• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hydrotherapy pool

ellie and charlie

taking my dog to hydro pool next week for fun swim as any one been.thought it be some thing different for him.
went to a show at my pet stop at leeds and noticed pool then,they have a window to reception were you can see dogs in their,they all looked like they loved it.
also thinking of booking ellie in my cavi thats just had patella op and waiting for other knee done.when all ops are done to speed recovery,but this wouldnt be fun swim it would be medical booking.

We did hydrotherapy with Shelby after her 2nd patella surgery. I really credit it with a lot of the reason we had a successful re-do on the surgery. She was able to strengthen her leg without putting stress on the joint. She was also losing muscle mass in her hindquarters after so much time on restricted activity. And Shelby loved it!

Like Shelby, Spencer also did hydrotherapy and loved it. We did it for about nine weeks and had 14 sessions on the treadmill. We also did physical rehab in the gym twice a week after the treadmill. I agree with Cathy and think that both treatments helped Spencer have a much speedier recovery. He was released to normal activity about nine weeks after surgery and we finished all our rehab at 12 1/2 weeks.

Spencer in the "pool".
P8190216.jpg

Spencer on the land treadmill. He wasn't as big a fan of this as he was the underwater treadmill.
IMG_0227.jpg

Spencer has the cutest dang face!! I love that last picture. We also did floor exercises with Shelby after her water sessions.

Our vet had us walk India for increasingly longer walks over a 3 week period for rehab after patella surgery. But we just walked in the neighborhood, not on a treadmill.

Cathy, that's what we did after Shelby's first surgery. We did increasing walks for the 8 week period. Since the first surgery didn't hold we decided to go further and go the water therapy. Normally it's not necessary.

She was initially unsure about it but quickly warmed up to it. Shelby's a pretty quiet gal...unless Jake gets her going...but she would make all kinds of raquet when we arrived at the therapy center, pulling me to get in there. And she would just trot right into the empty tub waiting for the water to start. Here are a couple of pics:

Waiting for the water to start rising
HPIM0786.jpg

Here is comes
HPIM0787.jpg

Doing her exercise
HPIM0794-1.jpg

Ohh she's soooo adorable! And so is Spencer! What good sports, too! :lotsaluv:

I'll bet Ellie and Charlie will love it! :D

Does she have to wait 8-9 weeks after surgery to do the hydrotherapy?

That's how long India had to stay in the x-pen and only go in the back yard on a lead. She was allowed to walk around on the grass on a lead with no running, and absolutely no jumping on furniture or stairs and no playing.

Then she had 3 weeks of walking on pavement before she could have a normal life - on the furniture, stairs, off-lead, playing again, etc.

We started the water therapy about a week or so after the surgery. If I recall correctly, we waited until the stitches came out and then started.

Spencer started the hydro and regular therapies a few days after his stiches came out, which was two weeks after surgery. I know every surgeon differs in how much "quiet" time dogs need after MPL surgery. I'm very glad we did the therapy. And I'm so proud of my little man for doing such a good job with it. :D

Some surgeons put on a cast, too. India didn't have a cast or any bandaging. She started touching her foot down from day one - we could see her footprint in the snow! I was so surprised.

Spence's was only wrapped the night after the surgery and they doctor took it off before we picked him up the next day.

In the hospital the night after his surgery
P7270144.jpg

Relaxing in his crate three days after surgery. I know it was better for him but I would have much preferred having his leg wrapped. I was terrified I'd hurt him whenever I touched him.
P7290153.jpg

Poor little boy! I just wanna kiss him on his little white strip on his forehead and tell him he'll be fine!

cause cant take dogs to hydro pool but them in my spa bath last night with hydro jets on they loved it wish id took a picture now.think kids think iv cracked up :?

Back