• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What size Puppia for an 8 week old pup?

SHANO

I want to get all of the puppy's stuff ordered and all of you seem to worship this harness. Should I get him an XS to start with?

Thanks!

In my non-expert opinion, I would get a small. That way he will have a little room to grow. My 10 month old already need a medium...just to give you an idea of how quickly they grow! :dgwlk:

I'd get a sense of how big he is now & how big he'll be when he arrives. Probably a small is fine for 8 weeks unless he's very small now. Lucky had a small at 11 weeks.

That said, Cavalier size can vary greatly - there are full grown dogs on this board who are smaller than Lucky is at 4 months, so I'd check with the breeder. Your breeder might even know about Puppia harnesses.

Lucky is already a medium at 4 months. He's 12 lbs now and the small harness no longer fit over his floppy ears.

We got Duncan a medium and tried it on a 9.5 lb Arthur...it's big on the smallest setting but we are tolerating it in an attempt to save some cash.

That said, a S would probably get you through much of the 1st year unless Bosley is really tiny.

I jumped the gun and got Chloe a small. When she first tried it on it seemed to just fit over her head- nearly four weeks later it still fits fine and if anything is a little easier to get on and off! Maybe their head shape changes too when growing, and I think she has become more narrow. I'm hoping that the small will do her to six months at least, if not beyond- and when she takes a medium I'll buy one that looks good on both dogs so that she can share with Holly (who does take medium- but possibly because she has a small head as well as a small frame).

Unless you've seen your puppy in advance and you know he's going to be big, get him a small. He'd grow out of the XS very quickly, and I'm not sure you'd be wanting to put a tiny un vacc'd puppy on a harness as a regular thing to begin with?

Coco is 18.5 weeks and a little over 7.8 pounds. She has been wearing a small size puppia since she was 9-10 weeks old and a little over 5.5 pounds. She is still wearing a small and has plenty of room left in the neck and chest!
:dogwlk:
As you can see, the size really varies with each puppy! You may want to wait until a week before you bring Bosley home to order his puppia. Ask the breeder for his measurements just to be sure.

Good luck! :flwr:

You can get some in the large pet store in the Blanchardstown centre. They haven't a great selection, but we did get a nice pink stripey one for Tandie there.
At the cavalier training day last week Dog Training Ireland had a VERY good selection available, and are currently working on an online shop, so I guess you could keep an eye on their website? http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/home.php

Haven't seen them elsewhere!

Back