• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Close Call - Tips for walking 2 dogs together safely?

Lani

I wasn’t even sure if I should post because I feel so stupid but we had a REAL scare this weekend. I’m happy to report that Lucky is okay, BUT …

My sister was walking Lucky and her dog and she dropped Lucky’s leash and he got loose and ran into the street. He seriously was inches from getting hit by a car. The car had to brake to a screeching halt and my sister screamed at the top of her lungs. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Obviously we’re so grateful Lucky is okay and at the same time traumatized and playing it back trying to figure out how to absolutely positively prevent something like this in the future.

One thing that I know, that I suspected before and should have addressed – my sister likes to walk the dogs on their flexi-leashes. We have the kind that are all webbing, so they are secure enough in that respect, except the handle is hard to grasp and easy to drop. You can’t loop it around your wrist to securely hold it, and the plastic handle is heavy, and loud when it drops. I’m sure that is what scared Lucky and why he ran. And then when he was running he probably kept hearing it (because it was attached to him!) and then kept running because he was trying to escape that scary sound.

So no more flexi-leashes on the bathroom walks. We’re 100% agreed on that. My sister is even thinking of throwing them out. I’m thinking they may be okay for outings in the park – but first I’d need attach some webbing or something around that plastic handle first so I could secure it around my wrist and not have to worry about it dropping.

We’ve even thought of not walking the two dogs together – but in reality I’m not sure that will always be a viable option.

So, I wanted to post about this first to say how deliriously happy and grateful I am that Lucky escaped unscathed and warn about using flexi-leashes in populated areas.

I’d also value any advise and opinions on:

1) walking two dogs together – is a coupler the answer? How have you had success in getting them to behave and do their business? Lucky and Razz love to wrestle and play. We try to prevent it when they are outside, but I’m sure she must have been untangling the leashes from this spontaneous playtime when the leash dropped. Any advice would be appreciated

2) any other safety tips – we were lucky this time and I’m not sure a reflective jacket / collar would have made any difference since it all happened so fast – but I am thinking I really should get one of the new puppias with the reflective stripe. Just as an added safety measure.

My sister is still so upset and blaming herself. She says she doesn’t want to be responsible for “killing my dog” but we both walk the two dogs together when we are dog-sitting. I wouldn’t have blamed her, but I want to make sure we’re both taking every safety precaution possible.

I believe you have Pets at Home over there. Well , last month I bought a Halti brand lead. They come in different thickness/clasp combinatios and are multipurpose. They can be a double length lead for one dog, a single length for one dog (Double up the fabric), two leads on one handle, or one continuous lead . I used the latter while walking Teddy and Joly in woodland. You can slide your hand along the lead so one dog walks close, giving the other extra feedom, then swap over. It can also be use fastened over your shoulder or round your waste.

I also bought a training lead, again available in two very long lengths. Ideal for giving on e dog a lot of safe freedom. I won't consider letting off lead, if with multiple dogs, since Anne had her cavalier go missing not far away.

I'v enever liked Flexis. as the wire ones are dangerous and the plastic handles uncomfortable to hold.

Another option is a Euro lead, which is adjustable rather like the Halti leads. I like to hook it around my waist and then down to the dog. It's hands-free walking! I then use a coupler down near the dogs.

I have different length couplers, and now have to add a fourth to include Clancy when he's older.

These are ALL great ideas. :thnku: (so much!!)

Please keep them coming. I am feeling safer already!! :dgwlk:

That was a close call! The woman we've been training with is very anti-flexi for exactly those reasons. When the handle flies out of your hand it makes a noise right behind the dog and if they weren't going to scram before that...that noise will definitely startle them! I used them with Jake and Shelby originally until the one time this same thing happened with me. Jake bolted! :yikes Scared me to death!!

I have the pet walker plus that Jackie shows a link to. I absolutely love it! Jake and Shelby have plenty of freedom to walk separately but I am only holding one leash. If one takes off for any reason or if you drop the leash...they are hooked to each other. I've dropped the leash on accident and with them being connected to each other...they don't go anywhere. It has a swivel so they don't get tangled.

Tell your sister not to feel too bad...I've had the exact same thing happen to me....I was just lucky to grab Jake before he got to the street. Lesson learned.

So glad that Lucky is Ok after the mishap.

I don't often walk my pups together on my own as Henry is only 4 months and tends to bounce/dance when near Lucy (9 months). Usually my husband is with me.

When I am on my own with the two, and am on pavement, I simple loop one basic lead handle through the other one so I end up with one long lead with a clip at each end and there is no way it can come apart. Then I only have to hold onto one thing. It's easy to run my hand down the two lengths to bring them closer and if I want I can let one dog have a longer length of lead than the other. This long lead could even be passed under my belt for extra security and then held and controlled with one hand or two.

On a field or woodland we use 8 m length flexis, unless it is very very safe when I can let them off lead. They need to run and have some measure of freedom, they are dogs after all. I think flexis are wonderful if used with care - shortening them near other people/dogs etc. but they are not as safe as short leads near roads.

For just the reasons you note, I'm anti Flexis for any street area near traffic -- they are fine for open parks though! I had mine pop out when I wasn't paying attention when Jaspar was just a puppy and that persuaded me not to even use one with a single dog, if a puppy could pull them loose. It is very difficult to walk two at a time on a Flexi.

