• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ye Olde English Dogge

cecily

We're trying to come up with names for our prospective Black & Tan puppy. I know some good suggestions were made already, but Billy has decided he'd like an old English name. I agreed to let him have a say in this one since I picked the last two :lol: Naturally I'll get to veto anything I don't like. ;)

He picked Aggie for our first pup, because he thought an old fashioned name like Agatha was cute on a little pup. For a boy we like:

Wesley
Jeeves
Watson
Geoffrey

Hm. Some of them seem silly when I write them down and will definitely need to be rethought as I don't want to feel silly every time I write about him :lol: You can see why we need suggestions!!

You've picked all surnames, except for Geoffrey. Oh , please, not that.

Joly was called Spencer by his breeder, I called him that, yesterday and he remembered.

All my dogs' names have had to end in an 'ee' sound and it feels bad luck to change from this pattern.

Barbara Nixon said:
You've picked all surnames, except for Geoffrey. Oh , please, not that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: There's no way it'll be Geoffrey, don't worry :lol:
I didn't know wesley was a surname? It's commonly a first name over here

I'm a bit partial to Wesley...my tri's name ;) I saw the sweetest little black and tan named Guiness (for those beer drinkers out there). I've always liked the name Landon for a boy.

All of my boys have the ie sound too, my cats don't though. They were my opportunity to be a bit more creative because I wouldn't be standing on the porch calling for them all the time. :D

A lot of former surnames are now used as first names, following the trend strted in the States. The most famous Wesleys were John and Charles, founders of the Weslian methodist movement in the 18th century.

Likewise Spencer, now used as a first name but the surname of Winston Churchill's mother (Winston Spencer Churchill )

judy said:
Raleigh
Yorick
Webster
Graham
Wellington
Langston
Stuart
Gregory

Are these all first names over there ? Here,all but Yorick (from Shakespeare ?) are surnames, although Graham, Stuart (or Stewart) and gregory can be either.

Barbara Nixon said:
A lot of former surnames are now used as first names, following the trend strted in the States. The most famous Wesleys were John and Charles, founders of the Weslian methodist movement in the 18th century.

Likewise Spencer, now used as a first name but the surname of Winston Churchill's mother (Winston Spencer Churchill )

Also, of course, the surname of the late Princess of Wales.

Incidentally, the first Lady Diana Spencer (who very nearly married the Prince of Wales of her day!) was the favourite granddaughter of Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, the lady supposedly responsible for the 'Blenheim spot.'

Old English names:
Edmund
Oswald (Ozzy?)
Wilfred

Do you mean Old English/ Anglo-Saxon, or Middle English (Chaucer and Co) ?

I don't know if they are old English names or surnames ?........but I like
Oliver
Elliot
Dudley
and my favourite of your picks would be Wesley. Good luck

I have just been through this with my Mum who has a 6 week old Black and tan pup (not in her possession yet of course still with Its mum).
She had Oscar picked for a long while (before it was even born) but when she seen him she decided on Toby ?

I'd say meet the dog and decide.

When I had my second springer, she was called Lucy for a week, but it didn't fit, so she bacame and stayed as Sally.

Monty was immediately monty, as his big ears reminded me of the original Mony , a springer.

Izzy became that after he didn't look like a Dizzy, part of a list of possibles. He isn't a male called Isabel :badgrin: but is named after Brunel.

Joly I liked, after Jolyon in the Forsyte Saga and it fitted better than Spencer, which din't end in'ee'

Teddy had to have an 'ee' name which was unlike any of the others and preferably after someone dignified, but I had no ideas, even after I'd chosen him.....but, on looking at some photos, when I got home, he looked at me and 'said' Teddy. oddly, just then, someone else who saw the photo emailed me and told me he should be Teddy.

Wesley is still firmly at the top of Billy's list, but I love some of the suggestions!! Especially Oswald (or Oz for short).

Lisa, am not the best historian and have no clue as to the difference between middle english and old english :lol:

You got me thinking about english literature though and I've come up with a few more ideas...

Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights is my all time favourite novel, but Billy doesn't like it because of Heathcliff the cat :roll: )
Darcy
Dickens
Blake (after William Blake)
Macbeth :badgrin:
Beowulf

All I can think of under pressure! :D

A tri I booked was to be Darcy, but a litter brother got renamed that, so i chose toby, but didn't have him because the breeder asked me to let someone else have him, because there only dog, Izzy's brother, had died suddenly and she wouldn't be breeding again for some time.

Cecily, could you really imagine yourself calling some of those names across the park ?

A funny story about a dog's name (from a magazine)

A man had a GSD , who often got out and was slow at coming home, so the owner constantly called his name. However, he just couldn't understand why his neighbours fell about laughing. After all, not getting your dog back is a serious matter.

Then a friend pointed out the reason for the hilarity : The dog was called Wolf

--Wolf! Wolf! Wolf !-just imagine .

Another silly story about my dog's name ; Izzy

One day, I took a phonecall from someone my son knew. As he'd spoken to me before, he began with, ''Hello. This is Izzy. Can you tell Paul...''

By now I was in hysterics, because, I was sitting on the stairs, to take the call, and Izzy dog had joined me and was looking directly at me.

I explained the situation to the hunman Izzy when he called round later. He was amused to know he shared his name with a dog and did tell me what Izzy was short for, but i've forgotten. It was a quite unusual Pakistani name.

Then there was a work colleague, who named her hamster Mavis, after a snooty friend of her mum's.

One day the lady called at Carol's house, as her mum, who lived nearby was out, so was invited in to await her return. Carol was in the kitchen and her husband in the livingroom with visitor, drinking tea, and hamster.

Gary said that the visitor's face was a picture, when Carol, without thinking called, ''Gary. have you given Mavis a carrot ?''

They explained the misunderstanding, but were glad that, the human Mavis hadn't queried their choice of pet name.

Barbara Nixon said:
Cecily, could you really imagine yourself calling some of those names across the park ?

Course not Barbara, some of them we're just having fun with ;)
We may well not decide until we meet him, we might decide on wesley and stick with it, who knows? But I think one of the most fun aspects of getting a puppy is thinking up silly names and having a bit of a list to choose off. 8)

Barbara Nixon said:
judy said:
Raleigh
Yorick
Webster
Graham
Wellington
Langston
Stuart
Gregory

Are these all first names over there ? Here,all but Yorick (from Shakespeare ?) are surnames, although Graham, Stuart (or Stewart) and gregory can be either.

Yes, I've known people named Stuart or Stewert (it varies) all my life. Thre was once a movie star named Stewart Granger). In elementary school there was a kid named Stuart who was called Stu for short. There was a TV star called Stu Irwin, comedian. I hear Graham a lot, Graham greene is a famous fiction author. Graham Nash is the well loved member of the immortal rock group, Crosby Stills and Nash. Langston Hughes was a famous poet, though Langston was his middle name--he was known as Langston. Gregory is of course very common, Gregory Peck the actor. When i was a kid there was a cartoon show called Webster Webfoot, Webster Webfoof, the Webfoot Duck. I didn't realize these weren't similary used as first names in the UK.

I knew some one once who had a small yorkie type dog named Winston.

We had a famous jurist named Thurgood Marshall. Marshall is a rather common first name too.

I had considered the name Jackson, after the singer songwriter Jackson Browne, while i was looking for a dog. Zack was not the name i would've chosen but when i met him, he was called Zack and i got used to calling him that in my mind, and stuck with it. His proper name is Zachary. Thats sometimes a surname too.[/i]

My next little boy will be called Oliver, I think it's a really sweet name and of course it suits a Cavalier as they always want more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back