• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please Help - Diarrhea AGAIN!!!

KingstonsMom

I'm so frustrated! Kingston has diarrhea once again. I just had him to the vet a week ago! I know he must be eating something he's not supposed to, but I can't figure out what it is. I don't want to take him to the vet again because (a) I can't afford it, and (b) they'll just pump antibiotics into him for the third time.

Does anyone have suggestions??? Is there an over-the-counter medication I can buy? Petco sells liquid Pectillin. Maybe that would work? Where can I buy digestive enzymes? I'm at my wit's end!!!!

Sally used to be the same, tried ever thing the vet said but still it would keep coming back, even his suggestion of Royal C sensitive and thats not cheap. Someone told me to try Bakers complete and to this day Sally touch wood has been fine, apart from if she gets a hold of the cats food.

Try getting some arrow root biscuits - when Merlin was a pup he suffered a bit - I also gave him 2.5 ml of Milk of Magnesia to settle his tum. Since he went on to big boy food ( Bakers Complete chicken) he has been fine.

I know Bakers is not supposed to be very good but why change when he does fine on it, he is v. healthy, his coat is v. shiny and he enjoys it - which is amazing considering as a pup he was really fussy :D

As a side point I have just moved him onto Bakers Complete Sensitive because it has less harsh colourings, no wheat or gluten, no soy or dairy products. He seems to have more formed poo now and there does seem a little less of it - probably because there isn't as much cereal in it as the normal stuff. ;)

This is probably going to sound quite daft but if you have grass then check it for toadstools! Maxx loves to eat them and has obviously told Charlie how nice they taste. It gave them both diarrhoea :roll:

Don't worry I don't let them eat toadstools and I pull them out every morning but sometimes they will still find the odd stray one and make a banquet out of it :yuk:

Yes, please check in the garden, we have toadstools at the back of the garden, as Ozzy eats grass he must of eaten some so every couple of days I have to remove them... he had the runs every so often - he then goes on the royal cannin sensitive and he clears straight up.

sallymum said:
Sally used to be the same, tried ever thing the vet said but still it would keep coming back, even his suggestion of Royal C sensitive and thats not cheap. Someone told me to try Bakers complete and to this day Sally touch wood has been fine, apart from if she gets a hold of the cats food.

Several people on Dogpages reported tummy upsets after feeding Bakers complete.

Maxx had recurring colitis on Bakers, he also gained loads of weight. Most of it was ending up in the bin as well as he'd only eat the bits he wanted :roll:

I've been going through this with Mia, too. She was doing so well on NB Potato/Duck and NV raw medallions. Then I gave her monthly Heartguard and she got sick/diarrhea. Then I went on a two week vacation leaving her with a trusted friend and she got a little better, but still mushy poo. Now, I've put her on Science Diet ID (prescription food) temporarily to get her little system straightened out and she'd doing very well. I added a little NV raw to the ID this morning to see how she does and so far, so good. I took her off the NB Potato/Duck a couple of days ago to see if that helped and she's been better since. It's a mystery why they all the sudden have reactions to food they've been on for weeks/months. :roll:

I've also been giving her children's Immodium and that seems to have helped some too.

I feel your pain--the ID has really helped, though.

My boys are fine on Bakers - I see that a few of you had bad reactions to it... Do you think I should stick to it as they have been been doing well on it??? I'm now getting paranoid!

I used to feed Holly on Bakers, but then I realised that she was picking bits out. Then again, she picked bits out of ped chum too- which was one of the reasons why I started controlling her food very carefully and stopping free feeding. Ever since she's been great. If Merlin and Oakley are happy, why bother them, but if you want a better quality food for pretty much the same price, I'm a huge fan of petsathome Wainwright's. There's info about it on their website- seems very similar to JWB in ingredients, formulation and ethos- but nearly half the price. Holly really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't have a garden (or yard, as we say in the U.S.); I live in an apartment and I always take Kingston out to potty on a leash.

