• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Show me some shedding pics!

SHANO

I want to see what my house is in for. :) Do you end up with fur-balls everywhere?

:v*cuum: I vacuum the carpeting 1-2 times a week with my Dyson Animal vac, depending on how much they're shedding. Then I use the Swiffer vacuum on the hard floors more often, but the swiffer vac is so lightweight and easy to use it's no problem at all. :D I just keep its battery charging whenever I'm not using it.

We have the sticky tape rollers to get the dog hair off our clothing. I keep one in my car and one at work, too.

I hoover every day!! But it's worth it. They are a lap dog and want to be beside their human friend.

brid kenny said:
I hoover every day!! But it's worth it. They are a lap dog and want to be beside their human friend.

Yep, me too. Sometimes twice a day. I have wooden floors throughout the house with a carpet on the stairs and landing. I do still get fur balls under the furniture but not very often. I can send you a pic of the inside of the vacuum if you want :lol:

Of course, we have two Saints... so Cavalier hair is insignificant... but I couldn't resist posting about three days worth of summer hair. And this isn't the brushing hair... it's what falls off later. You don't wanna see the brushing hair. :shock: Good thing is (I guess!) that it tends to 'clump' together in the same corners and under the same tables, so we can grab a handful if we need to between vacuumings. It's marginally better in the winter, but we don't get much of that here. :lol:

hair1.jpg

KC

I vac once a week and it is definitely necessary by then. I have all hardwood floors and I always know when it is time to vacuum b/c there are little rogue hair tumbleweeds in the corners! :lol:

I vacuum every single day, not just for the dogs but also the kids.

We have carpet in our living room but no carpet on the stairs, just hardwood. It is all hardwood upstairs and Laminate in the basement I only vacumm those areas once a week as the dogs are only upstairs to sleep.

Luckly Cavalier shedding is nothing compared to other dogs! The good news is that a daily or every-other-day brushing/combing will help pull out alot of dead hair and keep it off the furniture.

I recently got a Furminator grooming tool and Chester's shedding is cut waaaay down. I would easily say he sheds 80% less than before. Here's the thread where I posted pics of all the dead hair I removed: http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3504

Don't worry...you'll be fine and your house will stay clean as long as you are pro-active.

Nice picture KC ;) I have to giggle about it clumping....I regularly will grab that little clump that gathers under the kitchen table before hubby sees it and reminds me that I need to vacuum.

Regular brushing really does help keep down the shedding. If you take it off...it's not there to fall off. But even then we still have a good bit of shedding.

Wow ... I'll have to get Lucky (I mean "me"!!!) a furminator for Christmas ...

Shano, I don't think you'll have to worry about too much shedding right off. Lucky shed a bit the first day I got him, but I think that was because he was nervous, it was a big travel day etc. I've not noticed any shedding recently, but he's just a puppy right now ... he's growing hair, not losing it (yet!). Right now, other than his ears, Lucky's hair is barely long enough to even brush.

I'm curious how old the dogs are when the shedding starts to become a noticable issue? :v*cuum:

Jean's picture is about what I vaccum up every three days. Wrigley sheds buckets in the summer. Mia sheds some, but not as much as the Wrig-Man!

Thanks heavens for my Dyson Animal--I'm constantly amazed at what it picks up. Makes me want to sneeze just looking at it all! :lol:

GudrunTheRed said:
Luckly Cavalier shedding is nothing compared to other dogs! The good news is that a daily or every-other-day brushing/combing will help pull out alot of dead hair and keep it off the furniture.

I recently got a Furminator grooming tool and Chester's shedding is cut waaaay down. I would easily say he sheds 80% less than before. Here's the thread where I posted pics of all the dead hair I removed: http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3504

Don't worry...you'll be fine and your house will stay clean as long as you are pro-active.

That is absolutely hilarious! I love his face! But I'm DEFINITELY going to pick one of those up! Of course, I'll never let Chris see all the hair or he'll flip. Too funny! Thanks!

Shano, I don't think you'll have to worry about too much shedding right off. Lucky shed a bit the first day I got him, but I think that was because he was nervous, it was a big travel day etc. I've not noticed any shedding recently, but he's just a puppy right now ... he's growing hair, not losing it (yet!). Right now, other than his ears, Lucky's hair is barely long enough to even brush.

I'm curious how old the dogs are when the shedding starts to become a noticable issue?

Lani, Coco actually shed her puppy coat soon after we brought her home! :shock: She began to shed when she was 9.5 to 10 weeks old. I thought I had a year without worrying about shedding! From what I've heard, shedding seems to vary for each puppy.

I also bought the Furminator after reading about it in that thread! ;) It was quite helpful, but I am sure it will be even more useful as Coco's coat grows in. Daily brushing and combing is also very helpful.

While she was shedding, I vacuumed everyday. I still do. :v*cuum: And I also use the sticky tape rollers as Cathy Moon described.

I have three that really don't shed all that much -- the cats shed far more. Not sure why. The two boys have very slow growing coats and never had a big shed of puppy coats. Lily is the hairy one around here. :)

Try shed defense pills to help with shedding. They are chewable treats you give everyday and they really do work. I used to have to vaccum all the time and now about once a week will do!

You can find them at most pet stores. Takes about a month or so to start seeing results. They are WONDERFUL!!!!!! I highly recommend them! :)

As a pup, the shedding wont start until the puppy coat is blown when the adult coat starts to come in. This doesnt happen for many months (some even up to and over a year!), which gives you plenty of time to fall in love (Chris too) so a bit of fur on the floor or the sofa is insignificant. That's nature's way of the survival of the domestic canine! :p

Back