• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tandie's home!

cecily

We picked her up this morning, after she'd charmed her way around the vets office. :jump: :w**h**: :lotsaluv:

She is in good form and is moving around no problem. She does seem a little uncomfortable and finds it hard to settle when she's lying down. Poor thing has some angry looking stitches down her belly, but otherwise she is well.

We were lucky to get her seen to so quickly. The uterus was swollen to 2 or 3 times its normal size, but the vet nurse said this is nowhere near as bad as others she has seen with the same condition. Another week and she would have been a very sick little doggy and might not have made it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stitches come out in 10 days and vet says she should be almost completely mended by then :D

Any tips for convalescent dogs and keeping them from jumping on / off furniture?

That's great Cecily. I'm delighted she's okay. Don't leave her anywhere that she can jump up on furniture unsupervised. When Daisy Boo was sick we used to have a lead on her when she was sitting on the couch with us to prevent her jumping off.

Good luck :flwr:

:flwr: Welcome home Tandie :mexwav:
I know this may sound silly Cecily but if you could borrow a childs playpen for Tandie then you would have easy access to her and she would have lots of room to move around without feeling all caged up , if you know what I mean. Otherwise you really have to watch her all the time cause, sure as hell, the minute you turn your back for a second , she will try to jump up somewhere (it's only natural) and could end up bursting her stitches...

:lotsaluv:
Claire

So glad that sweet girl is home and on the mend. Boy am I glad you acted so quickly.

You could keep her on your lap all of the time to keep her from jumping :D ...just kidding. After Shelby's knee surgery we set up an x-pen in the family room for her with a bed and some toys. If she was on the couch with us, as Joanna did, we had her on leash and held the leash taut so she couldn't jump down...like when the door bell rang icon_whistling

Cecily, I'm soo happy for you that she's home!!!!

I hope she's back to her old self again soon and keeping Flea on the top of the curtain rod. :D

:dogwlk:

Tandie is home!! :jmp: Sounds like you got her in the vets just in time. Good news. Now you can pamper her! :luv: Keep your eye on her to stop her from jumping up on things, they never seem to want to recuperate for as long as is recommended. Such is life with a doggie. :D

So glad Tandie is feeling better and on the mend!! Good luck keeping her from jumping--I had a hard time with Mia. She was back to normal the very next day and was streaking around like lightening. Luckily, she didn't do any damage to her stitches. The best thing I did was get a soft e-collar to keep on her during the day. Her stitches really healed quickly after I started using it. I think she was licking them a lot when I wasn't around. I also put some antibiotic cream on her stitches each morning to prevent any infection.

Glad your little girl is home and healthy!! :jump:

glad she's doing so well.
from nicki i learned about the homeopathic rememdies, bellis perenns and staphysaria to use with healing for neutering. Staphysagria says it's for surgical wound healing, on the bottle. Bellis per. is for bruising and muscle soreness. I've always had good results with wounds with Arnica montana, my regular doctor told me all the beverly hills plastic surgeons are recommneding it for their surgery patients.
thanks for all the updates, and the good news. :flwr:

judy said:
from nicki i learned about the homeopathic rememdies, bellis perenns and staphysaria to use with healing for neutering. Staphysagria says it's for surgical wound healing, on the bottle. Bellis per. is for bruising and muscle soreness. I've always had good results with wounds with Arnica montana, my regular doctor told me all the beverly hills plastic surgeons are recommneding it for their surgery patients.

Thanks for the advice everyone! The leashing on the sofa is a great idea, and we're going to crate her in our room tonight.

Where are these homeopathic remedies available Judy? Did you get them in the vets or online, or in a pet store?

Yayy Tandie! :flwr: The x-pen is a great place for pups to do their recuperation! You can move it to any room and they don't feel 'closed away' from everybody.

We had to use one for 9 weeks following India's knee surgery.

Cecily,

So glad Tandie's surgery went well and she is now on the road to recovery. Good idea to keep her confined..... perhaps Lisa T can lend you her pen - I'm sure Lisa mentioned in one of her posts that she wasn't using the pen she bought but I could be wrong..

Must admit, I have not used the pen in the way I imagined I would. I only use it at night to give Oakley a play & poop area in bettwen the crate at one side of the bedroom and the other bed he has at the other end ! ;)

Lisa and Tara have some of the calming homeopathic remedies available from their centre; some pet shops sell them too. Some people see results, some people don't.

She should be up and around pretty quickly though. Mine were all jumping on to sofas without any real problems after spay/neuter -- it's more that you don;t want her out on major walks and so on. Try just putting a stool or steps by the sofa or bed where you are and she can use those to go up and down or lift her on and off. Within a couple of days her tummy won;t be bothering her much anyway. :)

Cecily,

I'm so pleased Tandie is home safe with you again :) The homoeopathic remedies should be available from Boots if you have one near you.

Some of them now come in 'clixpax' which are wonderful as you can just click them straight into their/your mouth.

Arnica is wonderful and we use it for any bumps, bruises or surgery in this house.

I used homoeopathy to get over my hysterectomy and within 3 weeks I was almost back to normal - they told me it would take 6 months :roll:

A playpen or X-pen is a really good idea too but if not then I hope you have eyes in the back of your head :D

Gentle :hug: 's for Tandie xxxxxxx

That's great! We have a Boots in town :)
Wish I'd known about it when my mum had one... it took her much longer than 3 weeks ;)

She's been completely zonked all day and not too interested in her food, but I take it that's pretty normal? The vet said to expect it.
We're going to get Rio's xpen out of the shed and also crate her tonight. She has hardly been more than a foot away from me since I brought her home though. :hug:

Shows how well she's settled in then doesn't it? She obviously adores her new Mamma, and quite rightly so :D

So sorry to hear about this Cecily...glad that Tandie is home and safe, I'm sure she will be feeling much better.

Delighted to hear you have Tandie back with you! You're certainly welcome to the pen if you can figure out a way of getting it. It's true it's not usually used as a pen- although I did today, for a while- but it does a good job as a stair gate :yikes :yikes :yikes

So glad you caught this in time, Cecily.

Back