PDA

View Full Version : night time toileting

SILVERDOLLY 2004
1st November 2006, 10:37 PM
I've been reading all the helpful posts about "potty training" and have a question . Our pup will be 15 weeks old when we get him in December and we want him to sleep in the kitchen. Do I need to get up in the night to take him outside? We are not sure about whether to have a crate bed for him or an ordinary dog bed. Can anyone help, please. Maggie

Lisa_T
1st November 2006, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't have thought getting up in the night would be necessary at four months pretty much. My pup is 14 weeks on Sunday, and I haven't had to get up specially for a week or two. Then again, I normally stick her out a final time before I go to bed, and again when I first wake up. Even so, she's still often going seven hours. Controlling food and water intake helps too.

Karlin
2nd November 2006, 12:37 AM
If you get a regular bed, then also get an X-pen (like a small playpen) to confine him down at night and put his bed in there. If you have a crate you can also use an Xpen and will likely find one very useful generally. The crate with door open or closed can go inside the Xpen to prodvide a doghouse for the pup.

SILVERDOLLY 2004
2nd November 2006, 08:02 PM
Thank you for your replies. There is always so much helpful stuff on this site. I will definitely confine the pup to a small area of the kitchen. It's a relief to hear that we may not need to get up in the night at the coldest time of the year!

Cathy Moon
3rd November 2006, 12:02 AM
If you get a 30 inch or higher x-pen, it's less likely your cavvie will try to jump out! My adult cavs cannot jump the 30 inch one. :thmbsup:

Our first x-pen was only 24 inches, and India jumped out at 13 weeks! :shock:

You also need to watch that they don't climb up on the crate and try to climb out! :lol: