didn't sound too urgent and to do the usual and see how she is. She's been drinking lots of water and is in good form at the moment, so I'll monitor her but she should be ok.

The advice I need is this... we were due to go away for 3 nights tomorrow. We booked into a dog-friendly hotel in Galway, but I don't want to disturb her if she's ill. It's about a 3 hour drive (though we planned to stop lots & walk her on the way. She's a good traveller). Should we cancel? We'd lose our deposit but nothing's worth her health. :flwr:

I think she will be alright!! And, if she is sick in the morning, maybe she can go and visit phoebe again!! :)

Hopefully it's nothing cecily! :)

Feed her on just small meals of plain rice and some boiled chicken. I bet this will clear up by tomorrow. I'd just take her along. You could also withhold all food for 12 hours or so tomorrow -- eg don;t feed her in the morning, just try her on the rice and chicken in the evening.

Mine have never gone more than about a day with runny poos. I have learned that if any of mine wake up and seem to want to go out the bedroom door at an ungodly hour, it is time to put on a fleece and slippers and do a short walk outside even at 4am as a little blast is sure to follow. :grnyuk:

Ps it probably was all that rich food. Heart is quite rich. I forgot to tell people not to feed their dogs before training. :shock:

She was sick during the night again. :shock:

She spent a good bit of time licking her butt and then threw up on hubby's side of the bed :badgrin: . There appeared to be some grass in it, and right enough she spent a lot of time the other side of the compost bin yesterday morning and I had to lure her away with a doggie cookie. I think I'll bring her to the vet first thing as a precaution. She hasn't needed to go to the toilet since and is in flying form. Hopefully that's the end of it though :xfngr:

Thanks a million Bríd for the offer. I'll see what the vet says :)

Lucky and I hope Tandie feels better and has firm poo really soon!!! :xfngr:

I'll bet it was the rich food too. With Lucky it seems to be all related to what he puts in his mouth. :sl*p:

I just try to keep his nose off the ground when he's outside and watch what treats he's eating. He is doing great on a bland diet and he does not mind at all ... he loves ALL food. :roll:

Given Tandie was sick tonight I'd do as Karlin suggested and feed her the bland diet of chicken and rice (we use chicken baby food with ONLY chicken as the ingredient). Our vet suggested that once Lucky was okay with the chicken and rice and the poo firmed up that we should gradually mix the kibble into the chicken/rice over a few days so there is not a sudden change in diet to create more tummy upsets. That seems to be working for us so far ....

Good luck & hope Tandie is doing great soon and you all have a fabulous holiday!

Cecily, i'll be thinking of you, hoping to hear you have found the holy grail of firm poo, and soon. I can relate to your dilemma about going on your trip. I hope you still get to go. Generally, diarrhea and vomiting are self limited things related to dietary indiscretion, which Tandie has defnitely experienced. I too vote for boiled chicken and white rice, preceded by a fast. good luck! :flwr:

I just spoke to Cecily and looks like Tandie will need an immediate full spay. I am sure she will be on to explain. Cecily was very attentive with this and her concerns were spot-on -- she made the right decision in acting sooner rather than later with a dog who outwardly seemed healthy but just occasionally was showing distress. It's a reminder to me once again that it is always a good idea to call the vet for advice with any concern and take your dog in if you are in any doubt and there's no improvement in even what might seem an innocuous condition. By having this checked so quickly, Cecily and Billy have definitely prevented something potentially far more serious developing. :wggle: Good luck to Tandie for her surgery tomorrrow! :flwr:

Thanks Karlin! We've learned unfortunately through experience that it's always better to safe than sorry. Tandie is currently in great form, scavenging for food and partaking in her favourite pastime - cat hunting. :winkct:

Tandie has pyometra (there's some good information on it in the health library). It is fatal if left untreated. It's basically an infection of the uterus. The hormones released when a female dog comes into season lowers the immune system of the uterus and it can fill up with pus and toxins and other yukky stuff :grnyuk:

The vet is confident Tandie will pull through ok. She's going in tomorrow morning and will be in overnight. He was a little surprised to see the condition in a younger dog, but it's not unheard of. Indeed most unspayed dogs will contract this (another good reason to get them spayed). She doesn't have the most severe type of pyometra, and has no lethargy whatsoever, so that's all very positive. She does have a slightly increased risk because of her heart murmur, but there's really no other option than surgery. The vet says he routinely performs this operation, sometimes on animals as old as 14, so there's every chance she'll fly through it all. :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr: :flwr:

Hi Cecily,
thinking of you here and sending lots of positive healing thoughts to Tandie. It's great that you caught this early. Best of luck for tomorrow...

xx Claire

I'm glad you took her to the vet Cecily!!!

I'll be thinking of her too. Hope she feels better really soon! :flwr:

Good move Cecily--sounds like she's healthy as can be and in experienced hands, and with such good care, will pull through and return to full time scavenging very soon. Thinking of you....

{{{{{{{{Cecily and Tandie}}}}}}}} I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this thread. It's funny but as I was reading through it I was thinking pyometria - simply because I remembered she had been in season when picked up.

If it will allay your fears any Cecily, my GSD had this at 8mths and was extremely poorly. Unfortunately we'd seen a locum Vet at a different surgery as mine was busy operating all day. he misdiagnosed a tummy upset and by the time she got to see our own Vet 2 days later she had started to bleed heavily. She had lost loads of blood but after surgery she bounced back like a rubber ball!

If Tandie is cat chasing she must be feeling OK in herself which is excellent :) If she was lethargic then I would be more worried.

Will be sending her and you positive thoughts for tomorrow. Try not to worry too much, she's in good hands and well done you for taking her to the Vets. Big :hug: 's to the 3 of you xxxxx

Cripes! I didn't see that one coming. I didn't realise pyometra could start so apparently innocently. In that case I'll be getting Chloe spayed around Christmas, even if I have to scrounge the payment from my credit card.

Thinking of you all and Tandie tomorrow, Cecily.

Cecily - what a great mommy you are! So glad you acted on this so quickly. Will be thinking about Tandie and sure she will be fine. Good thing you caught this so early.

Thats what happened with Whitney, she had Pio. :yikes

Luckily she pulled through after being very poorly for a while, spending a week in special care....she had renal failure :( and all that blood poisioning stuff. :yikes

All better and bouncing now....! :jmp2: :jmp2:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Back