I use normal leads, or couplers but I have always found couplers tangle. Those swivel ones are better. I just got a really deluxe handmade triple leash that comes apart into three separate leads, all with bungie-flexible leads to reduce pulling ability... Nicki has one and will probably remember the name. She said they are fantastic and I decided to go with a Rolls Royvce of leads as walking three is a pain and I have to walk mine four times a day or so. They shipped it to my parents the day before I left so I didn't get it... :( I will be back at the holidays and will collect it then, along with my TWO boxes of Greenies I left behind too... :sl*p:

I cannot even express how relieved I am that Lucky is okay. But given how much we ALL love these little cavs, I'm sure everyone can imagine. I'm so thrilled he's okay and I just don't want anything like that to ever happen again. :dgwlk:

Those swivel leashes seem great to prevent the tangling!!!

There is a JB Wholesale not too far from me. I've never been there, but they have 3 of the chestnut leather one in stock. :) I will probably drive down there tonight or tomorrow to get it.

I'm also really interested in the bungee idea too to reduce pulling so if anyone remembers the named I'd really appreciate the info too.

:thnx: again

I use normal leads, or couplers but I have always found couplers tangle. Those swivel ones are better.

Lani

The coupler website I posted is for a swivel coupler.

Thanks Linda - I noticed that! I think that is the one I am going to get - it looks great and you certainly gave it a great review!!

I HATE flexi's!!! ....they can be so dangerous. icon_whistling

There is nothing wrong with just a normal regular harness and a fixed lead for walking and also and most importantly...plenty of time spent on TRAINING so that your dog comes back on a recall when having free play in safe park/area. :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I am with you on the Flexis Alison ... !!! I cannot believe we ever used them. :sl*p:

I hope we do some work on the recall command in Lucky's kindergarten class. I was thinking of seeing if I can find some links to how to train on it online but I don't want to impact his learning by trying to teach him too much in one week (or teaching something different than the trainer would teach.) That said, for his own safety I really want to get started teaching him. I'll ask his trainer on Saturday if we're going to cover it in class and given our close call maybe she'll let us skip ahead and give me some instructions on how to work on it next week.

I walk both my dogs togther at the same time, it can be interesting to say the least! I just use a regular normal leash, and for extra protection I put my hand thru the loop at the end of the leash and leave it around my wrist, and then grasp the leash in my hand too.

There have been some really nasty accidents with the wire flexis. I cut my hand on one borrowed at a class, years ago, but fairly recently, one of the Dogpages people's hounds got badly injured when one dog tangled in the wire causing it to slice the other dog's leg badly.

Lani said:
I am with you on the Flexis Alison ... !!! I cannot believe we ever used them. :sl*p:

I hope we do some work on the recall command in Lucky's kindergarten class. I was thinking of seeing if I can find some links to how to train on it online but I don't want to impact his learning by trying to teach him too much in one week (or teaching something different than the trainer would teach.) That said, for his own safety I really want to get started teaching him. I'll ask his trainer on Saturday if we're going to cover it in class and given our close call maybe she'll let us skip ahead and give me some instructions on how to work on it next week.

It's never too soon to start on recall....just keep in mind that you will not see a reliable recall until after Lucky passes through his "adolescence"! With my three adult dogs a lot of their training seemingly went out the window from about age 6mos until well after one year. They are almost like human teens; they just HAVE to test the limits! Try not to become discouraged though, and keep working through it even when he appears to be ignoring and defying you!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

One day, almost magically, he will show you that he really WAS paying attention even though it didn't appear so at the time. (y)

I do use a flexi and keep my finger on the button at all times. I find that prevents it from catching. For added security I loop one of the finer show leads around my waist/belt and then again through the plastic handle. That means that even if I was to fall or drop the flexi, it can't frighten the dog by clattering on the ground because there isn't enough reach for the ground. It's also useful if I'm paying for something as it means I can just let go of the handle knowing the dog is still secured to me and safe.

Lani, glad that Lucky is OK! We had a scare with one of ours a long time ago who slipped his collar and ran in the street and it is heart stopping. (It's also why we now use harnesses :lol: ).

We use couplers with a swivel like the ones posted and they work great.

Great advice Barb! Just when you think they are getting the training, they lose focus just like my kids did when they were teenagers. We run our crew (the dogs not the kids) through trained behaviors a few times a week even now to make sure they stay sharp.

Lani, is the trainer doing clicker style training methods?

molly said:
Lani, glad that Lucky is OK! We had a scare with one of ours a long time ago who slipped his collar and ran in the street and it is heart stopping. (It's also why we now use harnesses :lol: ).

We use couplers with a swivel like the ones posted and they work great.

Great advice Barb! Just when you think they are getting the training, they lose focus just like my kids did when they were teenagers. We run our crew (the dogs not the kids) through trained behaviors a few times a week even now to make sure they stay sharp.

Lani, is the trainer doing clicker style training methods?

Thanks, Molly! I do the same with my crew, to keep the skills sharp. When my adult children visit home I run them through their trained behaviors, too! :yikes icon_whistling

Good to mention clickers, too! I LOVE clicker training and would swear by it anytime.

Back