To make a long story short, my boyfriend accidentally gave Kingston a different dog food yesterday morning. Kingston ate about half his bowl before I got home and threw the rest away. I've been mixing Eukanuba Puppy w/ Canidae Rice & Chicken (to eventually feed only Canidae). My bf accidentally gave him Canidae All Life Stages. Could just that half a bowl have caused such an upset tummy???

It's nice when men try to help out, but poor things always seem to screw something up! :lol:

I bought some liquid Pet Pectillin. Has anyone used this? Also, can you recommend a good digestive enzyme that I can add to Kingston's food on a regular basis????

KingstonsMom said:
Could just that half a bowl have caused such an upset tummy???

It's nice when men try to help out, but poor things always seem to screw something up! :lol:

I bought some liquid Pet Pectillin. Has anyone used this? Also, can you recommend a good digestive enzyme that I can add to Kingston's food on a regular basis????

Yep, it could :( Any sudden change in diet can cause a tummy upset - especially in dogs that already have sensitive tummies anyway.

What is in Petcillin?

I have to be honest, my hubby is pretty good with feeding the boys. I was late home from a medical appt the other week and he had fed them for me. he wasn't sure how much to give them but had given Charlie the right amount and Maxx had just a little bit more than he should have. It was no problem at all really and hubby had even given Maxx his medication :D

My kids on the other hand would let them starve until I got in unless I left specific instructions to feed them :roll:

What is in Petcillin?

The primary ingredients are kaolin and pectin. Apparently, this product is supposed to be very similar to human kaopectate. Here's what the manufacturer website states:

Pet Pectillin® Diarrhea Medication is useful as an aid in the treatment of diarrhea in pets. It contains pectin and Kaolin. Pectin provides a protective coating to irritated gastro-intestinal membranes. It is also a detoxifying agent against the bacterial toxins, which cause inflammation of the gastrointestinal membranes and diarrhea. Kaolin, an absorbent, increases the bulk and slows down the passage of feces while promoting excretion of toxins within the gastro-intestinal tract. Improvement should be noticeable in 2 to 3 days.

I use the pet pectillin with Cody and it worked great. It was really the only thing that helped him because he is a puppy vacuum cleaner in the back yard. If I took the little bugger to the vet every time he ingested something that made him have the runs, I could have bought myself a new car by now. If I thought it was serious, then I would take him in, but for now he keeps finding kitty nuggets and other gross things no creature should ever put in their mouths. I bought the product after about a week of runny stools (no blood or mucus) and this was the only thing that got him to sleep through the night without having to go out. I gave it to him for two days and it cleared it all up. Now I just watch him really closely. If you have a cat and he has access to the littler box...this could be the issue. :yuk:

I also use id if either of mine gets an off tummy. Two meals of ID and they are back on track. I'll bet the food is what set his tummy off. In fact...I'd bet on it.

Interesting on the pectillin. Never heard of it. Sounds good though.

This might be a stupid question, but what is ID?

And thanks moniechris and Cathy T for the feedback on the Pectillin!!!

ID is Hill's Science Diet ID formula. It's for intestinal disorders. And it's only available at the vet's office.

I/D is supposed to be very mild and easily digestable ("low residue"). There are several different versions of Hills prescription food for various special health conditions. My cat used to be on Hills W/D. The vet prescribed it after she had had a UTI. Zack was prescribed I/D when he had colitis. He didn't eat it though. He ate it one day and after that, he walked away from it. This was after i had bought several cans and a huge bag of kibble. :sl*p: The kibble only came in a huge bag. It took up space i couldn't afford in my kitchen and eventually got thrown away.

I don't know if others have this experience, but when i started giving him Innova Evo, his poo got quite hard, not dry but solid, not squishy. I would say that to call it firm would be an understatement. It kind of freaked me out. But i've come to appreciate it.

Back