• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you let your Cav on the furniture?

SHANO

My husband is super crazy about pet hair, etc. I'm sure he's going to want to keep the puppy off the furniture. But I don't know how I'm going to resist snuggling up on the couch with him. How many of you keep your pups off the furniture? I'm thinking of getting him his own little couch or something. I don't want him to feel left out because he can't get off the floor. :(

lol-- the no furniture rule lasted two DAYS. I sat on the floor with the puppy and hubby was upset. I said it was a lap dog-- I sat with my lap near the pup giggle. Then the pup slept on the bed and then we got two (one was our daughters) then.... I vacuum three times a week. Hair on clothes is something DH still doesn't like. Oh well...

Ditto Sandy!!

These dogs have to be near their people, and they are small enough that the people would have to be on the floor to be near them. Cavaliers believe they should sit on throwns, but they will make do with your armchair, your couch, and your bed!!

We even have stairs so the dogs can get on and off the bed unassisted.

Izzy and Abby have full access to our furniture.

Due to their digging when they're wet we did get denim-fabric couch covers and it works beautifully.

Oh please let him be near you! You will be missing out on so much. Cavaliers love to cuddle up with their owners, and it will probably be extremely hard to keep Bosley on the floor. Maybe your hubby will compromise???

I do let mine, all three, on the couch to sit and cuddle with me...they have a blanket which I put on the furniture first before they jump up...a good shake outside gets rid of the pet hair...

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

:lol: We were planning to let them up on one love seat only :lol: That lasted about 1/2 day, then we realized how silly we were being! :roll:

We bought leather furniture so the dogs could sit or lie there whenever they wanted :lol:

He's worse than me, he was the one who brought Maxx up to our bed when he was a puppy as he was 'all alone downstairs :( ' - soppy thing he is, wouldn't have him any other way :lol:

The only mistake I made was buying white bedding when we redecorated our bedroom :roll: I did buy a nice lilac throw to go on the bed and stop the muddy paw prints but Charlie trashed it within a few days of his arrival :roll:

Now I just put up with the paw prints and change my bed twice a week. I vacuum every day to keep the hairs down so it really doesn't bother me,

Shano - What a handsome Cavvy in your Avatar! (Duke)

BTW, our cavvies do let us on the couch most of the time. ;)

Bosley's daddy is absolutely beautiful!!

Absolutely, all our dogs are up on the furniture. Why wouldn't they be, they're our "kids" :lol: I can't imagine not having a bunch of dogs sitting next to me when I'm sitting on the couch. The only thing we have trained them to do is stay on the floor if we have a plate of food in our lap, as we sometimes eat dinner in front of the TV and watch the news. That was the toughest training we ever had to do and they are really pretty good at it.

If you have fabric furniture and hair becomes a problem, you could buy leather, so much easier to clean up.

BTW, Doggydad really has it right!!

Mine go wherever and whenever they want - I have throws over the sofa as its suede but thats all. Everything else can be washed! ;)

Yes mine too! They love to cuddle up and are real lapdogs. I hoover everyday and change the bedding more often than before but they are worth it.

If you are ever having a bad day and you just sit down on the sofa and a little furry baby (or two) just jumps up,looks at you with those big brown eyes ,licks your face,sighs and cuddles in to you ,it can turn your whole mood around!

Do you mean, does my cav let me on the furniture ??
If I'm lucky I get a spot but it has to be between Harry and Digby and I have to sit on the crack in between the two seats and on a wooden beam Ouch !
Needless to say I have just ordered a new 3 seater lounge. The boys have me trained well. :lol:

My cavs are let anywhere they please. I keep a HUGE blanket on the couch (unless I have company) just to keep the fur shed to a minimum and they also insist on eating their treats/raw hides/kongs/etc. anywhere but the floor and that keep their slobber off the fabric. I was very hesitant when I bought my couches because they are a micro-fiber material, but it has been almost a year and it has held up like a champ! :flwr:

I have a light tan microfiber fabric sofa which is very easy to clean, but I also keep a beige cotton blanket on it that is the same color so it looks nice and is easy to wash.

I love how all the furniture companies have all these wonderful new microfiber fabrics that resist stains and clean up sooo easy in case you do spill something. I also made sure that when I bought my sofa 2 years ago from Bassett Furniture I paid a little extra to get the Guardian Furniture Protection Plan which covers the entire sofa including the fabric AND the frame. If I spill anything on it they will come out and clean it for me, and if they can't get it out they'll replace the sofa! So in this case, the extra $75 was worth every penny!

luvzcavs said:
Do you mean, does my cav let me on the furniture ??
If I'm lucky I get a spot but it has to be between Harry and Digby and I have to sit on the crack in between the two seats and on a wooden beam Ouch !
Needless to say I have just ordered a new 3 seater lounge. The boys have me trained well. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We lasted with the "no dogs on the furniture" rule for all of about 1/2 hour! :roll: I was concerned about how my husband would feel about the dog hair (major pet peeve with him) and it's amazing how well he adapted. I have lint rollers in each room and a big one to use on the bed. I also vacuum every other day. A necessity with two hairy monsters. I also was very picky about dog hair. Now I don't think the coffee tastes right without a piece of dog hair floating on the top for garnishment! :D

:rotfl: I love all the comments!! We allow Riley onto the couch with us only if one of us invites him (we are trying to make sure that he keeps his manners when we visit other people's homes, so we get invited back ;) ) That said, he is invited and spends almost every evening with us on the couch cuddling him. :) He is not allowed on the bed (i know, what a cruel household we are right? icon_devil ) but he does sleep in our bedroom in his soft crate. As far as dog hair, well i have to salute all of you, we don't clean nearly as much. We live with dog hair and don't really mind until it gets really bad. Neither of us enjoys housecleaning at all (we both HATE it actually) and i guess we have kind of a high tolerance for what's "dirty". icon_whistling
But we do vacuum and sweep and use sticky rollers to remove unwanted dog hair from furniture and clothing. So maybe we are normal after all? :D

Keeping the dogs off the furniture - all I have to say is .. HAHAHA.. yea right!!! I think I would crush his little heart if I kicked him off the furniture. Kosmo's new favorite sleeping place is on the arm of the sofa looking out the window. :roll:

For pet hair, we just got a central vac.. :w**h**: It works SOOO well!! I use it on the couch, bed, window sills, EVERYTHING and I am starting to threaten to use it on the hairy little man.. icon_whistling icon_whistling Apparently they do make dog attachments now! icon_devil

Wrigley and Mia don't care for the couch. I never sit on it because I have an overstuffed/sized chair and ottoman that I regularly use. They get up on the ottoman and in the chair if I'm not in it. I keep the chair/ottoman covered with two throws and we're all happy!

Bruce--how did you train your kids to stay on the floor when you're eating. Wrigley just sits and stares at me while I'm eating, but Mia is practically sitting on the plate. :lol: What's your secret??

Back